It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage River State Forest in Maryland
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone done the offroad trails at Savage River State Forest? I was curious about going out there.

04 Limited with offroad package
Frankenlifted

Post subject: Savage River
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No, Wow where's that at? Joe :shock:

L.O.S.T. #000391
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with hooks, skids, trac-lok rear.

Post subject: Near Grantsville MD
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:26 am 
LOST Newbie

It is out past Cumberland and Frostburg. South of Grantsville. New Germany State Park is right there, but along the reservoir there are some off road trails in the Savage River state forest. I was just wondering if anyone had riddin on them.

Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1. Off-Road/ Highway Vehicles

Off road vehicle trails continue to be a topic of discussion in terms of the proper format and facilities which will be necessary to accommodate their use. The discussion is compounded by the wide variety of vehicle types included under this category. Jeeps and large four-wheel drive trucks, snowmobiles, trail bikes and smaller four-wheel drive ATVs each form a potentially separate and distinct group of users who seek different types of riding experiences. Our greatest challenge in meeting the needs of these groups is first to educate the public as to the proper methods and conditions under which they may utilize our state forest lands. To this end we have begun to work closely with members of the Baltimore Four-Wheelers to bring "Tread Lightly" educational programs to Garrett County. The public will receive "Trade Lightly" information through signage, interpretive efforts, and visitor handouts. These programs are designed to properly inform users and educate them as to the proper techniques for ORV use. We are continuing to evaluate existing ORV trails to determine their appropriateness for continued use, as well as investigating potential new opportunities to improve offerings to these user groups. It is becoming more apparent that the forest cannot withstand long term recreational activities which damage vegetation and soils, and cause excessive sources of sediment and erosion in and along local streams. We do desire to continue to provide opportunities to those individuals and groups who motor slowly and passively through the forest, utilizing hardened rocky areas to challenge themselves and their vehicles, or simply riding at a leisurely pace to enjoy scenery and wildlife.

Aside from routine maintenance or emergency situations any substantial changes to the ORV trail system normally requires regulatory changes to COMAR. Several new concepts (see section on Baltimore Four-Wheelers) have been submitted by ORV enthusiasts for consideration under this work plan. Some of these fall within the purview of the annual work planning process. Others will require longer range planning to determine their compatibility and subsequent regulatory changes before they could be implemented.

In light of these issues and conditions we will continue in this and future work plans to implement improvement to the existing ORV trail systems utilizing approved National

Recreational Trail Grant Funds as follows:

a) Meadow Mountain Trail
The northern section of this trail requires relocation around private property along the East Shale Road to avoid future conflicts. Current plans are to route the trail further to the east along Meadow Mountain utilizing existing spur roads and some short new connectors to alleviate the conflict problems. Additional work along the trail will entail light grading, placement of stone aggregate over soft areas of the trail, improved signage, improved gating, and rehabilitation of drainage structures.

b) Poplar Lick Trail
Evaluation of this trail will continue. The area remains an enjoyable recreational destination for a wide variety of users, however maintenance costs and evidence of resource degradation are increasing to the point where some difficult decisions are going to need to be made. The resource impacts may ultimately require foot traffic only use at some future point in time. Campsites along this section of trail have become overused and abused by illegal activity. Bridging along the trail will also need to be replaced in the next several years. To contain costs and minimize resource degradation we are considering a size limit on vehicles on this trail. This will allow us to reduce overall maintenance costs and to minimize negative resource impacts. Additionally, most of the highly damaging illegal activity is attributed to larger vehicles involved in late night/early morning use of campsites as party areas. Our goal is to utilize existing trail funds to stabilize certain sections of the trail, reconfigure the trail entrances to eliminate passenger vehicle traffic, repair bridge structures, improve educational signage, and renovate campsites.

c) Negro Mountain Trail
This section of trail has seen some major efforts over the past several years to reduce illegal riding and harden the site to minimize erosion and sediment run off. Our plan for this site is to continue these efforts, increase our control of access from adjoining private properties, and expand our educational signage. Improved gating of the area will also be pursued to reduce problems of illegal use, trash dumping, etc. In addition, there are some opportunities to provide challenge obstacles in this area that will better meet the needs of groups using this area for authorized nature tourism programs.

d) Margraff Plantation Trail
Recreation trail funds have been approved to allow for improved signage of this area, closure of unauthorized accesses, and stabilization of soft areas. Given the snowmobile only designation for this trail, the area has great potential for mountain bike use (see mountain bike item below). In addition the area may be considered for possible equestrian use or limited nature tourism outings utilizing ATVs. Therefore special attention will be given to trails in this tract.

e) Future Opportunities/ Investigations
It has been suggested that in light of the potential closure of some trails, we consider some possible alternative sites for future development for group/led passive ORV use. One suggestion is to connect the Red Dog Road on Big Savage Mountain with the forest access road that traverses Compartment 37 and 38 to provide a linear trail with challenge pull-offs that are stone and rock based obstacles. Similar opportunities may be available along certain power-line right of ways that lie on state lands. Finally, there are also some possible connections to be considered in the Negro Mountain block to connect the Margraff Plantation with the Negro Mountain Trail and Collier Place to allow for limited activities such as Fall Color Tours and other seasonal highlight activities by nature tourism vendors.

Illegal use by ORVs will continue to be a challenge that will be addressed by strategic patrol of problem areas and educational efforts to increase public awareness and reporting of violators. We will also be involved in discussions to determine the need for requirements such as rider safety courses similar to hunter and boater safety classes, as well as the bolstering of laws to increase fines and/or permit seizure of vehicles being used illegally on state lands. In addition, nature tourism vendors are beginning to integrate ATVs into their menu of potential recreational activities. This will expand the opportunity for positive and properly led rides to better educate and inform the public. It is generally recognized that the aging of our society will make ATVs more attractive to older outdoor enthusiasts who may not be able to negotiate the out of doors in the same manner as when they were younger. In light of this we do not foresee blanket prohibitions against ORVs on state lands any time in the near future. Rather we see the need for increased creativity and educational awareness as the key to properly managing this issue in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

sounds like the area has been pretty abused and beat-up. that's a shame.

Frankenlifted

Post subject: Re: Near Grantsville MD
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:46 pm 
LOST Member

trailpixie wrote:
It is out past Cumberland and Frostburg. South of Grantsville. New Germany State Park is right there, but along the reservoir there are some off road trails in the Savage River state forest. I was just wondering if anyone had riddin on them.

I'll be out at Deep Creek Lake at the end of the month! But since the airline won't let me bring my Liberty, I won't be hitting any trails. I could borrow my father-in-laws' stock 98 Cherokee (who lives in Cumberland), but he'd have a fit if it came back broken. I'll just have to use my 2 legs to get me into the wilderness.

245/70-R16 Grabber ATs
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift with Rancho RSX rears
Roof Basket w/home-made cross rails and 4x55watt lighting
Super Skink Sliders
Spidertrax 1.25" Aluminum Spacers
Front Receiver hitch with Warn D-Shackle
Cobra CB Radio with spare mounted antennae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:22 pm 
LOST Addict

So Chris, does that mean the trails are currently open to vehicular traffic or not?

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

chefdab wrote:
So Chris, does that mean the trails are currently open to vehicular traffic or not?
Yeah, what chefdab said? :?:

L.O.S.T. #000391
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with hooks, skids, trac-lok rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As far as I can tell the only trail really open to OHV is the Poplar Lick Trail. I need to do a little more looking into it but it seems that the park is not real OHV friendly, at least that is the impression I got from the reading. I was going to post the link to the info that I found but my work is hectic. They refrenced an Off Road club and I will find it again and see if they have anymore info I can post.

Meadow Mountain Trail looks like it may also be a possible OHV trail.

Negro Mountain Trail: authorized nature tourism programs. This one appears to be a NoGo.

Margraff Plantation Trail is snowmobile only possible ATV also.

ORV Use - Snowmobile and off-the-road vehicle (ORV) operators must have a current Department of Natural Resources (DNR) ORV sticker, available at the state forest headquarters. ORV operators are restricted to use of designated ORV trails. Open riding is not permitted.

Last edited by WV(0)IIIIIII(0) on Thu May 03, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Green Ridge State Forest
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Green Ridge State Forest also has some offroad trails. I went there about 7 or 8 years ago. Lots of pretty fireroads and stuff. There is a place where we drove through a tunnel a bunch of years ago, but I am not sure that is still available. I think they have a bunch of trails listed for offroad vehicles. You can also stop in at the PawPaw tunnel there. It is a quarter mile long C&O Canal Tunnel. Kind of cool. I don't think there is anything particularly challenging or extreme there though....nothing like West Virginia highland fire roads.

Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Savage River State Forest
127 Headquarters Lane
Grantsville, Md 21536
(301) 895-5759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Meadow Mountain Trail (follow markers) 12 miles - moderate
Originally created for fire control in the forest, this rocky trail fluctuates in elevation. The 4-mile trail section near I-68, also known as East Shale Road, is open for off-road vehicle (ORV) use. The remaining 8-miles, southwest of New Germany Road, is closed to off-road vehicles, except for snowmobiles. This portion of the trail generally follows the crest of Meadow Mountain and provides an excellent view at the Meadow Mountain Overlook. A spur trail (1.5 miles roundtrip) provides access to the overlook.

Poplar Lick Trail (follow markers) 6 miles - moderate
The footbed of this forested dirt road, which begins at New Germany State Park and ends at the Savage River, is the remainder of a CCC roadway constructed in 1934. Visitors in July are rewarded with rhododendron blooms and colorful wildflowers. The trail has 13 stream crossings, but only five bridges - so be prepared to get your feet wet when hiking or biking. This trail is not recommended for typical passenger vehicles, but is open to ORVs.

Off-Road Vehicles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snowmobile and off-road vehicle (ORV) operators can enjoy several miles of scenic trail. Be sure to display a current Department of Natural Resources (DNR) ORV permit, available at the State Forest headquarters and any DNR service center. ORV operators are restricted to use of designated ORV trails. Please be familiar with Tread Lightly ethics and practice them during your visit.

All of this info can be found at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/savageguide.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check these guys out for good info http://www.baltimore4wheelers.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:09 pm 
LOST Addict

So does this mean we should plan a ride there sometime this summer?

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Proably would not hurt!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have been on most of these trails. The ride up to Flag Pole is more challenging. Than anything these can provide. Most of the parks in MD are closed to ORV. I was up in New Germany State Park for my Aunts wedding this past September and went out on there only open trail. It is literally a graded gravel road. Nothing to write home about.

Green Ridge State forest can make for a nice for a club run. There are three overlooks with great views. Camping for the adventures. Several trails to ride (unlike most of the other parks who only offer one three/four mile route into the woods). The old Western Maryland Railroad tunnel has been closed but you can still get to it. This wouldn't be a hardcore four wheeling adventure. More of a fun scenic ride. But, for a middle of the summer get out of the muggy city and into some fresh country air ride. It can be a nice change of pace.

Here is a shot form October from the highest overlook on Stafford Road.

Warn M8000 winch
On board Air
Ham radios
Skidrow and kilby skids

Former: '05 Patriot Blue CRD. Lifted, locked, and a few other toys.