It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:32 am 
LOST Member

well, if anyone is interested,the ebay rack is no longer available.i had to go with the costco rack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I sprayed my cross rails black with bed liner. As far as the 65lbs. weight limit goes, I weigh 165lbs. and have sat in that basket a lot while playing with the basket lights. No problems at all.

Terry

CLICK TO ENLARGE:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:52 pm 
LOST Member

has anyone seen the universal cross bars on JEEPIN AL'S page?they are made by WESTIN and are designed to work with oe rails.only 30 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 am 
LOST Member

disregard my last post.i ordered it and its just a mounting kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:13 pm 
LOST Member

actually the kit came in handy.they included eyebolts on a bracket.i bolted the bracket to the hole on the crossrail on both sides,4 all together.will make for a tiedown or place to hook a cargo net to.wish i knew how to post pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Just another take on these rails and some info for anyone who is looking at doing them. I started putting mine on and it began to rain ridiculously so I only got the one up and mounted. The second will be just in front of the basket. I know it sounds weird but there is a grand scheme behind it all.

If you are attaching to the factory rails the 1 1/4" pipe clamps fit perfectly. On the top, you can make everything flush by finding some 3/16"x1 1/4 washers and some nice 1/4 countersunk bolts (all at the depot). Those 1/4" bolts will fit flush into the washers and not leave any bumps above the rack. The 1/4" bolts will go straight into the square nuts made for the unistrut on either side of the pipe clamps. If anyone likes, I can provide more pics of the individual hardware to save some searching.

Oh BTW... that paint on the cross bar is a Rustoleum spray can color.... if anyone else has the same color libby as me... that color is an almost exact match to our factory blue (metal flake and all)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nice work on the roof rack. Speaking of custom roof racks, my father has a full size work van. He needed a roof rack and actually used metal fence posts used from chain link fences. Theres a couple of eye bolts on there for tie down points and its actually very functional. It wouldnt look good on a Liberty but it looks fine for a full size work van :)

*Pro Car Detailer*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I tried to make similar rail for my roof, but because of the shape they would whistle any time I got over 65mph. It was so loud I bet there were deer jumping out of the way 50 miles ahead. It was so bad that I pulled over and took them off mid trip. Do yours make any wind noise?

-Michelin LTX AT2's (P235/70 R16)
-tow hooks (front) D-ring (back)
-graphite tail light guards
-K&N air filter

bluegrasslost member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I would be interested in getting specs for the rails (bolt sizes, clamps, etc...) I have the same roof rack as yours (rounded) and was wondering what type of brackets you would use to attach the cross rails. So with your list and a few dollars I hope to get to the Depot to get my self on the trail.

Kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:27 am 
LOST Member

Very clever. Thank you for sharing.

245/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:53 am 
LOST Addict

kit carson wrote:
I would be interested in getting specs for the rails (bolt sizes, clamps, etc...) I have the same roof rack as yours (rounded) and was wondering what type of brackets you would use to attach the cross rails. So with your list and a few dollars I hope to get to the Depot to get my self on the trail.

Kit

Were you asking me or someone else?

Post subject: my version
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:05 pm 
LOST Member

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=324614pb.1mirnc53&Uy=-cd46om&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Same unistrut as everyone else is using, just welded sheet metal on the ends and used carriage bolts thru the factory rails (had to drill the holes for the carriage bolts) Not adjustable, but very strong.

Where I mounted them, the front rail would whistle around 40-50 and 60-70, not cool. I ended up putting some rubber mat down in the channel to block the holes....whistle gone! 8)

Post subject: Re: my version
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkoen01 wrote:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=324614pb.1mirnc53&Uy=-cd46om&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Same unistrut as everyone else is using, just welded sheet metal on the ends and used carriage bolts thru the factory rails (had to drill the holes for the carriage bolts) Not adjustable, but very strong.

Where I mounted them, the front rail would whistle around 40-50 and 60-70, not cool. I ended up putting some rubber mat down in the channel to block the holes....whistle gone! 8)

Great idea. I'll try that.

-Michelin LTX AT2's (P235/70 R16)
-tow hooks (front) D-ring (back)
-graphite tail light guards
-K&N air filter

bluegrasslost member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:01 am 
LOST Newbie

If anyone likes, I can provide more pics of the individual hardware to save some searching.

Yup, I thought you would have some nut and bolt sizes and such so when I showed up at home Depot I would be able to fill my goody bag (like trick or treating).

Kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here are my crossbars. You guys convinced me to build my own. They are 1"x2"x1/8" stainless steel tube. :D
Oh and I built them last night.Thanks guys. :twisted:

rockkrawler wheels
EHM/SEGR almost, freeflow exhaust 5"hole
custom cross rails
SC ROCKSTAR (the first)
Life changes with kids,make sure it is for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:53 pm 
LOST Member

So I will be building my cross rails very soon and stopped by Home Depot to price out the items. The spring nuts that are used to hold the strut to the clamp, are they 1/2" or 3/8"?

-Up Next: Lift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kit carson wrote:
If anyone likes, I can provide more pics of the individual hardware to save some searching.

Yup, I thought you would have some nut and bolt sizes and such so when I showed up at home Depot I would be able to fill my goody bag (like trick or treating).

Kit

If the offers still good, I'd like the info too.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:49 am 
LOST Addict

Sorry, been caught up at work... I'll try and do that for you today or tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

durangotang wrote:
Sorry, been caught up at work... I'll try and do that for you today or tomorrow.

No Prob, know how that is!

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Alright, I picked up some Uni-strut from an electrician friend (free) and some U-bolts now all I got to do is cut to size, grind the ends some so they are not to sharp, then sand and paint them. I also bought some Plasti Dip to dip the U-Bolts in so they don't ruin the side rails and I'm also going to dip the ends of the Uni-struts so that they will help keep from drawing blood if I run into them.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next