It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fitting a Provent 200 oil catch can in a RHD KJ 2.8 CRD...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

In the LHD version of the KJ CRD there is enough room behind the power steering fluid reservoir (PSFR) and the firewall to fit a Provent 200, but in the RHD version the vacuum brake servo is in the way.
I tried relocating the PSFR into the small gap between the left side of the coolant expansion tank and the servo, but the brake pipe to the servo also gets in the way...I tried bending the brake pipe to get more room but I would have had to bend it so much it could have broken the pipe, leaving me with no brakes and brake fluid everywhere eating my paintwork! So I put it back at it was and went for plan B...Mounting the Provent behind the Battery, as others with RHD models have done, which required much longer pipework. I was lucky to find a 1 inch OD rubber hose, with a 3/4 bore, about 3-4 feet long that had been pre moulded to have a 45 degree bend at one end and a 90 degree bend at the other. And about a metre of 3/4 inch (19mm) OD thin wall Aluminium tube. I already had 16 inch length of blue 34mm OD silicone hose, with a 1 inch bore. And lastly, I managed to find some flexible black plastic sleeving, also with a 1 inch bore...I now had everything needed to fit the Provent. I cut two 2 inch lengths from the 3/4 Aly tube to act as hose joiners and one 13" length for the inlet pipe to the Provent and one 13 3/4 inch length for the outlet pipe. To join the pipes to the Provent, I cut two 3 inch lengths from the blue Silicone hose. Then used two 30mm off cuts from the 1 inch OD hose, slid inside the end of the silicone hoses on the Provent to act as reducers.
The 45 degree end on the 1 inch hose went onto the CCV puck on the rocker cover and I routed it between the viscous heater pipes and one of the leak off pipes.
The return pipe from the Provent was routed around the oil filler stem using the 90 degree bend on the other end.
The original CCV hose running from the puck to the bottom of the turbo inlet hose, was cut about 1 1/2 inch back from where it bends left towards the puck and using one of the 2" hose joiners I made earlier, I joined the bent part back to it, but facing this time facing away from puck.
The other joiner was used to join that hose to the new 1 inch hose routed around the oil filler stem.
I just need to trim all the rubber hoses to perfect length and then I added some of the plastic sleeving to prevent wear & tear of the 1 inch hoses.
Then I clamped all the joins down gas tight with 22-35mm hose clips...11 clips in all.
I also cut a 3 inch vertical slot in the plastic engine cover to allow clearance for the Aly pipes to run across to the Provent when the cover is on.
Lastly, I modified the front left ball stud holder, made of hexagon bar, as I needed to raise the viscous heater pipes by 8mm (5/16") so the outgoing hose wouldn't be pressing down on the leak off pipe under it. This required removing the holder, removing the ball stud from it and then cutting 8mm off the bottom of the hexagon part, the M8 threaded part going with it. Then drilling right through the remainder using the M6 thread in the top as a template. Then opening the new hole in the bottom out to 7mm (tapping drill size for M8), but only to 10mm deep) then tapping it with standard M8 x 1.25mm thread and then fully tightening an M8 bolt into it.
The thread of the bolt coming out of the Hexagon was cut to between 18-20mm long and the end tidied up with a file until an M8 nut could be screwed on to it easily, and I refitted the ball stud to it...Now it was ready to fit. To raise the viscous heater pipes I simply slid an M10 nut, which is 8mm deep, between the head and the viscous heater pipe bracket...Now I could reinstall the modded ball stud holder and zip tie the outgoing hose to the left hand viscous heater pipe, lifting it safely away from vulnerable leak off pipe below. Lastly I fitted the engine cover back on and it was job done!

Post subject: Re: Fitting a Provent 200 oil catch can in a RHD KJ 2.8 CRD.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:43 pm 

Looks Good, nothing like reengineering to make a vehicle better.
As to the plastic engine cover, toss it, it only holds heat in the engine area and does not allow it to breath properly.
The plastic cover is purely cosmetic and really serves no other purpose.
Many owners including myself have removed them for good.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:58 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Looks Good, nothing like reengineering to make a vehicle better.
As to the plastic engine cover, toss it, it only holds heat in the engine area and does not allow it to breath properly.
The plastic cover is purely cosmetic and really serves no other purpose.
Many owners including myself have removed them for good.... :wink:

I did consider it, but I like the look with it on. And it's getting colder here, being winter and all, so I need to keep all the heat in the engine I can. MY OEM stat packed up and the engine would stay cold even after driving 10 miles on on a motorway! I installed a Renault 5 stat in my radiator hose and an 11 bladed plastic fan off the 3.7 gasser, and everything works perfect now.
The cover also helps to reduce some of the noise from the engine, and lets face it, that is important when your trying to listen to the radio. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:01 am 
LOST Member

Yay more “advice” from from a maclarren “employee”. Please nobody follow anything this person tries to pass off as knowledge. Dude doesn’t know which end of a screwdriver to hold.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Jett wrote:
Yay more “advice” from from a maclarren “employee”. Please nobody follow anything this person tries to pass off as knowledge. Dude doesn’t know which end of a screwdriver to hold.

Before chiming in with completely unwarranted insults, I suggest you learn how to spell Mclaren properly...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:25 pm 

Reminder: Name calling is not allowed.
You kids be nice to one another...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:59 pm 
LOST Member

jeepsterkj wrote:
Jett wrote:

Before chiming in with completely unwarranted insults, I suggest you learn how to spell Mclaren properly...

Don’t really care. I drive Ferrari

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual