It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water proofing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

how can i water proof my diffs. i heard something about raising the breather tube but im a little confused. after my last badlands trip my diffs filled back up with muck and i had a friend change the fluids again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:33 pm 
LOST Addict

In the tech section is an article on extending the breather tubes.

Breather Article - A how to

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Don't forget the tranny breather, some years you have to drop the trans to get to it. I had to on mine.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If youre getting it in the diffs there a darn good chance its in the tranny and tcase.. Fun times. Not sure what kinda breather the standard tranny has though..

All youve got to do is lengthen the vent tubes. If you spend long periods of time sitting int he water it will seep by the axle seals, nothing much you can do about that other than change all the fluids after being in water.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject: Re: water proofing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:29 am 
LOST Junkie

Ms5490renegade wrote:
how can i water proof my diffs

stay out of the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:29 am 
LOST Junkie

how can i clean under the car to see things. i play in mud and my jeep is dirty. its like 5 outside and my bumper is currently held on by 1 clip so i cant go through a car wash. is there any easy way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ms5490renegade wrote:
how can i clean under the car to see things. i play in mud and my jeep is dirty. its like 5 outside and my bumper is currently held on by 1 clip so i cant go through a car wash. is there any easy way?
Suck it up and use the manual car wash bays,wear some real warm clothes and go to town on the undercarriage,bring about $20 in quarters.I wash my Jeep,paying alot of attention to the undercarriage,every sunday even if it's snowing,raining,or -30degrees outside.

Not washing your undercarriage after playing in the mud and such(or at least once a moth) can lead to problems,corrosion being the biggest one,taking out seals is the second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:47 am 
LOST Member

Man up and crawl under it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I lay on my back and detail it by hand with a, water hose, brush and a bottle of APC. :lol: 8)

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject: water proffing everything
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

this could be a good thread...
sooner or later i will be getting a snorkel...now i no that it doesn't water proof your jeep it just stops water from coming in breather...i want water proof my jeep better...i have long vent tubes, di-electric grease is on all the connections and fuses, i have rubber seals around the most part of the doors and hatch but i know there is more...

Post subject: Re: water proffing everything
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ohv_kj wrote:
sooner or later i will be getting a snorkel...now i no that it doesn't water proof your jeep it just stops water from coming in breather...i want water proof my jeep better...i have long vent tubes, di-electric grease is on all the connections and fuses, i have rubber seals around the most part of the doors and hatch but i know there is more...
Much,much more.I've worked on vehicles with deep water fording kits for 9 years which were designed to drive in 60" of water,stop,turn off the engine,re-start after 10 mins and drive away with no problems with water getting into areas where it's no supposed to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:
Much,much more.I've worked on vehicles with deep water fording kits for 9 years which were designed to drive in 60" of water,stop,turn off the engine,re-start after 10 mins and drive away with no problems with water getting into areas where it's no supposed to be.

o great leader, we come to you in need of guidance. please share your knowledge with us on this subject. (some one give him an offering). how do we water proof jeep libertys?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Ms5490renegade wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:

o great leader, we come to you in need of guidance. please share your knowledge with us on this subject. (some one give him an offering). how do we water proof jeep libertys?

x2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

yeah...you can't give us that great pre-cursor then not tell us anything...lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2006 KJ wrote:
Ms5490renegade wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:

x2

1-Need modified PCV valve with a diverter switch,run switch to interior
2-Modify P/S pump cap with a vent
3-Run all breather tubes to modified PCV valve(trans,t-case,F/R diffs,P/S pump,and gas tank),run one vent line from PCV valve to snorkel intake when PCV valve is in normal position
4-Install totally sealed snorkel
5-Covert all electrical connectors(inside and out) with waterproof connectors
6-Waterproof all CPU's(PCM,TCM,BCM,ABS,SRS)
7-Cut drain holes in floor
8-Extend exhaust to equal height as the snorkel intake
9-Modify alternator to one that is waterproof

The purpose of the modified PCV valve is to divert the engine crankcase pressure to all the other components to pressurize them so water can not enter since air is being force out of the seals,don't forget to turn off the diverted PCV valve when exiting the water as not to blow all seals.Waterproof electrical connectors and CPU's is self explanitory,as is the raise intake and exhaust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

Actually when it comes to cleaning the underside - I realize (right now) it's a little too cold for some of us to bring out the garden hose, but using a strong lawn sprinkler is also a good way to clean the underside of your KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:04 am 
LOST Junkie

what is a pcv valve?
why would you cut drain holes in your floor ?
how do you water proof you computers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ms5490renegade wrote:
what is a pcv valve?

1-PVC = Positive Crankcase ventalation
2- Gotta let the water out that will get into the interior in deep water drain out fast,and it will get in in 30"+ water(the KJ is not waterproof at all)
3- Place in waterproof box,that includes the fuse panels also(sorry forgot that one in the list)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:30 am 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Ms5490renegade wrote:
what is a pcv valve?

1-PVC = Positive Crankcase ventalation
2- Gotta let the water out that will get into the interior in deep water drain out fast,and it will get in in 30"+ water(the KJ is not waterproof at all)
3- Place in waterproof box,that includes the fuse panels also(sorry forgot that one in the list)

what if the deepest water i plan on going through is to the silver middle part of my bumper? what would i have to do then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

if you extend your breathers you should be fine to go as high as half way on the headlights but any higher and it will start flowing into the air intake box

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/