It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Grand news clipping *pics 56k death*
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:02 pm 
LOST Member

Saw this today in the paper, thought I would share.

Centerline rims 135/15 and 31x12's
"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:36 pm 
LOST Addict

The mileage rating is actually 19 city/27 hwy/23 combined, wonder why it is being printed as 23 highway everywhere.

But then VW said my NB TDI was rated at 49 highway and I always got mid 50's on the trips, except when I was on a trip with huge car-top carrier and loaded with enough crap to break the camels back.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Unlike the old, loud, Italian Built diesel four-cylinder engine offered in the Jeep Liberty - this engine is the latest thing. Jeep is dropping the diesel Liberty because that diesel's exhaust is too dirty to meet new federal standards, but there is no such problem with the Grand Cherokee diesel, called the CRD, or Common Rail Diesel, describing a method of delivering fuel into the engine.

This is pretty poorly worded. While I don't doubt that the newer diesel engine is quieter, smoother, and cleaner, they make it sound like the Liberty had old technology and "CRD" is the new engine offerred in the GC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Se7enLC wrote:
Unlike the old, loud, Italian Built diesel four-cylinder engine offered in the Jeep Liberty - this engine is the latest thing. Jeep is dropping the diesel Liberty because that diesel's exhaust is too dirty to meet new federal standards, but there is no such problem with the Grand Cherokee diesel, called the CRD, or Common Rail Diesel, describing a method of delivering fuel into the engine.

This is pretty poorly worded. While I don't doubt that the newer diesel engine is quieter, smoother, and cleaner, they make it sound like the Liberty had old technology and "CRD" is the new engine offerred in the GC.
The only real difference is the use of aluminum block, they both have same type of injectors, glow plugs and turbo. The only thing else that Libby don't have is a particulate traps, just update electronic's and add ULSD and it will easly pass '07 EPA and if they retro eurea injection it will pass '09 EPA.

The big thing is to make the engine quite, most people in US would not on a vehicle with an engine that put out as much noise as our CRD does. People do not want to hear the engine when they pull up to the drive-up window at MacDee's. :roll: :wink:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:37 pm 
LOST Member

Personaly the "old loud" Italian diesel that we have isnt loud enough for me :roll:

I think this has more to do with DC not getting the word out for the KJ CRD and now they want to see the same and better sales for the Grand. I cant go through one day with out seeing, or hearing something about the "NEW" CRD cars from DC. The biggest thing that kills me is the conmmercial with the KJ on the end and they are talking about the new 07 Commander E engines and the new Grand CRD's. Why advertise a vehical your killing?

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:21 pm 
Quote:
Personaly the "old loud" Italian diesel that we have isnt loud enough for me

mee too!!! i want my turbo to be as loud as a powerstroke!!!!
I wonder how to do that???

Quote:
I think this has more to do with DC not getting the word out for the KJ CRD and now they want to see the same and better sales for the Grand. I cant go through one day with out seeing, or hearing something about the "NEW" CRD cars from DC. The biggest thing that kills me is the conmmercial with the KJ on the end and they are talking about the new 07 Commander E engines and the new Grand CRD's. Why advertise a vehical your killing?

U are so right.... DC are a bunch of schmucks!!! they dropped the ball big time!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now Im the schmuck :!: :!:

i forgot to log in and it posted as guest!!!! LOL...

that was my post above as guest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I took off the engine cover and still don't think it is "too loud" It is pretty sad that they talk about the CRD as being so dirty. Liberals :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:03 am 
LOST Addict

MudTrac wrote:
Personaly the "old loud" Italian diesel that we have isnt loud enough for me :roll:

What do you mean by "Why advertise a vehicle your killing?", to my knowledge D/C has not said there will not be a diesel Liberty (maybe they should drop it if they are having as much trouble with it as some people think) or Jeep GC for the comming model year. Heck they are even talking about diesels in other vehicles beside the two Jeeps and I have been told by two dealers that as far as they know they will not be delivering CRD Liberty's & GC until Dec/Jan time frame due to fuel constraints and not before.

This no '07 Liberty CRD thing I think is going to turn out just like VW and their Touareg V10 TDI diesel. It's back and they are for sale now.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:50 am 
LOST Member

I was going based off the DC white paper saying they were dropping the CRD...
I hope they dont due to repair cost will sky rocket having to get everything shipped in from EU.

Just seems like the DR Z commercial is a little late in the game to show the CRD Liberty. I do know one thing, if they do decide 100% that the 2.8 is out and they ever get the idea to drop in the 3.0 Im trading in :wink:

see this artical, kinda the same wording as the rest of the doom of the CRD news articals Ive read.
Motortrend

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:23 am 
LOST Addict

MB is offering Bluetec engine for '07 in the E3320 CDI sedan and not in the R320 CDI or the ML320 CDI vehicles. The only difference is the exhaust system that uses the AdBlue techonology that if approved by EPA and CARB will make them 50 state legal. Take a look at the discription of the tecnology listed for the CDI in the line of injectors and their placement , turbo, and valving, same as in our CRD. Also of note is MB has conflicting reports as to engine size and hp, 3L to 3.2 for the V6 and 211 to 221 hp, I wold hazard a guess that the engine is actually a 3.2L with hp drop for AdBlue system. You should see all the extra exhaust plumbing hanging on the BlueTec E320 at the website, maybe they bump the HP a little to hual all the extra metal. :roll:

Here is a quote from MB website:

Date: March 12, 2006
MERCEDES-BENZ DEBUTS WORLD'S CLEANEST DIESEL

NEW YORK CITY - Mercedes-Benz is debuting the 2007 E320 BLUETEC at the New York International Auto Show, open to the public April 14 - 23, 2006 at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in Manhattan. Featuring the world's most advanced diesel technology, BLUETEC combines several innovations to minimize exhaust emissions.

BLUETEC - A New Blueprint for the World's Cleanest Diesels

Mercedes-Benz diesels have an innovative, high-tech powertrain that's highly efficient and powerful. They offer four-cylinder fuel economy with V8 torque.

To ensure what exits the engine is already as clean as possible, BLUETEC is built on a foundation of advanced engine design that includes four valves per cylinder, centrally located piezo-electric injectors, third-generation CDI direct injection, a turbocharger with variable nozzle turbine and exhaust gas recirculation. Central to the E320 BLUETEC is a new 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel engine producing 210 horsepower and 388 lb.-ft. of torque, which replaces the in-line six found in the previous E320 CDI.

The BLUETEC system depends on the use of ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel (less than 15 parts per million) that becomes available throughout the U.S. this fall. Sulfur is a natural element in most mineral oils. It has a corrosive effect on engines and is a major cause of particulate emissions. The availability of extremely low-sulfur fuel enables the use of reliable particulate filters and efficient nitrogen oxide after-treatment.

The E320 BLUETEC incorporates four after-treatment units in the exhaust stream - an oxidizing catalytic converter, a particulate filter, an advanced "denox" storage converter, and a SCR catalytic converter.

A BLUETEC Module for the Future - AdBlue

To meet even more stringent emission requirements the a BLUETEC system could be equipped with another module - AdBlue injection. A water-based urea solution, AdBlue is carried in its own small tank and metered into the exhaust in minute quantities, so small that the tank only needs to be refilled during routine scheduled maintenance. When AdBlue is injected into pre-cleaned exhaust gas, ammonia (NH3) is released, converting nitrogen oxides into harmless nitrogen (and water) in the downstream SCR catalytic converter. Called SCR, for selective catalytic reduction, this process creates the most effective method of exhaust gas after-treatment currently available.

In Europe, AdBlue injection has already proven effective in more than 15,000 Mercedes-Benz commercial vehicles, and the AdBlue supply network covers some 1,500 locations.

Real-World Benefits to BLUETEC

Not only is BLUETEC the cleanest diesel technology in the world, which can meet the most stringent emissions standards, but it also helps customers make tangible fuel savings and reduce dependence on oil imports. With its super-clean exhaust, BLUETEC can also increase the appeal and the sheer availability of diesel vehicles.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Date: May 12, 2005
MERCEDES-BENZ E320 CDI BREAKS WORLD RECORDS
Around The World In 30 Days - Four Times

Laredo, TX - The new Mercedes-Benz V6 CDI diesel engine has achieved an impressive list of world records this weekend in Laredo, Texas. Three standard-production E320 CDI (Common-Rail Direct Injection) vehicles equipped with the 221-hp powerplants covered distances of 100,000 kilometers, 50,000 and 100,000 miles respectively in world-record times.** Combined the three record diesel vehicles traveled the equivalent of almost eight times around the world, with the 100,000-mile record car achieving an average speed of 139.699 mph. Despite the extreme stresses, the maintenance-free diesel particulate filter held up magnificently over the entire record distance without any deterioration in performance -- further testimony to the reliability and durability of this exhaust technology.

This historic event follows last year's successful return of the Mercedes-Benz diesel engine to the luxury brand's lineup. The E320 CDI exceeded sales expectations by more than 38 percent with 4,158 units sold. Boasting strong acceleration, excellent fuel economy and low noise levels, the latest generation of electronically-injected CDI engines is helping to change U.S. consumers' dated perceptions about diesel powertrains. The E320 CDI achieves 27/37 mpg for city and highway driving, respectively, translating into up to 30 percent better fuel economy than comparable gasoline engines. A showcase for the latest in diesel engine technology, the 3.2-liter diesel engine can propel the E320 CDI from 0 to 60 mph in just 6.6 seconds and cruise up to 780 miles on a single tank of fuel.

With precise electronic control of fuel delivery, hand-in-hand with an oxidation catalyst, the E320 CDI can pass current 45-state emissions standards. With increased availability of low-sulfur "clean" diesel fuel in the U.S. imminent, Mercedes-Benz engineers are optimistic that the CDI diesel can eventually meet emissions standards in all 50 states.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:33 am 
LOST Member

Ok Im sold.... 700+ miles on one tank....??? CRAZY

"Do it in the Dirt"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:03 am 
LOST Junkie

TDI4BY wrote:
I took off the engine cover and still don't think it is "too loud" It is pretty sad that they talk about the CRD as being so dirty. Liberals :roll:

I like my girl "Libby" to be loud and dirty! That's why we met in the first place and I hope it's a long lasting relationship.
I'm sure all of you still get stares at stoplights and stop signs when starting from a dead stop from the diesel chatter. While idling at the fuel depot in line someone said that something was wrong with my engine. I just smiled and decided to then get PIXELDZN to print up a decal for the backwindow saying "Yeah, It's got a Diesel"

New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:28 am 
MudTrac wrote:
Ok Im sold.... 700+ miles on one tank....??? CRAZY

But by the time DCX puts it in the Jeep brand, it's going to be like 18/26. They seem to f-up every engine they touch. No wonder you can "lease" a 1500 4x4 for under 50.00 a month. No body wants something that gets low teens with gas being 3 bucks and climbing..

Post subject: prices yet?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:04 am 
LOST Junkie

Anybody talk to a dealer who can price a diesel GC yet? I went last week and the guy said that it wasn't on the computer.

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject: Re: prices yet?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:16 pm 
LOST Addict

BiodieselJeep.com wrote:
Anybody talk to a dealer who can price a diesel GC yet? I went last week and the guy said that it wasn't on the computer.
I checked Thursday and not available as yet.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine