It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: $4 "cold" air intake modification
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:21 am 
LOST Member

Rather than purchasing this type of cold air intake on ebay....
and combining it with the ram air hood like that found on KYLiberty's ride...

I have an AEM intake in which I added an additional pipe to bring true "cold" air to it...

It's just a simple flexible accordion looking gutter drain pipe I bought at Osh hardware for $3.59. It holds itself in place because its just big enough to route from where the AEM intake filter cone would be through to the side of the radiator. All you have to do is pop out the plastic clips that hold the rubber air deflector to the chasis and cut a small rectangular piece of the rubber about 3x3 inches big so that the flap doesn't partially cover the opening of the piping. If done right, the area that you cut out will snugly hold the tip of the pipe so that it stays in place a bit more.
(My KJ is white, so I'm not really concerned with painting the pipe to look less obtrusive, but if you would choose to, then more power to you.)

I have a Scanguage also...
so I can tell that it's actually dropped the intake air temperature a good 10 degrees average. Not bad for 4 bucks.

You can feel a seat of the pants difference from the additional cold air coming in.

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:56 am 
LOST Addict

Someone might be able to use the intake tube from a CRD to do the same thing, but either way, you should take it off if it is wet out.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:50 am 
LOST Newbie

I've been thinking about the same thing to feed my Rusty's air tube.

Can someone post a pic of the CRD intake tube??

(Mopar Bullbar, Courtesy Lights, Webasto moonroof, Subwoofer, 05 AC controls, Scangauge, Aux. Lights, 9145 to 9005, Mag mount, USASpec Ipod Controller, rear gate pocket, Lloyd Mats, Filtermag, etc...) JEEP Owner until the day I die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:56 am 
LOST Addict

There is a pic here http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... c&start=15

shows both the CRD and Gasser intake styles.

So do any of you have an airbox you would be willing to sell on the cheap?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Intresting, I wonder if the CRD intake tube is any better than no tube, it seems to be attached to the mounts behind the headlight.
I also wonder if you can buy that part seperate and attach that to my 3.7.

And I have to keep my airbox, thanks to CARB, and they're inability to let a product that works better than stock get exemption.
So I need mine to get smogged, even though the Rusty's Air Tube has all the same emission fittings.
Thanks for the pic.

(Mopar Bullbar, Courtesy Lights, Webasto moonroof, Subwoofer, 05 AC controls, Scangauge, Aux. Lights, 9145 to 9005, Mag mount, USASpec Ipod Controller, rear gate pocket, Lloyd Mats, Filtermag, etc...) JEEP Owner until the day I die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:19 pm 
LOST Addict

You would really have to look at the CRD intake to see how it works for sure.

The tube will not connect to the 3.7 airbox.

Some folks on the CRD forum have actually put the 3.7 box bottom and snorkel on the CRD and it seems to work better than stock CRD setup. Maybe you could just put the snorkel section back on with your conical filter in place to direct some cold air in that direction.

But not all of you because I want one of the snorkels and airbox for myself :lol:

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:53 pm 
LOST Member

Jeger wrote:
Someone might be able to use the intake tube from a CRD to do the same thing, but either way, you should take it off if it is wet out.

The CRD intake tube looks a lot like the stock intake tube on the 3.7

I can tell you that putting that big boxy box over and in front of the cone type air filters is going to downgrade the performance of the aftermarket intakes. The stock intake has a small and highly restrictive opening to account for both the prevention of water and dust intake. The simple gutter pipe I installed which fits through the opening next to the radiator has a clear line of sight for air to enter the engine bay. I'm going to check how my system fares in the rain, but I'm not super worried that water will get that far through the pipe without first catching one of the many grooves in the "accordion." I've installed the pipe with the bit of an upward angle, so H20 will have to fight gravity to get in the system.

02 Sport in Stone White
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wonder if you can get a box from a CRD but use the top from the 3.7 and use the CRD box in the 3.7? I imagine the large hole next to the passenger headlight in the 3.7 is for the CRD air intake in the CRD...If those with the 3.7 will also notice is that there is a punchout in the radiator frame where an airtake could go through.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I have been studying the geometry of the 3.7 intake with the idea of getting more cold air to the stock box and have closely examined the intake area when the hood is nearly closed. The stock 3.7 intake tube is restrictive but is even more so once you see how small the opening gets when the hood is closed. When you get a chance take a look at how small the opening will get when the hood is almost closed and then try to imagine further restrictions once it is fully closed. I have thought of finding and extra plastic grill for my 2005 and cutting away some of the grill over the passenger headlight to make a bit of a ram-air scoop over the headlight.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Last edited by Kugellager on Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Kugellager wrote:
I wonder if you can get a box from a CRD but use the top from the 3.7 and use the CRD box in the 3.7? I imagine the large hole next to the passenger headlight in the 3.7 is for the CRD air intake in the CRD...If those with the 3.7 will also notice is that there is a punchout in the radiator frame where an airtake could go through.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I have been studying the geometry of the 3.7 intake with the idea of getting more cold air to the stock box and have closely examined the intake area when the hood is nearly closed. The stock 3.7 intake tube is restrictive but is even more so once you see how small the opening gets when the hood is closed. When you get a chance take a look at how small the opening will get when the hood is almost closed and then try to imagine further restrictions once it is fully closed. I have thought of finding and extra plastic grill for my 2005 and cutting away some of the grill over the passenger headlight to make a bit of a ram-air scoop over the headlight.

John
];')

This is funny, in the CRD forum people have been doing the exact opposite. The box bottoms are interchangeable with no modification, so no worries there. The motivation to try the 3.7 box and snorkel on the CRD is because of a problem with filters getting wet, and with a turbo that is bad news. So someone tried the 3.7 setup on the CRD and found that their filter stays dry and the CRD seems more responsive, you can click on the link I posted above and read 15 pages worth of stuff relating to water, air flow, filter, belly hickeys, and air box swappage.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:03 pm 
LOST Addict

I think the moral of this story is that a Jeep MUST be modified. :lol:

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

StreetKJ,

Did you look at adding a "down spout to 4 inch tile" addaptor? You should be able to find it at home depot or the like. You should see more volume of air getting pushed in because you'll have 12 cu. in. of intake rather than 6 (not sure about downspout size - 2x3?).

2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

StreetKJ, took your lead, but used a large Vaccum hose, and was able to push past the rubber barrier, without cutting, tie-wraped it in place, it aims mostly at the filter element, with a small angle on the inbound side. I have yet to roadtest it, to check my FIA read out.

Post subject: Re: $4 "cold" air intake modification
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, it's amazing what some cold air can do. At 10 degrees cooler your looking at about 1% more efficiency, and an improved throttle response. That's an amazing improvement for $4.

My hood actually wouldn't work with one of those Ebay intakes without making a completely different bottom half. It currently blows the entire amount of air from the 21" X 1" scoop into a 4" X 5" opening above the cone of a K&N FIPK. With that, and the air from the front, it creates a ram-air effect in addition to bringing much cooler air to it. It would bolt right on to your Liberty and provide a nice performance increase, but unforunately the price of doing it is much, much more than $4.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I love it! If I didn't live in such a bug infested agricultural area I would do something similar. As it is though I can't keep the bugs, dirt, hay, etc... out of my K&N.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I decided to take the left over vaccum hose I hadn't used and put a second tube in on the opposite side of the first, so one on both sides of the radiator, the second to pump air into the engine bay, (it comes out near the fuse block and upper radiator hose)
helping with a general cooling effect. Because I couldn't get the tubing straight into the air-stream, I scalloped the edge, to make a cupping effect, like a ice cream scoop.

So far what I've seen on the scan-gauge is obviously nothing at stop. but 30mph + the temp was drop by 4 degrees every time it refreshed, until it was just slightly above the outide temp.
I'll keep experimenting with this.

Now some of you are wondering, won't water go up the hose, yes, if I point a hose up it, or cross a creek that would go over my hood. The hoses are very high up, plus the corrogated ribbing would stop small amounts of water, and the exit points are higher than the entry.
Plus, they're not attached to anything that could be damaged, and extremely easily removed. Simply cut the tie wrap and pull them out.

I might even replace these with bendable metal peices, the same used in exhaust systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:23 am 
LOST Member

***UPDATE***

It rained a bit in my area for a few days in the past few weeks. When I drive in the rain, the grooves in the gutter pipe catch all the incoming water, which isnt very much at all. I touched the cone filter after driving, and its dry as a whistle.

And I just got back to SF from Portland, OR over the weekend. Drove through a snowstorm and heavy rain on Interstate 5. The open piping held its own and no water got in the intake.

But I'll have to clean and re-oil it.

02 Sport in Stone White

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would bet that the new Snorkel that has a group buy would work great...Colder Air+Ram Effect+Cleaner Air=Power and Less Wear

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I finally got around to spending the $1.99 for one of these (at Lowes) and stuck it in there just as the pictures show (not that there is much choice in how you stick it in there) and can I just say HOLY $H*T! It's like I put a supercharger under there. I can't explain how this makes so much of a difference. Not only am I getting great gas mileage, I'm experiencing some serious throttle response! It runs all the time like it does when it's cold. There is no more lag when I hit the throttle and no ramp-up/turbo-lag feeling - just instant kick-you-in-the-a$$ acceleration! You can't beat the benefit for $1.99! I don't know if it makes a difference, but the K&N intake kit surrounds the whole filter and seals against the hood when it closes, making a sort of cold air "trap" where the filter is. I imagine this gutter tube would cause a positive pressure when moving forward, therefore pushing hot air away from the filter and sucking all the colder air from the tube. This is my attempt at a "scientific" hypothesis, LOL. At any rate, unless you don't care for better mileage and great throttle response - DO THIS!

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:57 pm 
LOST Member

I have been contemplating something for a while, making a modification to the stock airbox.

I think someone else has done something similar to the stock box, I can't remember who, but mine comes with a twist...

Taking a similar route, I'm thinking about using a 2 1/2" "Shop Vac" or similar hose cut to length, terminating it to a "Shop Vac" style blast gate installed on the side of the airbox.

This would allow the air flow from the "cold air" hose to be shut off if you are worried about inclement weather or fording.

I will admit I haven't taken a really close look and thought this through entirely, but it seems to me it could work!

Best I could find for a pic of a blast gate...

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:21 pm 
LOST Addict

sounds like a great idea!!!