It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 pm 
LOST Addict

I bought one of Wwdiesels rear trilink mounts, and the ironrock UCA. I haven't tested it off road much yet, but here's my initial thoughts:

I had replaced the bushings and ball joint and the lca's 40k ago, so most people will probably get more dramatic results. But, the ball joint was very loose/toast already, and I was getting the wagging sway again. That's much better now, and it's quiet. I was under there two days ago installing the drive line as I replaced the u-joints, and everything looked good, but I need to get under there with a better light.

I've towed heavy a lot, so I need to add an extra rear iso, which will make the rear bushings sit in an almost perfectly neutral position, which will help them last longer. They are at a bit of an angle, maybe 10 degrees as is, which is much better than how the factory one was!
All around it's quite the upgrade. I can't imagine having to replace the factory ball joint every two years otherwise!

My drive line angles went from pinion 8 degrees and transfer case angle at 5 degree, to both at 5 degrees which should reduce vibrations. i adjusted the iron rock to the shortest/bottomed out position. OME lift with no extra clevis, top plates, or pucks/ rear isos...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: Iron Rock rear UCA mount WWdiesel review
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:39 pm 

Thanks Mountainman.
If anyone is interested in this mount, PM or email me. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Sure thing, thanks for making this amazing mod possible!!! I accidentally posted this in the tech section, maybe less viewers? Maybe admin can move it to regular CRD section?

Update: towed a CRD across town on my tow dolly, everything went well with the 6,000 pound load.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

What did you pay for it?
Do you think it will increase how much the rear end will flex vs before?
If your lift was taller would you have issues getting a proper pinion angle?

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

$125 I think, or $140 for the mount? Then the iron rock is about $300? Hmm, I'll go check.
Edit: I ended up at about $436 for the whole thing as I sold WW back the mount that came with the UCA.

The iron rock is adjustable up to roughly 6" I think. It's at the absolute lowest setting with a plain OME HD lift. No problems with pinion angle at all! Only better angle as you can adjust it.
You'll also definitely get more flex as the stock set up is actually binding/holding the axle closer to the body.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mountainman wrote:
$125 I think, or $140 for the mount? Then the iron rock is about $300? Hmm, I'll go check.
Edit: I ended up at about $436 for the whole thing as I sold WW back the mount that came with the UCA.

The iron rock is adjustable up to roughly 6" I think. It's at the absolute lowest setting with a plain OME HD lift. No problems with pinion angle at all! Only better angle as you can adjust it.
You'll also definitely get more flex as the stock set up is actually binding/holding the axle closer to the body.
That's great to hear. I'm keeping it in mind for I feel I'm going to need a new rear uca in the next month or two.

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:30 pm 

This is catching my interest. Are there any photos / installation write-ups available?

Thinking this might be a good thing to do as part of the suspension replacement planned for later this year.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:41 pm 

See this thread:> viewtopic.php?t=87307
If you want a mount, PM me.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:14 am 

I'm definitely interested. A few questions:

It looks as though the bolt / threaded rod (not sure which one it is) used for pinion angle adjustment needs to be cut. This is something that I don't have a good way to do. Do you happen to know what the diameter, length, and thread pitch of the original item is, and what the length needs to be after cutting?

As shown, can this be used at stock height? Ideally, I'd install this before doing the suspension since I need to replace my stock rear UCA and am not running any lift at this time.

Are any modifications to the Iron Rock UCA required other than to the bolt?

Apologies for all of the questions, but I want to be sure that I have a solid game plan for this both before and after lifting.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am 
LOST Member

I used the iron forge version (Ricky Parker original) of the mount..However, I did trim about one inch off of the center joint for more adjustment.... :POPCORN:

06 Renegade, 265-70-16 Duratracs on Moab's/OMF, RL sliders ,roof rack, On board air, JBA-UCA, adjust-a strut, Rear-OME 948 two uppers ,Sensatrac shocks, Boiler rad. skid, Mopar/4x guard skid,Terra-flex 4:1,HD cooling,more lights, gauges. ARB/Warn, Mudds Rear Bumper.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am 

casm wrote:
I'm definitely interested. A few questions:
It looks as though the bolt / threaded rod (not sure which one it is) used for pinion angle adjustment needs to be cut. This is something that I don't have a good way to do. Do you happen to know what the diameter, length, and thread pitch of the original item is, and what the length needs to be after cutting?
As shown, can this be used at stock height? Ideally, I'd install this before doing the suspension since I need to replace my stock rear UCA and am not running any lift at this time.
Are any modifications to the Iron Rock UCA required other than to the bolt?
Apologies for all of the questions, but I want to be sure that I have a solid game plan for this both before and after lifting.

Cutting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the end of the large adjustment Heim joint will allow you more adjustment on the pinion angle.
Anyone with a chop saw or metal band saw can cut a little of the the end of the Heim joint. It could even be done by hand with a hacksaw, but would take quite a looong time. :roll:

For a stock lift you may want to do this? On a lifted vehicle I don't believe it is really necessary, it actually decreases pinion angle which is a good thing.
My driveshaft is setting at 18 degrees, vehicle setting on a lift, suspension at full drop. As the suspension is depressed, pinion angle decreases.

As to the Iron Rock arm, it fits perfectly and requires no modifications. :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 pm 

WWDiesel wrote:
Cutting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the end of the large adjustment Heim joint will allow you more adjustment on the pinion angle.

*Smacks forehead* Oh, duh. It's a Heim joint. Don't know why I didn't spot that initially; it's plain as day in the photos. OK, now things make more sense.

Quote:
Anyone with a chop saw or metal band saw can cut a little of the the end of the Heim joint. It could even be done by hand with a hacksaw, but would take quite a looong time. :roll:

Yeah... I'd prefer to not go the hacksaw route :D Knowing what I'm looking at now makes it a lot clearer as to how I can approach it.

Quote:
For a stock lift you may want to do this? On a lifted vehicle I don't believe it is really necessary, it actually decreases pinion angle which is a good thing.

Possibly, but I'd rather just replace it once and be done with it. My OEM control arm boomerang is in need of replacement anyway, and I'd like to be able to keep the Iron Rock one on there after the lift (only planning on about 2") is on.

Quote:
As to the Iron Rock arm, it fits perfectly and requires no modifications. :roll:

Cool.

So what do you need from me to be able to send one my way? Don't think I can do anything about it until next month, but forewarned is forearmed.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 pm 

casm wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

*Smacks forehead* Oh, duh. It's a Heim joint. Don't know why I didn't spot that initially; it's plain as day in the photos. OK, now things make more sense.
Quote:

Yeah... I'd prefer to not go the hacksaw route :D Knowing what I'm looking at now makes it a lot clearer as to how I can approach it.
Quote:

Possibly, but I'd rather just replace it once and be done with it. My OEM control arm boomerang is in need of replacement anyway, and I'd like to be able to keep the Iron Rock one on there after the lift (only planning on about 2") is on.
Quote:

Cool.
So what do you need from me to be able to send one my way? Don't think I can do anything about it until next month, but forewarned is forearmed.

The neat thing is with the Iron Rock Arm, if you lift later, you will have the ability to adjust the the Heim joint to whatever angle you desire.

PM sent.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:07 pm 
LOST Member

Now for the $1,000,000 question. Where does one get URETHANE bushings for the unibody side? I hate those stupid rubber bushings, and MOOG hasn't made any of their "problem solver" bushings for our boomerang. I have considered making my own, but my time is limited and experimenting with resins doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Anyone ever found a solution for the rear boomerang?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm 

APC9199 wrote:
Now for the $1,000,000 question. Where does one get URETHANE bushings for the unibody side? I hate those stupid rubber bushings, and MOOG hasn't made any of their "problem solver" bushings for our boomerang. I have considered making my own, but my time is limited and experimenting with resins doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Anyone ever found a solution for the rear boomerang?

Have you looked at the Iron Rock control arm, it has some really stiff hard bushings, not like the soft mushy ones on the OEM arm. And I believe they are replaceable... :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Mine rides like stock on the street, and hasn't had so much as a single squeak. Very satisfied customer :rockon:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:20 am 
LOST Member

I have a 4" JBA lift. I started with the JBA Y-adapter with the stock ball joint set up which came with my JBA lift. The Y-adapter came loose due to my lack of thread lock use. I replaced it with the JBA bolt on 4-link. That worked well, but got noisy after a year or less. I kept trying to figure out where the clunks were coming from, but I never figured it out. I just replaced the JBA 4-link with the IRO tri-link and WW's bracket. I had a lot of trouble getting everything to line up, probably from not having a level surface to work on, but I got it in. I did not need to trim the threads due to my 4" lift. I'm not sure my pinion angle is right, but no vibrations from 0-70 mph. I'll recheck the pinion angle when I get a free bay in my garage. I have plenty of adjustment in either direction for my pinion angle.

I'm sure this unit has less articulation than the JBA 4-link, but more than the stock unit with the spacer. It is quieter than my JBA 4-link was. I think I'll stay with it and sell my JBA 4-link.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 am 

WWDiesel - please check your PMs. I think the PM notification system may be broken again. Thanks.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:46 pm 

casm wrote:
WWDiesel - please check your PMs. I think the PM notification system may be broken again. Thanks.

I believe you are correct on the notification system part, never got anything! :shock:
Answered and sent you a couple. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch