It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to un**** my TCM?
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:48 am 
LOST Member

I want to get back to pre f37 recall. What’s my options? I asked suncoast and they seemed to be clueless.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

Post subject: Re: How to un**** my TCM?
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 pm 

Jett wrote:
I want to get back to pre f37 recall. What’s my options? I asked suncoast and they seemed to be clueless.

Options are very limited! :ALONE: :cry:
I think you only have a very few options since GDE is not doing TCM's for the US market anymore. (thanks to the evil EPA thugs)
    1. Find and purchase a used TCM that never had the F37 flash done to it. (very rare)
    2. Find a used TCM that has the econo GED flash done to it. (doable, a couple have been sold on this forum)
    3. Find someone who can perform a reprogram/modify shift points on your TCM. (if you find someone who can perform this service, please share)

Maybe another member of LOST like My66Dodge who is in the business can offer suggestions of who might be able to modify a TCM's shift points? :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:59 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Jett wrote:

Options are very limited! :ALONE: :cry:
I think you only have a very few options since GDE is not doing TCM's for the US market anymore. (thanks to the evil EPA thugs)
    1. Find and purchase a used TCM that never had the F37 flash done to it. (very rare)
    2. Find a used TCM that has the econo GED flash done to it. (doable, a couple have been sold on this forum)
    3. Find someone who can perform a reprogram/modify shift points on your TCM. (if you find someone who can perform this service, please share)

Maybe another member of LOST like My66Dodge who is in the business can offer suggestions of who might be able to modify a TCM's shift points? :juggle:

Dude you are so helpful thank you! Yeah I read about suncoast working out a solution with this and offering it for 250$ but this isn’t reality? Such a shame. I don’t quite get why gde would stop trans tunes since that is only going to help emissions and the reason behind the reprogram in the first place was just to bolster the weak TC. But they seem to be throwing their hands up with all of it. Oh well. Can’t I just pretend to be from Canada? Or some other country that still has freedom?

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:29 pm 

Jett wrote:
Dude you are so helpful thank you! Yeah I read about suncoast working out a solution with this and offering it for 250$ but this isn’t reality? Such a shame. I don’t quite get why gde would stop trans tunes since that is only going to help emissions and the reason behind the reprogram in the first place was just to bolster the weak TC. But they seem to be throwing their hands up with all of it. Oh well. Can’t I just pretend to be from Canada? Or some other country that still has freedom?

A possible workaround. :D
Sent you a private eMail & a PM.
Can't post public due to possible evil EPA thugs may be monitoring this forum. :frankie: :furious:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:09 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Jett wrote:

A possible workaround. :D
Sent you a private eMail & a PM.
Can't post public due to possible evil EPA thugs may be monitoring this forum. :frankie: :furious:

I wish I could have manual mode for hiway driving. Looking at specs the gde econo tune says it has 5th lock at 58mph which is pretty close to what I already have so?

Do you think anyone knows what percentage of them actually came in for the recall? Is there a way to tell if a tcm unit has been ruined from the outside or must it be driven to test the shift points?
Huh. I wish I knew more about electricity, but I could imagine a simple hack where the speed sensor input signal into the TCM could have a resistor or a pot on it so that you could trick it into thinking you were going faster than you are, and the shift points would be adjustable that way. If on a pot you could get econo mode and sport/tow mode which I could consider the f37 program to be.

Last edited by Jett on Thu May 14, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:26 pm 
LOST Addict

FOLLOWING...

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:32 pm 

Jett wrote:
I wish I could have manual mode for hiway driving. Looking at specs the gde econo tune says it has 5th lock at 58mph which is pretty close to what I already have so?
Do you think anyone knows what percentage of them actually came in for the recall? Is there a way to tell if a tcm unit has been ruined from the outside or must it be driven to test the shift points?
Huh. I wish I knew more about electricity, but I could imagine a simple hack where the speed sensor input signal into the TCM could have a resistor or a pot on it so that you could trick it into thinking you were going faster than you are, and the shift points would be adjustable that way. If on a pot you could get econo mode and sport/tow mode which I could consider the f37 program to be.

The only way I know of is to drive it and see where it shifts into TC lockup/overdrive.

The sensors are are mostly 3 wire sensors,
1. a ground,
2. actual waveform signal from the sensor
3. a 5 volt reference signal.
The TCM may look at engine speed, vehicle speed, and transmission speed as there are several speed sensors supplying information to it.
Nothing is simple on this vehicle.... :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:47 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Jett wrote:

The only way I know of is to drive it and see where it shifts into TC lockup/overdrive.

The sensors are are mostly 3 wire sensors,
1. a ground,
2. actual waveform signal from the sensor
3. a 5 volt reference signal.
The TCM may look at engine speed, vehicle speed, and transmission speed as there are several speed sensors supplying information to it.
Nothing is simple on this vehicle.... :banghead:

Not simple but, could be worse. It’s not German! Yeah that’s what I was afraid of. Still seems like it would be possible maybe with arduino or raspberry.

Now hold on, what’s this? Turns out 05 has a simple speed sensor hack to change shift points a little. If 235 is the biggest size thats unfortunate but it might help a little and seems affordable. I’m using 265/75/16 so quite a bit bigger, exacerbating the problem.

viewtopic.php?t=47999

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

Okay well I’ve ordered a SUNCOAST, a transgo shift kit, a new front pump, and a fluid change with 5qt mopar juice. I almost didn’t order the front pump but y’all convinced me. Trying to track down a drb3 scanner to see about changing my tire size as big as possible. Also ordered a used TCM that will probably be neutered as well, but gives me a spare that I can send off if someone has a solution for the program.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:23 pm 

Jett wrote:
Okay well I’ve ordered a SUNCOAST, a transgo shift kit, a new front pump, and a fluid change with 5qt mopar juice. I almost didn’t order the front pump but y’all convinced me. Trying to track down a drb3 scanner to see about changing my tire size as big as possible. Also ordered a used TCM that will probably be neutered as well, but gives me a spare that I can send off if someone has a solution for the program.

Good for you, your Jeep will love you for it! Note: It will take more than 5qt.s ATF+4 to fill the transmission when installing a new torque converter.
Only use ATF+4 and nothing else! Also the 545RFE is a big transmission and it is most happy if you run it about 1/2 quart over the "Full when Hot" mark.

FYI, the SnapOn Verus scanner can also set the tire size if you can find a local shop that has one and a person that knows how to use it.
Or go to a dealer that has the DRBIII and pay them to change the tire size in the body computer. They can do this without changing anything else.
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:40 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Jett wrote:

Good for you, your Jeep will love you for it! Note: It will take more than 5qt.s ATF+4 to fill the transmission when installing a new torque converter.
Only use ATF+4 and nothing else! Also the 545RFE is a big transmission and it is most happy if you run it about 1/2 quart over the "Full when Hot" mark.

FYI, the SnapOn Verus scanner can also set the tire size if you can find a local shop that has one and a person that knows how to use it.
Or go to a dealer that has the DRBIII and pay them to change the tire size in the body computer. They can do this without changing anything else.

Great thanks for the intel. I was thinking 5qt seemed a little light for it. So, I read that the biggest size in the drb3 is 235/75 which is only 2% bigger than stock, but I thought i saw an inch size listed as options in the ecu that was like 30” or 30.5 significantly bigger than 235 so my hope was to maybe see that as option on one of these. Maybe the snap on is better?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

So, how many mystery junkyard TCM’s would a guy have to test in order to find one that somehow missed the f37 recall?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jett wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
Jett wrote:

Great thanks for the intel. I was thinking 5qt seemed a little light for it. So, I read that the biggest size in the drb3 is 235/75 which is only 2% bigger than stock, but I thought i saw an inch size listed as options in the ecu that was like 30” or 30.5 significantly bigger than 235 so my hope was to maybe see that as option on one of these. Maybe the snap on is better?
You need to be able to change revolutions per mile.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:01 pm 
LOST Member

Okay so I got a used TCM and lugged it in for a test drive in the long shot hope that it was not molested by Chrysler. It works however it has a curious shift at 55mph, on a smooth acceleration it seems to shift into top gear around 50 but at 55 it down shifts and then immediately up shifts again. Does this sound strange?
Also, does the module need to be grounded by the bolts that install it? I simply plugged it in and let it flop around so the case was not grounded and I wondered if that might have messed up the way it works.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:58 pm 

I would never run a computer module without it being grounded to the chassis even if it was only simple jumper wire from the case to a good ground point. :2cents:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:48 am 
LOST Member

I’m curious if the f37 tune actually makes a good towing tune. Seems like it might? I’m wondering if keeping both a factory f37 and a hemi 5.7 tcms in car and being able to switch them