It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: And so it begins.. err.. continues...JJ's SFA KJ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yep this time I am going to go through with it. My Blue 03 goes into All J's shop this Friday and I will ask them to take their sweet time w/ it. Hopefully I will have it back in a couple months.
Here is a brief history of my KJ:
Brand new, one of the 1st trips in the dirt.
A couple days and 390 miles on the OD later at All J's OLD shop 3/03.
Daystar 2.5" lift w/ Ranchos, skids, bars, etc. ready to rock.

The next phase.
I will update this thread w/ pics and info as we proceed. I will start w/ this pic of a pile of parts:
In the pic is the Rubicon, NV241OR 4:1 transfer case, a JE Reel driveshaft, (still need another one)Warn locking hubs for HPD30, alloy axles w/ CTM joints, Crane D30 cover, extended brake lines, and steering box.

I will try to get a pic of the axles at the shop this weekend.
The front is a XJ HPD30 that will be stuffed w/ ARB, 4.56's, the above axles and locking hubs, WJ knuckles w/ high steer and big brakes w/ slotted & cryo'd rotors w/ performance pads. The D30 also has a relocated track bar bracket, relocated/lengthened sway bar mounts, adjustable upper ball joints, axle tube seals, etc.....

The rear is a D44 from a TJ that wil have all custom brackets, discs w/ slotted rotors, currently a Detroit locker w/ 4.56's, (might have to go to an ARB) alloy axles, etc........

My hope is to get up to the shop at least weekly to see the progress and lend a hand assy some of my components such as the axles. I will take a lot of pics and keep this thread going. I am also keeping a detailed record of what goes on and into this build to share w/ others that are considering it. It won't be cheap but it will be what I want when it is done. I can't wait!

Stay tuned....

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Last edited by JJsTJ on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ah...another one bites the dust!

Taking it to the next level....aren't ya JJ??? :P :wink:

Can't wait to see it when it's completed!! Good luck and have fun with the process....and even if it leaves you broke....you can say you're still one of the few!!

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:17 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Anyone can put a jeep t-case in a jeep :twisted: :P

Seriously though, please keep us informed, especially if the rocktrack speedo sensor works, then I will know mine will work. I have missed enough wheeling because of my surgery this year, we are going to wait on starting mine until the trails start closing in Sep/Oct. Good Luck JJ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 am 
LOST Member

Taking the plunge, eh JJ? Cool. I know you've been wrestling with it for a long time. Good for you. How much of a lift are you thinking of, and are you going with the 8" coil overs? I know we were talking in Moab of keeping it low and flexy, and the potential challenges that faced...are you keeping this same route and are there additional fab work that this will take? I'm excited for you and I can't wait to see it in action.

Dave

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:47 am 
LOST Addict

Best of luck with it mate, I look forward to watching it grow & grow & grow. Then seeing the action shots 8)

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Kinda up in the air.....punny.....about the height right now. I would love to run it lower but because of the wheelwell design of the KJ you run into problems trying to stuff a bigger tire. I will be buying 305/70-16's for it and I obviously want them to stuff. If I go to low I would have to bumpstop it too much and lose the flex so it might have to sit at 10" like the others.
The real reason the KJ's look so tall when at this height is their tall roof line. My 2.5" lifted KJ on 245/75's has the same roof height as my 5.5" lifted XJ on 285/75's. The KJ has a real tall body so they sit high. Luckily, those that are running SFA's have said, and I have seen, that they are stable in tippy situations. Luckily most of the real weight of an SFA KJ is low enough to keep it stable. If I had to compare it to another well known tall roofed vehicle I would say the Rovers are similar in that regard. They tend to look tall and tippy at the higher lifts heights but their weight is down prettty low too.
Anyhow, I wil be discussing this topic more w/ Quinn and Steve to see what we can come up with. Hmm.... maybe an adjustable ride height...hmmm...

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bag it :D

Be cool to be able to lower it to get it in the garage or at highway speeds then raise it on the trail. I've seen a couple of full size trucks with full air suspension, Don't know how they hold up on the trail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Another one I get to take the plasma cutter. I'll make sure all the cuts are pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Go low and wide,run 35"s and a little sawsall action so you can stuff those 35"s and you'll be all good 8) !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like I will need to order more oil!

Good Luck!!

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:15 pm 

They make an adjustible aibag lift for the TJ. When I was in MO and member of KC Jeep Club, one member had a Rubicon that maxed at 14" lift, but he could lower to only 8", he did that so that his lift hieght was not too tall for Jeep Jamborees :roll: Maybe contact 4wdparakeet if he is still on here, if I remember right he is a member of KC Jeep Club now. Might be able to get info from him if you want to go that route.

Post subject: Never TOO Lifted
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:08 pm 
LOST Addict

I have to say that last year when I first looked to Jeep I test drove a Wrangler, first it was tight{I had bariatric surgery "STOMACH BY-PASS" 6 months earlier, I'ld never have fit behind the wheel of the Wrangler}. The second thing I noticed was just driving around the block it felt real tippsy (top heavy). Then I remebered talking to a KJ owner who said "before you buy anything else test drive a Liberty". So I test drove my '02 , it was love at first drive. It was roomier more luxriuos and just plain felt safer to drive. To those who DIS the LIBBY I say SUX2BU. I admit I have the FEVER. Let's see PIA replacement headlights, CHROME Grill, AMSOIL from bumper to bumper (during which process discovered the rear dif needed rebuilding). Amsoil Air Filter, During this shakedown replaced radiator, and had AC Rebuilt [Yes getting the stealership to do this was like pulling Teeth]
All I did was get a soft spare tire cover and had it embriodered with "RAPED BY MEDVED" then showed it to the Service Manager and Dealership owner and they were happy to make the repairs to my 2 week old used Libby. Go FIGURE :!:
My next big mod is going to be an airlift see:
Aim Industries/Chassistech/Airbagit.com
This is a complete airbag suspension to the tune of aroud $1800.00, but i figure for the ability to raise or lower to any height I like on comamand it's worth it I just have to save my nickles and dimes till then/

LEAD :D FOLLOW or GET OUT of The WAY :shock: :twisted: 8) :-)r :-)r :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Congratulations JJ, I’m glad you decided to pull through with the SFA. I can’t wait to see the finished product.!

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The best pic I could snap of the diff housings. I will get more as soon as I start reassembly.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

More axle pics.....
I started assembly of the front axle but ran into some missing parts issues. Wheeee!!!
The front ARB & 4.56's are hiding behind the Crane cover. Professionally assembled by Frank @ All J's.
I was missing the nut for the LBJ and ended up having to buy a whole new ball joint just to get the nut so $55 later I could get this far.
Of course, after buying the whole new ball joint I realized that I was also missing the zerk fitting plugs for the ball joints and spent an hour and a half running around Big Bear to find a second one so I could seal up the ball joints after lubing them. UGH!! All that lost time for a $.25 part! I wasn't about to buy another whole ball joint just for the plug. :roll:

Here is an interesting/cool upper ball joint assy. that allows you to be able to adjust the camber/caster on the front axle. You can also see the axle tube seals in this pic.
Made by INGALLS (click the text to go to their site)

Stay tuned, more to come....

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know why anyone hasn't tried this yet...but behind the front pinchweld that causes all the rubbing there is another piece of metal. I think you can actually cut aways the top layer that the pinchweld resides on and clear a big area for tires...maybe a bit of plate welded to the new exposed area for added strength but it looks doable.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject: Congratulations
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

That is just TOOOOOOO cool. Keep us posted and keep these geat pix coming in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DarbyWalters wrote:
I don't know why anyone hasn't tried this yet...but behind the front pinchweld that causes all the rubbing there is another piece of metal. I think you can actually cut aways the top layer that the pinchweld resides on and clear a big area for tires...maybe a bit of plate welded to the new exposed area for added strength but it looks doable.
I know the panel your talking about,it would be easy to remove and reinforce but you would still have the pinch weld in the same place not gaining you much clearence after all the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Huh? The pinch weld would be removed with the metal...you would trim back to the second metal facing.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DarbyWalters wrote:
Huh? The pinch weld would be removed with the metal...you would trim back to the second metal facing.
The pinch weld would be still there,my pinch weld is comprised of 3 layers and removing that panel would only get rid of one of those layers,leaving the other 2 still there.To fully open up that area you would need to modify the front fenders and rocker panel and then inner body side panel(of which none are easy) to clear that area of the pinch weld,then you just compromised the unibody integrity(weakened it).I looked at that area alot when trying to get my 265's not to rub there anymore.
As you can see in the pic the 3 layers are visible,sorta sorry bad pic but visible if you look at your pinch weld(I marked them 1,2,and 3).The panel you are talking about would only remove the #3 part of the pinch weld,leaving the other 2 in place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next