It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric Engine Fan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone used an electric engine fan to replace the factory pulley driven fan and fan clutch?

I have a 16” electric fan laying around. Planning on doing the timing belt here soon, I have seen some even replace the fan clutch. Looking for thoughts on replacing with the electric fan. I believe it spins at 2500-3000 rpm.

I dealt if I could get it wired up to the fan control that’d be great. But I could also wire it up to a switch. I watch the water temp all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Electric Engine Fan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:23 pm 

Please add information on your Jeep, mods, upgrades, etc...
If you look in "User Control Panel" (top right), and click on "Profile", you can update your Signature, edit your Profile, and add an Avatar if you so desire.
This information greatly helps others when responding to questions or making comments.
Moderator,
:SOMBRERO:

As to your question, if you search this forum, there are several who have tried and / or done this before.
The general consensus is, no electric fan can move the amount of air flow that a good 11 blade mechanical fan can perform.
Green Diesel Engineering wrote:
Back in 2013 they posted: The stock mechanical fan (at full engagement) will pull about 5400 cfm at rated speed (4000 rpm engine). You will be hard pressed to find another fan that will pull more air within the space limitations.

Plug this into your Browser's search bar (Google):> "mechanical fan vs electric" site:www.lostjeeps.com/forum/
It will provide you with some of the posts in LOSTJeeps on the subject.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I ran my CRD without a mechanical fan for a couple of years without any issues. I put it back because I needed to use my KJ to tow more often.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:33 pm 

bugnout wrote:
I ran my CRD without a mechanical fan for a couple of years without any issues. I put it back because I needed to use my KJ to tow more often.

Towing a large load really puts a strain on the small 2.8 diesel engine cooling system and transmission cooling capacity, especially in the hot high temperatures and 90+ humidity like we experience here in the SouthEast US. Optimizing existing OEM engine cooling with the GM 11 blade fan and HD fan clutch can really help with engine cooling capacities and overheating issues when towing or otherwise.
Adding an additional transmission cooler along with a deep sump transmission oil pan with added ATF fluid capacity that has cooling fins in it and on it can really make a big difference to help hold down high transmission fluid temperatures especially when towing heavy loads in adverse temperature conditions.

It took me a while to figure out the right combination of fans, coolers, and oil pans, to obtain sufficient engine and transmission cooling, but I finally got it figured out and now it never runs hot, engine or transmission even when towing a 4k+ load in 100+ degree temperatures along with 95+ humidity. :BANANA:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
It took me a while to figure out the right combination of fans, coolers, and oil pans, to obtain sufficient engine and transmission cooling, but I finally got it figured out and now it never runs hot, engine or transmission even when towing a 4k+ load in 100+ degree temperatures along with 95+ humidity. :BANANA:

Dang! 4,000 lb loads. Don’t think I should ever be concerned with 1,200-1,500 lbs I plan on towing. Any more than that and I’ll use my dodge ha ha

Who makes a deep pan for these Jeeps? I have a Mag Hytech on my truck that I am pretty happy with. What’s the normal capacity Vs a deep pan capacity?

What trans do these things have in them?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:21 pm 

WWDiesel wrote:

RockinRam96 wrote:
Dang! 4,000 lb loads. Don’t think I should ever be concerned with 1,200-1,500 lbs I plan on towing. Any more than that and I’ll use my dodge ha ha
Who makes a deep pan for these Jeeps? I have a Mag Hytech on my truck that I am pretty happy with. What’s the normal capacity Vs a deep pan capacity?
PML makes a very nice deep sump transmission oil pan with cooling fins inside and outside along with holding several additional quarts of ATF once installed which facilitates much better fluid cooling. It also come with a drain plug and is predrilled and tapped for a 1/8" NPT temperature sensor. See pictures & link. Geno's Garage has the best price for this pan online. (Note: 545RFE & 68RFE transmissions use the same oil pan They also make and offer a super deep version of this pan, but you don't need it on the Jeep Liberty, it would hang down too low!
Link: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/PML10304/transmission-pans

The transmission in the Jeep Liberty diesels is the Chrysler 545RFE

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

RockinRam96 wrote:
PML makes a very nice deep sump transmission oil pan with cooling fins inside and outside along with holding several additional quarts of ATF once installed which facilitates much better fluid cooling. It also come with a drain plug and is predrilled and tapped for a 1/8" NPT temperature sensor. See pictures & link. Geno's Garage has the best price for this pan online. (Note: 545RFE & 68RFE transmissions use the same oil pan They also make and offer a super deep version of this pan, but you don't need it on the Jeep Liberty, it would hang down too low!
Link: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/PML10304/transmission-pans

The transmission in the Jeep Liberty diesels is the Chrysler 545RFE

Thanks for the info… I have the 68RFE in my dodge pick up, like the 68 are there issues with the spin on trans filter nipple breaking and the filter falling off inside the pan?

Will a 68RFE steel nipple work in a 545 trans?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:32 pm 

RockinRam96 wrote:

Yes it will! I replaced the flemissy plastic nipple with a steel one when I serviced my transmission while I was installed the PML deep sump transmission oil pan.
Geno's Garage has them, cost is peanuts compared to a filter falling off.
https://www.genosgarage.com/category/s? ... eel+nipple

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:19 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
RockinRam96 wrote:

Yes it will! I replaced the flemissy plastic nipple with a steel one when I serviced my transmission while I was installed the PML deep sump transmission oil pan.
Geno's Garage has them, cost is peanuts compared to a filter falling off.
https://www.genosgarage.com/category/s? ... eel+nipple

Good to know. As I mentioned I put a Mag Hytech trans pan and a steel spin on filter nipple on my Dodge. But that strictly pulls my horse trailer and my flat deck. I have noticed a drop in trans temps. No sure if it is worth it for me to add the trans pan at this point in time.

The previous owner just sent me a full service kit minus the fluids for the engine, trans and rear end. Going to get everything serviced once the lift kit is installed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:19 pm 
LOST Member

I just installed one of these pans the other day. I've had the trans temp gauge in my A-pillar pod for a while now but kept putting this off. Now getting ready for fishing season I decided to install the pan so Id have a good handle on transmission temperatures as It gets crazy hot here in The Dalles in the summers and I have a 7 mile 2,000' grade to climb with the Libby to get home. Highway driving's not the problem as there's plenty of air passing through the cooler but when you're only doing 20-35 up windy curvy roads in 100+ degree weather that can be a problem. Yesterday I took the boat out and coming back (70F) the trans temp never got over 150 in the pan. Not sure what that correlates to in the transmission but I think having the extra 3 quarts capacity in the pan plus the rapid heat transfer of aluminum will surely make a difference. I have a thermostatically controlled, fanned, tranny cooler that I need to install as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:05 pm 

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
I have a thermostatically controlled, fanned, tranny cooler that I need to install as well.

You probably won't need it. The PML pan made a huge difference on mine when towing in 100+ degree heat and very high humidity. :D
The pan fluid temperature on mine never gets much above 190 regardless of towing or ambient air conditions. :BANANA:
It was a real game changer! :SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
I have a thermostatically controlled, fanned, tranny cooler that I need to install as well.

You probably won't need it. The PML pan made a huge difference on mine when towing in 100+ degree heat and very high humidity. :D
The pan fluid temperature on mine never gets much above 190 regardless of towing or ambient air conditions. :BANANA:
It was a real game changer! :SOMBRERO:

Plus it has a drain plug!!! :BANANA:

"Giddyup" is my 2005 Liberty CRD
"Maya" is my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD powered by the mighty Cummins ISB 5.9 with 6spd G56 manual trans
"Mr Ed" is my 1980 Toyota Pickup Flatbed, 20R engine, 4 speed manual, NO power steering, NO A/C