It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dyno results, before and after Inmotion Stage II tune
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:55 pm 
LOST Addict

For particulars about the vehicle see http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=23547

Not much has changed since the baseline runs except the temperature 10 degrees lower, 500 more miles on the air filter, tires 2psi lower, and different tank of fuel (although from the same station and with the same concentration of additive).

Peak numbers are:

Before/After
hp: 159/189
ft.lbs: 347/386

For gains at the peak of 30hp and 39 ft-lbs, which is right in line with Inmotion's claims. However, there's an area around 2600 rpm where the gain is 60 ft-lbs! And down at 1800 rpm the gain is still a massive 50 ft-lbs! In fact, the lowest gains were seen at the old peaks. The curves are just dramatically fatter and flatter from end to end.

Here is the graph of runs after the tune:

Here are the before and after runs on the same chart. The vertical line is just showing numbers at about the power peak. Compare red to blue for before and after, respectively.

Even if, as mabelaker suggested in the original thread, you remove the roughly 20% SAE correction factor and subtract new vs. old numbers, you end up with gains of 27 hp and 37 ft-lbs at the peaks. The rest of the rpm range there are substantially higher gains. I asked the tech to email me the .drf files, so we'll see if he comes through.

I took some video at the rear of the vehicle during both sessions to compare visible smoke. There is definitely more after the tune, but it's nowhere near obscene. In fact the only reason you could see it was because the floor was white and the vehicle was sitting still. The air/fuel ratio dips to 14:1 at the lowest so there's still room to fatten it up once I beef up the torque converter, injectors allowing.

Overall I'm really pleased with the tune. It's a real joy to drive, and you can't beat the gains for $300. Inmotion's service was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:54 am 
LOST Member

Very nice.
It's the area under the lines that matter the most :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now we need to F37 your tranny to find out how much torque is lost!

Since you wont agree to this, maybe another dyno after you get the suncoast and shift kit?

Thanks for posting the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:15 am 
LOST Addict

ed. wrote:
Very nice.
It's the area under the lines that matter the most :)

if he gets the drf files we can actually look at that information, we have been doing 90th order regressions in the past to pretty accurately compare data with other dynos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Newbie question, Ed,

what does the area under the curve give?

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:30 am 
LOST Addict

Bill.Barg wrote:
Newbie question, Ed,

what does the area under the curve give?

Bill

Technically when we integrate the area under the curve I think we should be getting torque out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[quote="Bill.Barg"]Now we need to F37 your tranny to find out how much torque is lost!

Maybe the person who bought too TCM's thinking they were pre F37 can lend him one :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:10 am 
LOST Addict

If someone sends me an F37 TCM and $60, I'll do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Are you saying that they only charge $300 for the InMotion now? That is much less than a bit ago.
Oh Yeah, how does it feel driving the new KJ CRD IM?

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:08 pm 
LOST Member

I just checked the InMotion website and they list the Stage 2 and Ecotune for $350. The full custom tune is $500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:10 pm 
LOST Member

Since InMotion never responded to my email, perhaps some of you that have actually discussed their tuning parameters can explain what parameters are adjusted for $350 and what an additional $150 will net me?

I'm hoping to hear nice things like disabling the EGR and associated CEL, increased turbo boost pressure within safe operating limits, increased fueling, delete the speed limiter, increase the rev limit. The kind of stuff that puts a grin on your face, rubber on the road, soot in the air and generally makes the dent in your wallet seem worthwhile.

05 Liberty CRD Limited
Rocketchip Level 1, Provent

03 Jetta TDI Wgn 5 spd
Rocketchip Level 5 with upgraded: turbo, DD clutch, fuel delivery, intake and exhaust systems. Deletes: EGR cooler, EGR, Cat.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in English, thank a veteran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Regarding the price, just call them and you can work something out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:00 am 
LOST Member

Ok, now I'm confused. If you have the InMotion program in the engine CPU, just how will the F37 TCM flash effect the horsepower and torque? Once the tranny is in high gear, it's up the motor. You are not measuring the shift points, or doing a simulated 1/4 mile, are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:34 am 
LOST Junkie

brew1 wrote:
I'm hoping to hear nice things like disabling the EGR and associated CEL, increased turbo boost pressure within safe operating limits, increased fueling, delete the speed limiter, increase the rev limit. The kind of stuff that puts a grin on your face, rubber on the road, soot in the air and generally makes the dent in your wallet seem worthwhile.

I'm with brew1. The first outfit that can implement the full ORM kit effects in software has my money.

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

chrispitude wrote:
I'm with brew1. The first outfit that can implement the full ORM kit effects in software has my money.

- Chris

To that add "UN F37"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:43 am 
LOST Addict

bhysjulien wrote:
I just checked the InMotion website and they list the Stage 2 and Ecotune for $350. The full custom tune is $500.

Check eBay. I saw the stage 1 and 2 listed for$300 with buy it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

If Jeff Roberts (Rocket Chip)wasn't up to his eyeballs tuning VW TDI ECU's I'd pester him to see what he can do for a CRD. Hell, maybe I'll pester him anyway. I think we would need to get enough folks together that would be interested in having him work up a performance tune that does all of the things I mentioned to make it worth his while.

If your wondering who Rocket Chip is, head over to Freds TDI forum and do a search. Inmotion Tuning isn't much of a player for tuning VW diesels so it doesn't surprise me they don't have much to offer for tuning a CRD either.

05 Liberty CRD Limited
Rocketchip Level 1, Provent

03 Jetta TDI Wgn 5 spd
Rocketchip Level 5 with upgraded: turbo, DD clutch, fuel delivery, intake and exhaust systems. Deletes: EGR cooler, EGR, Cat.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in English, thank a veteran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 pm 
LOST Member

Turbo Tim,

From what I understand, the ECM and TCM talk to one another. The ECM sends info over to the TCM as to what the HP and torque are. It actually sends a whole bunch of information like air temp, air flow, etc. The TCM then determines, using the supplied information, when to shift. We'll call this the "baseline".The F37 essentially changes the shift points through a different "baseline". The motor is still working the same but power is put to the ground via the transmission, and with the F37, the transmission is now nuetered to some degree because of the new "baseline". Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Dave

Yukon Rear Axles
265/75 16 TrXus M/T's and Bridgestone Revo's
Fumoto Valve
Aero Turbine 2525
Rock Lizard Komodo Bumper
Sundance Custom's Front Bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:19 pm 
LOST Member

I understand why and how the shift points change with different driving conditions, temps, etc... What didn't make sense is once the tranny is done shifting, it's up to the engine to do the rest.

From my experience when we dyno a off road car, we shif through the gears, but once your in high gear, you nail it and "Most" tests start at 50 mph and go through 110 mph. Of course the start and finish points can be changed, etc., but how fast you get from the starting mph to the finish mph, that's the test (no shifts allowed). The time from start to finish, with the weight of the car, other factors, etc.., equal horsepower (and torque).

Now if the converter is unlocking, etc., that will change the numbers....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:15 pm 
LOST Addict

My understanding was that the TCM can request a power reduction (like ESP does) from the ECM whenever it is overheating, regardless of gear. If that does not make things better and the temp gets out of control it will trigger limp mode. It is also my understanding the DC is using this signal to lower the torque in lockup when cruising to save the paper mache lockup clutch. InMotion said they could flash the ECM to ignore these power reduction requests, however that would be hazardous as if your tranny was overheating the ECM would not reduce power. I wish I could remember where I got all this from, it could be totally wrong.