It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STS Turbo 3.7L V6
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:53 am 
LOST Newbie

ok... iv called STS number of times asking them questions about mounting thier turbo system onto my 3.7 V6, and they say that i could run it to about only 5 pounds of boost and gain up to 80HP on the stock motor, and he also told me that once i upgrade the internals that in a switch of a button i can boost it up to 15 pounds of boost with the universal kit i plan on buying, iv done my homework on this kit and researched alot on out 3.7L witch has alot of potential to become a monsteras beast that can tear up the streets with the write mods and a turbo pushing 15 pounds of boost into the v6.

this aint no joke im am maby hours away from taking the plunge and hope fully complete this project clean and successfuly, installing it on the stock motor for NOW.

this is the sts turbo installed on the jeep srt8 but this location should also apply for the liberty's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:29 am 
LOST Addict

What about the programmming of the PCM? It don't think it will know what to do with 5 psi of boost. I've been experimenting, and it handles 1 psi boost with no problems, for about an extra 5% power. Haven't started increasing the boost though. Also, the torque management will kick in. We couldn't get more than about 215 rwhp even with a 100 hp shot of N2O until the B&G computer went in. Also, I blew up a stock 3.7 after a year of running a 75 shot every once in a while. I've seriously looked at the STS turbo, and think it could work rather well. In my opinion, you'll want to upgrade your pistons, and rods, and go to some taller cams such as some 218's or 224's. You'll want a stall converter with that tall of cams, and you'll probably need to upgrade to some bigger injectors also. I think the stock fuel pump making 51 psi will be adequate for 5-7 psi, but you'll probably need to upgrade it for 15 psi.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

KY Liberty wrote:
What about the programmming of the PCM? It don't think it will know what to do with 5 psi of boost. I've been experimenting, and it handles 1 psi boost with no problems, for about an extra 5% power. Haven't started increasing the boost though. Also, the torque management will kick in. We couldn't get more than about 215 rwhp even with a 100 hp shot of N2O until the B&G computer went in. Also, I blew up a stock 3.7 after a year of running a 75 shot every once in a while. I've seriously looked at the STS turbo, and think it could work rather well. In my opinion, you'll want to upgrade your pistons, and rods, and go to some taller cams such as some 218's or 224's. You'll want a stall converter with that tall of cams, and you'll probably need to upgrade to some bigger injectors also. I think the stock fuel pump making 51 psi will be adequate for 5-7 psi, but you'll probably need to upgrade it for 15 psi.

i know,, iv was planning on calling B&G and telling them what they can do for my set up. and in know im taking a BIG risk putting a turbo on a stock 3.7L V6, but i trust STS when they say i should have no problame running it at 5 psi with a custom pcm tune on the stock motor, and if all goes as planned, and the motor shows no sighs of stress with the turbo than ill start saving my money all over again and buy some parts from KRC ( they actually have good stuff for our motors ) and have them installed and then bump up the boost to 8 psi and see how that goes. but for now im going to see how this all goes, the fabrication is gunna be a witch i can already tell, ill probalbly have to make a drive up to san antonio and get a good shop to get this thing installed the right way. im crossing my fingers for this thing and show people what a 3.7L V6 TUBO looks and performse like, " HOPEFULLY " thats all i can say. im gunna bite the bullet boyz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, talk to B&G, and talk to Marty at KRC. It's going to be a lot of work, but it will be sweet. I might have to do the STS if it works out well for you. Nice not to be the test monkey this time. Just a thought --- The quarter mile run that blew my motor was already going to be the last one before I was going to take it to KRC to upgrade the rods and pistons, taller cams, custom headers, and go to a direct 120hp shot. I was waiting on money from a big job to pay for it. Ended up buying another motor because the stealership lied and said the block was cracked and the heads were destroyed. The machined heads are on it now, and the short block is in my garage. If you don't build the motor to handle it now (at least replace the pistons), I'd recommend you have the money set aside to replace it if it blows.

Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

hmmmm.... $3.780.00 for my turbo set up, with the electric boost controller ( 15 psi ), BOV, Garrett GT 67. not bad, i think, i still need to add the stainless steel tubing which i have no idea how much that will cost, and im also thinking about adding and intercooler but not shur if its worth another thousand dollars. Forged pistons, Rods, ss rockers, valve springs, camshafts, another $2,890.00 but that will be after the turbo is installed becouse im not gunna drop 8 grand all at once. then i gotta upgrade the transmission, gear ratio, brakes, it's gunna take some time to complete this project, but i think it will be fun smoking peoples asses on the street, knowing they got their booty kicked by a beastly V6. after all is done im hoping for atleast 400HP, call me crazy, but this is possible and ill make it happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

scaryanias wrote:
hmmmm.... $3.780.00 for my turbo set up, with the electric boost controller ( 15 psi ), BOV, Garrett GT 67. not bad, i think, i still need to add the stainless steel tubing which i have no idea how much that will cost, and im also thinking about adding and intercooler but not shur if its worth another thousand dollars. Forged pistons, Rods, ss rockers, valve springs, camshafts, another $2,890.00 but that will be after the turbo is installed becouse im not gunna drop 8 grand all at once. then i gotta upgrade the transmission, gear ratio, brakes, it's gunna take some time to complete this project, but i think it will be fun smoking peoples asses on the street, knowing they got their @$#% kicked by a beastly V6. after all is done im hoping for atleast 400HP, call me crazy, but this is possible and ill make it happen.
Call me crazy but since you have a newer Grand why don't you just spend about 2/3 that amount and drop in a 5.7 HEMI and then modify that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:28 am 
LOST Newbie

[/quote]Call me crazy but since you have a newer Grand why don't you just spend about 2/3 that amount and drop in a 5.7 HEMI and then modify that.[/quote]

well that would be the most common thing to do if you have the mind set " Bigger is better" ( thats what she said ) which is not the case for me. i like doing things that you dont usually see everyday, which makes it " UNIQUE " and i get a sense of pride for having something that not meny people have. i hate having the same thing as other people.. my friends always make jokes about my little V6 and they tell me to drop a 6.1 in it, but i just tell them that when im done with this little bad boy , it's gunna make them cry. i like making something out of nothing, it's fun! it's gunna be an SRT killer........ ok maby not.

2005 jeep grand cherokee 3.7L V6 TURBO
400HP
0-60 in 5.2 sec

I HOPE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm all about being "unique" but there is easier and cheaper ways to make 400+HP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:28 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
I'm all about being "unique" but there is easier and cheaper ways to make 400+HP.

Such as?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:34 pm 
LOST Member

well if you run 93 octane and use the tornado fuel saver plus a K&N filter sticker you would be close to 400 HP. :lol:

oh and i forgot the spoiler!

Auburn LSD
Lots of other goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KY Liberty wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Such as?....
Okay as far as cheaper I was wrong,but you can start out with up to 610hp-----http://www.pfcenterprises.com/-------and that's plug'n play to,just some tranny mods(rear end to) and you'd be killing all the street machines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:06 am 
LOST Newbie

dammmmm!!! thats crazy.! nice find, ive never come across that site before, the 470HP hemi is crazy booty hell, they give you everything ready to start it up, and for only 10 thousand, compared to the stock 6.1 at almost 12 thousand. danmm now you got me thinking about how to spend my money. this is a tough one.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

scaryanias wrote:
dammmmm!!! thats crazy.! nice find, ive never come across that site before, the 470HP hemi is crazy @$#% hell, they give you everything ready to start it up, and for only 10 thousand, compared to the stock 6.1 at almost 12 thousand. danmm now you got me thinking about how to spend my money. this is a tough one.......

Yeah, but you also need to consider you Transmission. You have the 42RLE I'm guessing. In that case, you need to wedge a different tranny in there that can handle the 6.1. And you would most likely need to change some of the drive shafts to make it all work. Then I'd be concerned with whether you can ever use your 4x4, as your transfer case or front axle could explode...

Since I have the 45RFE already, I would go with a 4.7L HO engine, and if that wasn't enough, get a supercharger - though I think the supercharger (on a built 4.7L) would be enough to wreck parts of the 4x4 drivetrain.

Remember, the SRT8 GC has it's own special 4x4/AWD system over and above the regular GC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Phadeout wrote:
scaryanias wrote:
dammmmm!!! thats crazy.! nice find, ive never come across that site before, the 470HP hemi is crazy @$#% hell, they give you everything ready to start it up, and for only 10 thousand, compared to the stock 6.1 at almost 12 thousand. danmm now you got me thinking about how to spend my money. this is a tough one.......

Yeah, but you also need to consider you Transmission. You have the 42RLE I'm guessing. In that case, you need to wedge a different tranny in there that can handle the 6.1. And you would most likely need to change some of the drive shafts to make it all work. Then I'd be concerned with whether you can ever use your 4x4, as your transfer case or front axle could explode...

Since I have the 45RFE already, I would go with a 4.7L HO engine, and if that wasn't enough, get a supercharger - though I think the supercharger (on a built 4.7L) would be enough to wreck parts of the 4x4 drivetrain.

Remember, the SRT8 GC has it's own special 4x4/AWD system over and above the regular GC.

thats completely true. but im sure you dont have to make all those modifications to the vehical, becouse i could always program the ECU the way i want it so that it could recagnize my jeep.... i dont know, i just want my danmm turbo already!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The new Chrysler 68RFE transmission is pretty hard core :twisted: Check out this page for more information on Chrysler transmissions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Da ... nsmissions

The Dodge Viper only runs an IFS Dana 44 rear axle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:53 pm 
Phadeout wrote:
Yeah, but you also need to consider you Transmission. You have the 42RLE I'm guessing. In that case, you need to wedge a different tranny in there that can handle the 6.1.

if he's got a 2wd WK, he can pirate a transmission from a Charger/Magnum/300. if he's got a 4x4, he can pirate a transmission from a Hemi or 4.7L WK. Actually, down south, it's easy to find used parts for 4x2 Jeeps...you have any idea how hard of a time I had finding a FOUR wheel drive Liberty in Memphis? youch that was painful...

More to the point...if he boosts the 3.7, how will his transmission situation be any different, aside from the fact that he's risking holing his pistons?

I'm with tjkj, go with a Hemi. a guy on a Dakota board swapped a Hemi into his 4.7 Dakota for a hair over $3,000 including a new cam, pushrods, and valvesprings. it shouldn't be a hard swap, aside from that wiring BS, which with your 05, shouldn't be much

Or, maybe just trade your WK in for a Hemi Limited WK and cam it and spray it. A tech I used to work with had an '04 Hemi Ram (reg cab, shortbox, 4x2, lowered, really sweet truck) that was seeing a 100hp shot almost daily, and it held up fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I thought the 2005-2007 3.7 GC's came with the Mercedes W5A580 transmission like the Chrysler-Dodge LX cars with the Hemi, and can handle up to 580 Nm or 427 lb-ft torque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 pm 
they might, I just assumed they used the same transmissions as the KJ.

thats' what i get for assuming i s'pose :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:01 pm 
LOST Addict

I have to say go with the turbo. Upgrade your transmission with a torque converter from APS, and see if they have a shift kit for it. Get a flash from B&G. Get it all working at a low setting. Once you have done your proof of performance, build it, and crank it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:16 am 
LOST Newbie

KY Liberty wrote:
I have to say go with the turbo. Upgrade your transmission with a torque converter from APS, and see if they have a shift kit for it. Get a flash from B&G. Get it all working at a low setting. Once you have done your proof of performance, build it, and crank it up.

what do you mean at a low setting?

this is gunna be fun!