It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY flash using MPPS will read, but not write
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:33 am 
LOST Newbie

I just installed the Weeks stage 2 kit, and the next step for me was to flash the ECU, using MPPS V13.02. I am using 7 and it took a bit of wrangling to get the drivers loaded, but I managed to get to the point of successfully downloading the stock ECU this morning.

I determined my firmware is 1037380808P, so I downloaded Nicks 808 mild tune (first one on the list) to my laptop's desktop, Then, I pressed the "Write" button, and selected nick's tune on the desktop. A message at the bottom of the MPPS window said "Controlling ECU setup now. Please wait!!!". the ID, Read, Write, and Exit buttons were all lit, and there was no movement of the progress bar. The laptop was plugged into AC power, and the battery voltage was 12.45 Volts. I waited for approximately 20 minutes, and there was no progress or change in the screen.

Just to check it out, I downloaded Yeti's 808 tune, then started off the process again, backtracking to the point of reading my ECU a second time, verifying the 808 firmware, and then pressed the "Write" button. The results were the same as my first attempt, but this time I waited for an hour before giving up on the tune. The ECU with factory tune is still apparently intact, as I am able to start the engine.

I was not sure where to put this post, so please don't flame me if this is the wrong spot. I (obviously) am a newby here. :oops:

meach4x4
2006 CRD "Ruby"
1.5" OME Lift
JBA UCAs
5v gloplugs
Samco Hoses
Recent Fuel filter head upgrade, Weeks kit, and ProVent 200
No tune yet :banghead:

Post subject: Re: DIY flash using MPPS will read, but not write
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
your description is not quite specific enough that I can identify what is happening, but it appears as if you are trying to do a read and write on the same session. This may very well be possible, but I' have never done it that way.

When I flash tune, I connect the laptop physically with the obd2 connector, start the mpps program, then turn the key on. Once the mpps has identified and acknowledged the proper profile and vehicle VIN. When I select 'write' at this point, it directs me to select what tune I wish to write.

This is when the loading process starts.

I may be incorrect, but my interpretation of your session, sounds like it thinks you are trying to write the program you just read. Again, It may be possible, but I"ve only done 'read' with the OEM program, saved it in multiple formats and places, and never combined a read with a write session.
I do not have a GDE tune yet, but I understand that changing their tunes involves switching to the OEM tune before writing a different tune. With the MPPS tunes, this is not necessary. You can write directly from one tune to another, as long as they are both the correct format for your YM vehicle.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Gordnado, Thank you for your reply. I did start a new session each time I tried to write. I followed your procedure, and still no write.

I tried uninstalling the MPPS software and reinstalling it several times, and using different sources for the downloads. Then tried to write a tune to the ECU, and was unsuccessful. I am at the point where I feel fairly sure there is a problem with the interface cable or a problem with the MPPS software. I don't know enough about the electronics of the OBD2 interface to know if it is even possible for a bad cable to make it impossible to perform a write function and no problem doing a read. I am running out of things to look for.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, and had to add drivers downloaded from the allcarstuning.com site. They appear to work fine during the read process. Perhaps a faulty driver load could be a possible cause for my "read but no write" problem???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm having similar problems with the software for my MPPS v13.02 cable. The driver and software download but when I connect to the Jeep it will read the ecu id and populate the window with the car info (VIN, Chrysler info, Bosch info, etc.) and then almost immediately says "No reply from ECU" in the progress strip at the bottom.

I've reloaded the driver and software from different sources with no success. Something is amiss here but I can't figure it out. Online search suggests I may have the wrong ecu selected, but the 2.8L CRD Bosch EDC 16CP32 K-line/CAN appears to be correct for my application, and this is what the ecu data box is displaying...(make and model are correct and key is on! :roll: )

Is there a known source for the software/driver downloads that is better than others or is that not the problem here?

2009 VW Jetta TDI (totaled)
2006 Ford F-350 diesel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:59 pm 
LOST Addict

MPPS is meant to run on XP. Archaic, I know.
I know that in Windows 7 there is way to run applications in "XP mode."
I think a similar feature is available for win 10.

I run MPPS on a old Toughbook with XP. No issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Meach, I would proceed very cautiously. If you are unsure of the software I wouldn't do it.

I attempted to write the same tune today and I think I wiped out the ecu. :cry:

See my post entitled "ECU wiped?" under the love that torque forum for more details and a possible fix. (I didn't want to post it here because it asks several questions-like how do I get out of this mess- and that is a no-no on the CRD Tech forum).

2006 Ford F-350 diesel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
There is a very large number or sellers of the MPPS V13.02 on Ebay alone.

It's likely there is a variability of hardware quality, but I have no idea how to tell the good from the bad.

Also check your OBD2 connector for pins that are bent or retracted. Not common, but I've seen it.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

I thought about sending it in for a professional reboot/flash, but Keith at GDE says they won't even take the ecu in its current condition. Too time consuming and too costly to start from scratch, he says. His advice: take it to the dealer to reflash with VIN. Good luck with that one. I won't even waste my time just to have them try to pitch me on a new ecu $$$$!

Well, between the "DIY ECU Flash" thread and the Git-it-garage youtube video how-to I was pretty much led down the garden path to bricking my ecu. I followed every instruction to a tee and I now have a 3800 pound brick instead of a car...it sounds pretty easy until something goes wrong and all hell breaks loose. My advice to anyone contemplating a knock-off MPPS cable paired with internet freeware: DON'T DO IT! It just isn't worth the risk... :banghead:

There, I feel better now....not really.

2006 Ford F-350 diesel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

More like a 4200 lb brick. (Without driver)
I’m sure that makes you feel a whole lot better. :wink:

I’m pretty sure this is fixable.
Only a portion of the ECM is writable with MPPS.
It’s just a matter of getting all the bits put back in the correct order.

I once tested loading the wrong tune into my 811 ECM.
Cranked but wouldn’t start.
Loaded the correct tune and it ran again.

Last week at work I turned a $35,000 piece of hardware into a brick.
I believe it’s fixable.
Just waiting for General Dynamics to get back to me on how to do it :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

These ECUs are EXTREMELY hard to brick. Worst case scenario as long as you've done a full read on it you need to find someone with a DIMSPORT tuner and they can flash it and get it back up and functional. Personal experience talking here.... Lightspeed Innovations in Red Deer, Alberta saved my bacon big time. http://lightspeedinnovations.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:49 pm 
LOST Addict

You might also call around to the various companies that sell refurbished Ecu's. Just google the ecu part number and go from there.
X2 on the dealer route also, they might just end up being the cheapest option, however unlikely

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete