It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CV Joint Experimentation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:31 am 
LOST Addict

Ok Al, here is a little followup:
I think I have the assembly plans completed. All I need to do is get 2 sets of joints and shafts. There might be a yard arround Richmond that has them. If there are any located in your area, let me know because I would like to get 2 broken ones (preff. good from a salvage yard) and work on it that way. I do have a question for you. Does the lower control arm for the IFS move inwards when at full droop? If you happen to get those knucles, let me know because then we could meet up one weekend and actually put this thing on a rig (Mine or yours, you deside). I will get started on the cv's soon. After them, I need to look at how to lengthen the LCA but also integrate the CV Idea to it. I can probably scan my drawings to you if you want a look at it. I can alawys use a second opinion. If so, Ill scan them tonight and send it to ya. What is your email if you want the drawings?

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4

Post subject: CV Joint
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok....when the suspension moves the "axle" needs to elongate. The closest the two (or your's four) CV joints will be is when the axle sticks straight out from the differential at 180 degrees. With the one end of the axle fixed to a solid object (differential) the outer end would swing through an arc if not attached to the knuckle and than in turn to the arms. Instead of an arc the end of the axle is essentially moving in a linear motion, except for the slight inward movement due to the fixed ends of the arms at full flex. The axle needs to get longer at the full flex positions, either full droop, or full compression. This is why you see that long thingy (very scienitific) what looks like a piece of pipe at the beginning of the axle shaft as it leaved the differential. This pipe gives the room and allows the axle shaft to move in and out when the suspension moves.

When you lift the Liberty there is a good chance that you could either pull the axle out of this spacer, or have the axel hit the "shell" portion of the spacer on its way back in from either full droop or compression.

So after I have confused everyone, and myself, yes the axles need to have a place to move. If I can get the Dana 44 working I was going to try to use slip yokes, as on the front driveshaft. So somehow you need to have somewhere in the design that allows the axle shaft to expand and contract.

Al

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:35 am 
LOST Addict

My plan is: When the cage is inserted into the sleeve with the grooves for the ball's (Ball Bearings?), there is a little play with it correct? If not, then I plan to take 2 sleeves and have them welded together with the grooves offset (Stop the Cage's from smashing together). This should give what I like to call Joint C (The actual double joint in the whole contraption) its movement for the whole shaft assembly. I also figured that there is simply not enough room in the IFS on the KJ to have the double joint. My plan is to take 2 stock Control Arms and extend them by x inches (x is to be determined by the gap after the CV's are installed) to fit. In having joint C however, I ran into a problem...how to keep it from drooping down. Solution: a mount on the clamping bolt of the Clevis Fork. To keep the cv flexing, I plan to mount a ball joint and sleeve to joint C for flexiblilty and ease of maintnance. Al, If you want to see my primative drawings, hit me up with a pm or email (uvalax236 at aol dot com) and I will gladly send them to you if you can read them :lol: .

Post subject: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Richard, Just FYI. You know that we went through this and had J.E. Reel do one for us right. if anyone does not know thais let me know and I will post something. They are making a much better front CV joints for the KJ now. later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Richard is partially doing it as an "extra-curricular activity" for his applications to colleges. He plans on being an engineer.

CRS-Rock Rails * Rusty's Lift * *MTR's * Husky Mats * The 'Grill' and Shelf

FRS/CB (ch 6)

Post subject: Very cool
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cool, no problem at all...keep us posted on the progress. later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject: CV Joints
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Clint, is JE Reels ready for public consumption? Mine are just about ready for replacement.

And Richard, do really want to become an Engineer, well I hope its not Civil, no jobs right now, unless you want to move out to Vegasof down south! Mechanical is the way to go, I think! SAE would be another route!

I am a civil, and the a once great career, just plains s++ks right now! E-mail the plans at work, ahandy@co.warren.nj.us

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Al, I plan to major in International Business (SP) and minor in Mechanical and Automotive Engineering. I think all three of those will get me very far in life. I will scan the plans and send them within the hour. Let me know if you need me to rewrite it (I was thinking really fast and my hand couldent keep up!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok so I picked up 1 cv joint from the U-pull around here (I didnt pull it though, it was sitting in the trunk of a car!). The cost of 1 cv joint and 1 Cadillac air compressor was $36.00 even. I will be doing a wright up on how to install the caddy air compressor for OBA very soon. Anyway, Im getting ready to rip the cv apart and check to see what is wrong with it and what not. Is there anything that I should/shouldent do before/during the deconstruction part? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:25 am 
LOST Newbie

skrracing wrote:
Hey Richard, Just FYI. You know that we went through this and had J.E. Reel do one for us right. if anyone does not know thais let me know and I will post something. They are making a much better front CV joints for the KJ now. later...Clint

Clint,

Do oyu know if they ship outside the US.

I've just done mine, well the tell tale noises are there abnd this is the second time.

There's bugger all and nbothing dowen here in Australia at the mo for KJ's so this may be the option I need to go with.

O'h and what's there web address.