It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Airbox mod (warning, lots of photos)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:43 am 
LOST Junkie

Well, the rains have started in the soggy Pacific Northwest, so a week ago I ordered the full airbox mod "kit" from www.moparsupercenter.com. Grand total was roughly $110 bucks. Ordered online, so service wasn't really an issue... standard USPS shipping kinda sucked (took over a week), but hey, it was cheap. Only complaint on the package was that the mounting bolt for the air dam was not included (I had to scrounge around in the garage to find something that will work.

Anyway, on to the photos....

My wife drove the CRD from Portland to Seattle and back over the weekend, including a couple of hours driving in heavy rain. Here is what the bottom of the airbox looked like 24 hours later...

As if that wasn't bad enough, here is what the NAPA Gold filter looked like after just 3,000 miles of use:

Check out the dead bugs and twigs (sorry for the photo quality):

Yikes!

Pulling the old box out was no problem (as others have noted, just loosen the clamp holding your airbox top into the engine air duct, pull it off and set it aside, then gently pull the box bottom out). The new bottom was a bit of a pain, but only because it was hard to align the studs with the grommets in the dark.

Here's the new box with the snorkel in place:

And here it is with the rain shield installed (note the stainless still screw and nylon lock nut holding it on):

All done in roughly 45 minutes (would have been 20 in daylight). First thing I noticed was the ungodly amount of air our little diesel sucks even sitting at idle. Holding my hand in front of the snorkel while the engine was idling, it felt roughly equivilant to one of those cheap dustbuster hand vacuums! Test drive went fine... will monitor the mpgs for any change over the next few weeks.

Final note... question for others who have done this mod... what did you do about the stock air "scoop" located in the grill? On mine, part of the headlight assembly appears to be attached to it. Should I just leave it?

One more question... I've been looking at VW TDI's the last week or so, and it seems VW ships them with both an air filter and a "snow screen" pre-filter on the intake. Given the amount of air our diesel is sucking, I wonder if this might be an upgrade worth considering?

235/75/16 Firestone Destination ATs (summer)
Thule roof rack, cargo box
V6 airbox mod
Flowmaster 50 2.5 inch muffler
Edge EZ module (set for fuel economy)
SEGR
TDIWagonGuy CCV filter
B99 (summer), B20 (winter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had 99.5 jetta (a4 body) tdi. Early on I removed it as it was very clogged at around 30k miles as I recall. My son has the car now and it's still young at 120k but still runs well :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just about everyone I know and on both of my TDI's the snowscreen was the first thing removed, they
clog way to easy and you don't have a 2nd air feed trap door, like the TDI's have to supply air should the
snowscreen become plugged.

Tal & Hadas Grill Guard/TransGo Shift Kit
V-6 AirBox/Lunar Boost & EGT
Lund Cold Weather Grill Insert
OEM updated Filter Head, Cummins Lift Pump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good post - did you get a shot of the V6 box interior, showing the snorkle entrance?

Same angle as the shot into the CRD box would be good, if you please.

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:03 am 
LOST Addict

Had the V6 airbox on mine for around 15K miles now, along with a Filterminder restriction indicator. IMO, no need for a "snowscreen" - the difference in location for the air inlet reduces the amount of ingested dirt and trash to virtually nil. No evidence of ANY water ingestion, filter would still look clean even after a 3K round trip to TX, most I've ever had to clean out of the bottom box is a couple stray bugs.

One other suggestion - go with a NAPA/Wix air filter, or an Amsoil EAA synthetic air filter - more pleats and surface area than the stock Mopar air filter.

FYI - AEF and AEM now make versions of their Pro Dry and Dry Flow dry(no oil) synthetic air filters that will fit the stock air box as well.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

Interior of the new airbox:

The scratched up area is where the casting process for the plastic left a little "lip" inside the duct... I scraped it off with a knife, then sanded it smooth.

I generally use NAPA Gold filters in my vehicles. The new airbox actually came with a fresh MOPAR filter.

235/75/16 Firestone Destination ATs (summer)
Thule roof rack, cargo box
V6 airbox mod
Flowmaster 50 2.5 inch muffler
Edge EZ module (set for fuel economy)
SEGR
TDIWagonGuy CCV filter
B99 (summer), B20 (winter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lookin' good - thanks

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:04 pm 
LOST Addict

One thing I just remembered - might want to put some loom on that 3/8" coolant line that runs from the radiator to the surge tank, where it passes under the snorkel. On mine, wasn't a whole lot of clearance and I was concerned about that coolant hose chafing on the snorkel. There was enough contact between that hose and the snorkel that the coolant passing thru was heating up the snorkel to the point it was almost hot to the touch.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

Am I seeing it correctly that there is a "deflector"in front of the snorkel intake? If you removed that deflector, would the rain you take in be outwieghed in value by the potential increased airflow?

I still want to build a cone out in front to scoop even more air in....

99.5 FrankenJetta TDI (R.I.P.): being turned into diesel hybrid!
99.5 Replacement Jetta TDI: deal of a lifetime, EHM, some other stuff

Post subject: Question about this mod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've read alot about this mod on this site but have been skeptical. The pics sway me a little more to laying down some $.

Question: was the hood from '03-'05 changed so that the hood, when closed, interferes with the snorkel's operation?
Thanks,
Boiler

GDE EcoTune w/ unl torque
Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor Tires
over 192,000+ miles
100k mile service performed
5V Glow Plugs Installed and ECM updated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't think they made changes, I have been running the 02 airbox in my 05 CRD for about a year and a half.

No issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I switched to the 02 airbox. Very easy mod. Takes about 10 minutes.

The deflector did not come with the airbox I snagged from the J-yard for 20 bucks so I did not put it on. NO ill effects so far but I'm waiting for that big rain.

Post subject: Re: Question about this mod
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

boilermaker2 wrote:
I've read alot about this mod on this site but have been skeptical. The pics sway me a little more to laying down some $.

Question: was the hood from '03-'05 changed so that the hood, when closed, interferes with the snorkel's operation?
Thanks,
Boiler

I bought the box and yes it will so I install the box without the elbow that goes in front with the diflector. What I did was to cut an small grill to fit inside of the dillector that come with the box, to stop insets and what ever. It works ok.( I made the grill from the back of an old filter.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:13 am 
LOST Member

MrWinkey wrote:
I switched to the 02 airbox. Very easy mod. Takes about 10 minutes.

The deflector did not come with the airbox I snagged from the J-yard for 20 bucks so I did not put it on. NO ill effects so far but I'm waiting for that big rain.

The deflector is only about $12 from Mopar.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject: deflector
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:45 am 
LOST Member

I've run without the deflector in heavy rains without any additional water showing up in the airbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I installed the extra dam and then cut a 4" piece off the hood weather stripping...I took that weather stripping and stuffed it between the Power Steering Resevoir and the hose clamo on the air intake. Works great.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject: Re: Airbox mod (warning, lots of photos)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey all. I'm new to the Jeep CRD, but I have an 04.5 Cummins. And I actually did a homemade airbox mod on it and just wanted to make a suggestion that I don't know if it will work or not because I actually am picking up my CRD on Saturday so I don't even have an example to look at...

Anyway, on my Cummins I used the stock air box and cut a 4" hole in the bottom to make a "snorkel" or ram air instead of running it up toward the hood. Then I used a dryer hose to run down and ziptied it to the fender guard and put a dryer vent on it with guards to keep any critters out. This would eliminate the water problem in the box because the water would run down...

I don't know if it would work or if it's even possible because like I said, I don't even have mine yet, but I'm sure there is someone smarter than me on here that if they didn't think of that could make it work...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:23 pm 
LOST Member

Looks like this thread has been dormant for a while, but I just purchased a 2006 CRD and this is one of the mods I am planning (along with upgrading to the Hayden clutch when I change timing belt, hopefully the GDE Full Torque Eco Tune, 2.5" clear through muffler, maybe the Samco turbo hoses, and eventually an upgraded torque convertor).

Is this V6 airbox (the snorkle) still the best way to go? Various threads on this forum and others report differing opinions. Is it worth the $120 or so to upgrade?

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:34 pm 
LOST Addict

kidjedi wrote:
Is this V6 airbox (the snorkle) still the best way to go? Various threads on this forum and others report differing opinions. Is it worth the $120 or so to upgrade?

I don't think it's worth it. It moves your intake point up what, 8 inches?

Put the money toward a Provent CCV filter instead.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:43 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the input, CATCRD. I wasn't sure if it was actually able to take in more air, or if it just repositions where it's taking the air in from.

And while I'm going to be sure to get the soot/mist out of my intake, I plan on doing it with the Full Torque Eco-boost from GDE... I'm just trying to source a Euro TC first!

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge