It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kool-Aid Fueled car
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:16 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

I was doing a little research on the town I will be staying in during Camp Jeep.

Found this - really weird:

Quote:

Believe it or not, this car runs on Kool-Aid. Over twenty years ago, during the energy crisis in the late 1970's, local inventor Roy Calloway devised a carburetor that overcame evaporation problems with sugar-based fuels in gasoline engines. Needing a soluble mixture for the sugar, his experimentation led him to the popular children's drink, Kool-Aid, which he discovered to have just the right properties. Eventually, Calloway perfected the fuel mix (80% Kool-Aid and 20% methanol or ethanol) which, together with his special carburetor, provided an alternative to gasoline in gasoline-based engines. Calloway's attempt to secure a patent, however, was blocked by the major oil companies, who enlisted the help of the powerful Washington Crude Oil Lobby in eventually getting laws passed that have kept Calloway's invention from seeing the light of day...almost that is. Calloway, in defiance of a little-known federal law that forbids the operation of any motor vehicle that burns a sugar-based fuel, can frequently be seen cruising around Lynchburg in his lime-green "Kool-Aid Kar." Risking arrest each time he hits the road, Calloway has decked his car out with signs and decals that bring attention to the unfair treatment he has received at the hands of the big oil companies and the Federal Government. In fact, from various convictions through the years, Calloway has spent a total of seven years in jail; but he refuses to be silenced. According to Calloway, grape-flavored Kool-Aid provides the best mixture and results in the best mileage - 89 miles to the gallon.

Taken from this website - If you like weird stuff, read some of the other entries:
http://www.retroweb.com/lynchburg/attractions/main.html

Last edited by pixeldzn on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Very Kooool.....

He could force the issue by publishing his design and offering a free license for individual use. I'd bet you'd see a bunch of hackers building Koolaid cars. I'd be first in line, Not my CRD mind you, but I'd love to convert my Oscar Mayer Wiener mobile to Koolaid :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Man, that place is nuts. So many weird things. wtf is up with the headless cat?

It would be cool if any of it was real.

"NASA/USGS Rotational Tuning Facility #9

Lynchburg is home to an unusual scientific facility, a "rotational tuning" station, part of a global network of twenty-four such stations operated jointly by NASA and the U.S. Geological Survey. Each station houses three powerful F-5 rocket engines which are fired in tandem with those at all stations around the globe when it becomes necessary to make minuscule corrections in the Earth's rotational speed (angular velocity). The global array was built in the early 1970's and has been used for two corrections, the most recent firing occurring on August 16, 1988 in which a synchronized burn lasted 8 minutes and 14 seconds. Another correction was scheduled for May 2003, but was cancelled after it was deemed unnecessary. Rotational Tuning Facility #9 is just south of River Ridge Mall in Lynchburg, however, the facility is within a government restricted area and visitors are not allowed."

[]--------[] ---2.5" BDS lift, 245/75/16 MT/Rs, Moab Rims, Locked and Regeared!
[]_____[] ---The list got to long, go to my web site for more!

Last edited by Gris on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:18 pm 
LOST Addict

That's the problem when you start talking alternative fuels or modes of transport - whether you're talking magic gas-saving devices, electric vehicles, biofuels, etc - it seems this area has more than it's fair share of crackpots and scam artists in comparison to the number of legit entrepeneurs.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:59 am 
This member has been Banned

I wanna see this supposed law. There is no way such a law could be upheld as constitutional. Furthermore, there is nothing stopping anyone from filing a patent. The 'big oil' conspiracies are generally crap.

And there is no way he gets the mileage he claims.

EDIT: Heh, its a parody website. The most amusing thing on there IMO is the 'Southern Liberal Confederation'. The confederate flag with a peace symbol in the middle hanging on a trailer is priceless. ;)

Last edited by Reflex on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am a little disappointed. I was figuring someone would offer that this car was originally built in Jonestown. :twisted: :twisted:

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject: Re: Kool-Aid Fueled car
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Then where did the car originally built? :BANANA:

Post subject: Re: Kool-Aid Fueled car
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When is someone going to say that GDE can tune this car to go better? :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle