It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heavy smoke after sitting.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all, I've had my liberty for about 6 months now and it is a great vehicle that I love. Recently it seems that after the vehicle is warm and I let it sit for about an hour and then get back in to go it seems to have an issue. It doesn't smoke on start up, but once I get out of the driveway it seems to run rough and then I get a big cloud of blueish white smoke and then the engine will smooth out after aboit 10 seconds and the smoke will disappear. I'm starting to think possible warn rockers? Although I have no idea if that would be the cause, I only say so because runs rough for those few short moments. I know I'm also due for a timing belt change etc. Never does it any other time that what ive just stated. Vehicle gets used on highway with mostly highway driving and very little city driving.

My vehicle has 165,000km or about 100k miles. Other than that it runs perfect, starts no problem when cold, doesn't smoke what so ever other than a little bit of black smoke if I floor it. No other odd sounds that I can pick up over the diesel clatter.

Yeti stock tune with deletes, cat delete, custom intake using stock elbow and maf housing [which the maf is unplugged and deleted through tune]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Heavy smoke after sitting.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:13 pm 

Jpd686 wrote:
Hello all, I've had my liberty for about 6 months now and it is a great vehicle that I love. Recently it seems that after the vehicle is warm and I let it sit for about an hour and then get back in to go it seems to have an issue. It doesn't smoke on start up, but once I get out of the driveway it seems to run rough and then I get a big cloud of blueish white smoke and then the engine will smooth out after aboit 10 seconds and the smoke will disappear. I'm starting to think possible warn rockers? Although I have no idea if that would be the cause, I only say so because runs rough for those few short moments. I know I'm also due for a timing belt change etc. Never does it any other time that what ive just stated. Vehicle gets used on highway with mostly highway driving and very little city driving.

My vehicle has 165,000km or about 100k miles. Other than that it runs perfect, starts no problem when cold, doesn't smoke what so ever other than a little bit of black smoke if I floor it. No other odd sounds that I can pick up over the diesel clatter.

Yeti stock tune with deletes, cat delete, custom intake using stock elbow and maf housing [which the maf is unplugged and deleted through tune]

Are you loosing any antifreeze/coolant level out of the coolant reservoir tank on the firewall?
White smoke generally can indicate a head gasket leaking.

You can do a simple test. After letting it set overnight, remove the coolant reservoir tank cap to ensure there is no pressure in the coolant system.
Reinstall the coolant reservoir tank cap, start the engine, run it for about one full minute and then shut it down.
Immediately remove the coolant reservoir tank cap slowly and listen for any pressure escaping.
If you hear pressure escaping, your head gasket is leaking or you possible have a cracked head.
Also, if you see bubbles coming out of the coolant liquid when you first start the engine cold, that is sign that your are getting compression pumped into the coolant aka head gasket leak or cracked head.

There is also combustion leak detector for coolant available at the parts stores and on line.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok I'll check that when I'm done work and report back. It's more of a blueish color then white so pretty sure it's oil. Would either of the senerios you posed make it run rough for a few seconds only when warm after sitting? Doesn't do it everytime. Probably about once a week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Also, in the time I've had it I have not had to add coolant and there is still coolant in the reservoir. So if it is going down, it's so miniscule I don't notice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

The coolant reservoir does not bubble after doing the test you described.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:44 pm 

Jpd686 wrote:
The coolant reservoir does not bubble after doing the test you described.
That's good!

So if you suspect it to be oil smoke, are you loosing any oil level?
Do you still have the EGR in service?
A small amount of oil should not make it skip or run rough.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I'm losing a little bit, but I have the ehm done so I assumed it was because of that. Not enough that I have had to add any but I'll pay closer attention once I do my next oil change which is due shortly. The EGR is still there but is disabled through the Yeti tune I believe.