It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD limp Mode
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello to everyone, new to the forum, and id like everyones opinion on something..

Okay so the story goes:
Purchsed a well run 2006 CRD. Ran like crap when i got it. Immediately replaced the fuel filter and replaced orings/crush washers on injectors 1,2, and 3. Ran compression test on cylinder 4. And it came back good so i left it alone.
Further inspection i learned the timing was off i re-did the timing belt. And ive got no cat, muffler, exhaust pipe. Its been hacked off just passed the engine

Eveything was Awesome for about 3 weeks. Now itll randomly go into Limp Mode, shut off the jeep. Wait a minute and restart it runs good.
Sit in traffic in Florida for 10minutes during rush hour. Repeat the process.

Next day (today) its running perfectly.

Popped the hood and notices some bulging on the intercooler line/charge pipe? From the intercooler to the EGR. planning on buying that on payday.

Should i just bite the bullet and tune an EGR Delete? Or just replace the pipe and hope for the best? And information is greatly appreciated. And if this problem is common, what have you done to fix it?

Thanks in Advance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: CRD limp Mode
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:03 am 
LOST Member

Welcome to the site...best site for the KJ CRD!

You should ideally post questions like this in the "Liberty CRD Love That Torque section" where questions are answered.

The KJ dying and then restarting after a few seconds with no codes could be a dirty fuel filter.

I had this happen to me on a long trip in my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD...would grind to a halt and after few seconds I could carry on. Got worse until I reached my destination and drove straight to a friend who ran a large vehicle repair center.
He fitted the new Mopar fuel filter which I had stored under my seat waiting for the Magic Fairy to replace for me and all problems were solved. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for that! My local auto part stores dont regularly stock the filters for my CRD. going to order it in the morning

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check Fuel Filter AND Air Filter (can cause the IAP Sensor to misread Intake Air Pressure). then go from there...

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

DarbyWalters wrote:
Check Fuel Filter AND Air Filter (can cause the IAP Sensor to misread Intake Air Pressure). then go from there...
Air filter is new and so is the fuel filter, im thinking its the charge pipe from the intercooler to the EGR, I've got one coming hooefully tonight.

New information though. If i leave it in neutral while at red lights it runs fine for HOURS..

But drive will cause limp mode

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:43 am 
LOST Member

Jimbowden56 wrote:
DarbyWalters wrote:
Air filter is new and so is the fuel filter, im thinking its the charge pipe from the intercooler to the EGR, I've got one coming hooefully tonight.

New information though. If i leave it in neutral while at red lights it runs fine for HOURS..

Could be a Transmission code putting it into limp mode.

You need to get any stored codes read out to see what it is complaining about :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:47 am 
LOST Member

Double post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Billybob wrote:
Jimbowden56 wrote:
DarbyWalters wrote:

Could be a Transmission code putting it into limp mode.

You need to get any stored codes read out to see what it is complaining about :wink:
No tranny codes present. Charge pipe replaced and it seems fine now. 55 miles since install

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 am 
LOST Newbie

So you stated earlier that it goes into a limp mode,you stop and restart the engine and it runs fine again? So it does not shut down on you unexpected?right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Agree with all the basic fluids / filters service Just so you know.

I hate to jump at first glance, but this sounds like classic Crankshaft position sensor symptoms. Sometimes they will show a DTC code, but often they don't.

What happens is when the engine is fully cold or fully hot, the block and sensor are thermally stable, and have no issues. The trouble usually happens when the engine is either in process of warming up, or in process of cooling, and displays like this:
1) You go out in the morning, it's cool, the engine starts fine, you get in and begin to drive. SOMEwhere in the first few miles while the engine is coming up to temperature, it suddenly dies. You pull over. Sometimes it cranks and won't start. Sometimes it won't even crank. So you call a tow service, and sit there while the engine cools off. When the tow service arrives, they ask you what the problem is, so you go to show him the problem, and the darn thing fires right up (since it has cooled down.) You pay the tow service for their dry call, and begin to drive back home. Halfway back home, it dies again, so you call the tow service or some buddy to pull you the rest of the way home.

2) You go out in the morning, it's cool, the engine starts fine, you get in and begin to drive to work. Everything works as normal. The engine comes to full temp, somehow without problem, and you unknowingly stop to pick up a biscuit and coffee. While you're in the store, the block is outside cooling off. - not a lot, just enough that the wires in the CKP move and the signal is corrupted when you go to start it, and all it will do is crank (or nothing at all.) You call a tow service to get it back home. (Engine continues to cool off) Tow service arrives - it starts immediately -

Seeing a pattern here?

They can be accessed from above or below, but either way will test your swearing skills.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set