It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coming to Alaska in Mar-Apr 07
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Well I'm in the military and I'm getting stationed at Elmendorf. I'm currently stationed at Buechel AB Germany. I'll be shipping my Rubi and flying to Florida to pick up the wife, kids and a KJ and driving on up. And depending on how much leave I take I should be there around Mar or Apr. I've only recently looked at the potential of modding the KJ and I'm interested to see how it will perform. How easy is it getting parts and stuff there and how are the shops?

Liberator84-- If you wanna wheel while I'm still here in Germany drop me a line.

AL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:54 am 
LOST Newbie

You can get parts just like anywhere else, you'll just have to get them shipped usually. That's cost a little extra, but it's on of those AK facts of life, and it's not going to break the bank.

There are a few shops in town that are great, I've got my favorite and that's the only place I go. If you're a do it yourselfer on some things, you can order off most internet sites - although some places still don't realize we get mail up here... Or order from the local shops that double as retail stores. (My favorite shop if 5 Star Automotive a.k.a. Kodiak Off Road in Anch. Great work, never need to go anywhere else)

Here's 2 websites to check out:
Alaska 4x4 Network: www.alaska4x4network.com is our online forum, all the clubs as well as regular old people fromall over the state use this.

Alaska Extreme Four Wheelers:
www.akextreme4x4.com is the website for the Anch. based club, which I am a member. Our website is a little rough right now, but we're working on it.

Shoot me an email at wolfheartak@yahoo.com or post up (I come around here every few days) if you've got any other questions about AK.

Welcome to the Last Frontier!

-Marisha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for responding Marisha. I just joined the alaska4x4network so I'll be checking that out. I went to your club page a few questions though. Is the 40$ membership fee per person or family? ie me and the wife and our jeeps. And i also couldn't find the rules section that was mentioned to see if I need to do anything else to my jeep to pass a tech inspection. Her jeep who knows by time it gets there I outta have a lift and some 31s on it. Does the shop you go to do alignments? After being here for 2 years my rubi needs one bad the shops around here don't so so well. If your shop doesn't a recommendation would be nice as that will proably be my first stop.

AL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Glad to help,

I believe the membership fee if for either an individual or a family. They are due in Jan, and if you decide to join after that, they are prorated, then the full amount is due the next January. You have to go to 2 meetings (held everyother week) and 2 runs within 6 months to become a full member, or there is a associate membership, but you wouldn't have voting rights if you don't have your requirements done yet and want to become a member before that.

The tech inspection is something we do every year, and the owner of 5 Star opens his shop and a couple guys that are mechanics make sure everything looks good underneath, you know wheel bearings and that sort of thing. It's not a pass/fail, but lets keep eveyone safe sorta thing.

For the alignments, some of vehicles can be done using a measuring tape (Like an XJ) but others can't. They don't have an alignment rack, but if the shop can't do it, they'll send it out, but they send it out to good people (Like I said, I trust these guys completely with my rig, and not many people get to work on my jeep). I can't remember where they send it to... If you check around the 4x4 Network, I know there was a thread not to long ago about alignments.

-Marisha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Thats good info thanks.. Some more questions how many people usually show up to the runs? Are your runs mostly a 1 day thing or do you guys camp out as well? I plan on bringing the wife out but are kids allowed with the group as long as the trail is not to crazy (cause there are plenty that I won't risk my kids on)? Do you have alot of military members? And say since I'm coming at an odd time would not having a tech inspection rule me out of trail runs? And I know I'll thing of more its just the end of the day for me and I'm worn out.

AL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Anywhere from 3-4 rigs to 20+ rigs have been known to show up on a run. Usually it's about 7-8, but we have a meet and greet every year where 50+ rigs show up (we split up for runs on that one). In the winter, runs are usually 1 dayers, but in the summer they are usually camp outs. Just because we have a camp out doesn't mean everyone goes for the whole weekend. Some people will just come for the run and not camp.

We are always a family friendly group, and enjoy having the kids along. Everyone watches out for the kids to make sure they don't go running into the woods and getting hurt. There are a number of families that run with us. There are a few military folks too, from both bases.

Most of the runs aren't too bad, I can get around most of them. It's a lot of mud and hill climbs, not too much rocks (I started wheeling on the rocks, and those lessons get me in trouble every now and again).

No, you won't be ruled out because of a tech inspection. That's just a once a year thing to help people keep themselves safe on the trail (and their rigs all in one piece). If you get here in Apr, you might be here for it. It's usually held late april-may.

Keep 'em coming if you've got more!

-Marisha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Marisha,

Are the moderators from the Alaska4x4network always slow answering questions. I can't access half the stuff at all so I sent them a pm and haven't recieved a response or a fix. I'm just curious.

AL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I believe that bgreen is the only moderator, and he can take a while. If it's been a few days, just ask again.

What are you trying to access? Some of the forums have passwords (Club Forums so club business can be discussed) and some you have to have perimission set up for your username. (Private Chat or the Contacts).

-Marisha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:01 am 
LOST Newbie

I would like to access the Alaska based 4 wheel drive clubs forum do I have to have a passwrord from them or is mine supposed to work there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you go into that section from the main board, there is a general clubs forum under all the individual clubs that you can get into. Otherwise you have to use the club forum password which one of the officers can give you. It's different for each club.

The AKX officers probably won't give it to you until you get here and come to a metting or a run. Keeps the people who are all talk and no walk, the the few yahoos, from disrupting club business. I don't know about the other clubs.

-Marisha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just curious I've been looking at a lot of pictures and alot of people are armed. Are the animals etc that crazy there?

Thats fine about the password stuff I'm not a part of the club yet. Got any pictures of some of the runs? Alot are alittle outdated or the links are bad. If you so either post them or email me I wanna see everything I can. I can't wait to get there. Canaska@yahoo.com

AL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:37 am 
LOST Newbie

For arms, it's one of those, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. If someone keeps a messy camp (most everyone is good about it though) bears can come through, get in between a mamma moose and her calf, and she has the ability to kill you. You can end up 3 feet from animals out here and not even realize it. I feel very comfortable around firearms, and no one uses them inappropriatly, and I feel better when some one brings one when we end up way off the road system. Some place you can target shoot so, on occasion (I can really only think of one time, no kids were on that trip...) we've practiced. But all the saftey precautions are taken, and if someone has not used a gun before, or it's been a long time, there's always an "gun-smart supervisor."

Alaska is a very pro-gun state, and most people have them here and think nothing to take them on a wheeling trip. Most people are also educated about them, and we would never let any one use one inappopriatly on our trips.

There are new pics all the time in the trip reports section on the Network. all my pics are from early this year or last winter (got a little lazy about getting them uploaded...) but here's a link:

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c170/wolfheartak/

Some of the pics are not wheeling, but they are all of AK. There's a trip to Cordova, a snowmachine weekend, and a bunch of people I don't know - I just went to the party... Feel free to check them out.

-Marisha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cool that means I'm back in buissness. I'm a combat arms instructor you can pretty much put anything in front of me and I can shoot it. I also build rifles for sale. So I'll have to figure out how the FFL stuff works when moving. Being over here in Germany I haven't been able to shoot as much as I would like not to mention I can't even have my own weapons over here.

The Pics are awesome. As for riding the snowmachines I'm from Florida so thats gonna be a new one to learn. And I get bored at work so I'm always checking out some website or another but a few I can't get on at work and by time I get home I'm running back out the door. The meet and greet looks huge I can't wait to get there. I see alotta snorkels though would that be a wise investment?

AL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Ha! You'll fit right in.

For snorkels, After a while most people get them. I don't have one yet, but I probably will one of these days. I have decided to leave my rig at a riverbank and ride along because I was not comfortable crossing the water.

Snowmachines are cool. You'll want one.

-Marisha