It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: LEXAN KJ HOOD, Early model, Interest??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:27 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
Any interest in a lexan hood for the Liberty?

BR TECH currently makes them for a couple other models including a narrowed KJ version for rock buggies. They might tackle full size hoods if we get enough interest.


$325 clear, $425 colored.

I have an email in to get more info such as weight, colors available, (and if you can still see through them) ability to use hinges and latches, etc.

Curent info from them says they need to sell 50 to make it worth while but I am trying to get that number lowered since they don't have any to show yet.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:04 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
smoked would look cool or maybe an opaque carbon fiber look.

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm
Posts: 1391
Location: Felton, DE
I wonder what the weight comparison is?

_________________
06 White KJ Sport 4x4 :JEEPIN:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432458/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
Sport wrote:
I wonder what the weight comparison is?


Thanks for asking I was wondering the same,

also how they would latch ( with stock hood latch or have to use pins? )
also another question think stock hinges would work ?

inquiring minds want to know :wink:

I want a smoked or black...what else :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
Those are the questions I am awaiting answers on. :wink:

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 pm 
Offline
Master of the Blender
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 2804
Location: Margaritaville
Well, I'm guessing this is probably the rock-buggy version:
Image

Not sure if they come with the race-car style tie-downs or if the shop that built the buggy did that...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:13 am
Posts: 152
Location: piney newjersey
they'd have to come up with two styles for those of us with the 05-6 rennys.

_________________
“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
- Waldo Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:24 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Man I would have to totally redo my paints scheme :evil: :evil: :evil: ! And cut some more holes for my vents :evil: :evil: :evil: !

But yeah I would buy one,you can count me in for one,a clear one so I can paint it myself,the fun I could have,though a pain to paint it in reverse(the underside to keep the paint looking good).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:52 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:02 am
Posts: 2053
Location: Michigan City, IN
Maybe they could make them with vents or a hood scoop.

_________________
Blood Clot Red 03 Punisher Edition
245/75-16 Duratracs, Soft 8's, Ironman/clevis Lift, Monroe Sensa-trac rear shocks, JBA 3.5, GTP Hood Louvers, Roof Basket & Light bar, Mudd's Garage Rear Bumper
custom made items: cross rails, grill inserts, cargo shelf, lightbar, pin stripping & rock rails.
L.O.S.T. #DW090501


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:55 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:51 pm
Posts: 490
Location: Huntingdon, TN
I have to question why you might want one of these? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Lexan. I have used it for all kinds of stuff and it is super easy to work with. You can drill it, sand it, grind it like steel, form it and bend it. I just don't see the advantage on our rigs. A fiberglass hood would be much easier to make and would weigh the same or less. Plus you could integrate a scoop or vents into it. Not to mention that you could get the flat look if you wanted to.

Oh, and tjkj, I can't recommend painting the underside. Lexan is a polycarbonate and is very soft and easy to scratch, unlike an acrylic.

Thanks,
Rescu2000

_________________
2003 Liberty Sport 4X4
DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:06 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Quote:
Oh, and tjkj, I can't recommend painting the underside. Lexan is a polycarbonate and is very soft and easy to scratch, unlike an acrylic.
I've been playing with nitro RC vehicles for 20 years,they use lexan bodies.Painting the underside is the best way to keep the bodies looking good even after a nasty roll,tumble,or smashing into a wall.So it is better to paint a lexan part from the underneath then the outside,less prone to messing up the paint.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 pm 
tjkj2002 wrote:
Quote:
Oh, and tjkj, I can't recommend painting the underside. Lexan is a polycarbonate and is very soft and easy to scratch, unlike an acrylic.
I've been playing with nitro RC vehicles for 20 years,they use lexan bodies.Painting the underside is the best way to keep the bodies looking good even after a nasty roll,tumble,or smashing into a wall.So it is better to paint a lexan part from the underneath then the outside,less prone to messing up the paint.


I KNEW you had to be an RC car guy to come up with the paint-the-inside solution...I was reading through to see if anybody else would come up with it.

But my issue was exactly the scratching problem. my paint has a few scars, but still shines up nicely. After 2 or 3 runs, none of my RC car bodies have the ability to shine. Granted, the KJ doesn't spend much time cartwheeling across construction sites, and some of the Japanese vehicles I've seen with polycarbonate hoods, they don't appear to have held up very well (but I also don't know how old they are)

Who makes the lexan itself, and the thickness would be my two main concerns if I were interested (and I'm honestly not)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:33 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Quote:
But my issue was exactly the scratching problem. my paint has a few scars, but still shines up nicely. After 2 or 3 runs, none of my RC car bodies have the ability to shine. Granted, the KJ doesn't spend much time cartwheeling across construction sites, and some of the Japanese vehicles I've seen with polycarbonate hoods, they don't appear to have held up very well (but I also don't know how old they are)
Using the correct paint is key,you need to use special paint on lexan.All my RC bodies that I have painted have all looked shiny,not the same shine as a profesional tri-coat paint job but just as shiny as any real good single stage paints of the pre-90's era paint jobs.What sucks is that paint isn't cheap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:38 pm 
I know you need to use a special paint (been doing it since the early/mid 90s myself), the paint isn't the problem...the lexan itself getting the snot beaten out of it IS the problem.

Like I said, 2-3 runs, the lexan gets REALLY beat up.

This won't be as much of an issue on a KJ that mostly sees street use, but from what I know of people using lexan windows in drag cars (which, TBH, isn't much) is that it's hard to keep from scratching them when cleaning, and keeping them from fogging


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:00 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:51 pm
Posts: 490
Location: Huntingdon, TN
You asked who makes Lexan. I think GE has a copyright on that name. The unnofficial name is Polycarbonate 9030 or something similar. I have actually worked with thicknesses up to 1/2". I'm betting they make thicker. 1/2" is some TOUGH stuff. I used to use the 1/8" stuff to fab up guards and stuff at work. I used a sheet metal bender to put right angles in it. Works great. You can actually put a bend in it without heating. It works better with heat though.

The hood looks like 1/8" sheet or so from that picture. It must have a lot of bracing to be rigid, although the curves will help a lot.

As far as staying shiny, I'm just basing that on the guards I've seen. After wiping with cotton cloths for a while, they get dingy looking. And it seems like anything that touches them leaves a scratch.

I may make some fender flares out of fiberglass, if I end up needing them to stick out further. Maybe I should try a hood...

Rescu2000

_________________
2003 Liberty Sport 4X4
DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:09 am 
My question was to whether it was real Lexan or a generic polycarbonate.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:20 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:51 pm
Posts: 490
Location: Huntingdon, TN
Oh, Sorry. It better be real Lexan, since the website is using the Lexan name and they have the copyright after it.

Rescu2000

_________________
2003 Liberty Sport 4X4
DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:19 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
Well, I Was hoping for more of an INTEREST thread and not full blown discussion on the merits of platics. In order to get these made, we need some serious commitment ($$) or we can forget it.

I am expecting the company to produce a couple to show off before people spend the cash but at this rate, I can't even tell them that we have a half dozen that would buy it if it met their expectations.

I'll get this thread cleaned up or start a new one so we can find out Who would pay the price.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6220
Location: Colorado Baby!
How about a nice clear coat on the top to prevent the minor scratches, with the paint underneath?

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com