It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remote Start with Sentry Key
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm looking at installing remote start in my 2005 KJ. I have Sentry keys and will need a bypass module to make the SKIS module think there's a key in the ignition. It seams that all the bypass modules are simply hard-mount Sentry key clones which are activated by a single enable wire from a remote start module. Doesn't this defeat the point of Sentry key? In order to start the Jeep, a thief would need only to short the bypass enable wire and proceed with a typical hot wire....

An ideal system would store the Sentry key code in the remote start module and only transmit it to the bypass module when the remote start button is pressed. Similar to the OEM system, this would prevent a thief from simply shorting wires. Does the OEM remote start work in this manner, or does it simply activate its bypass module with an enable wire like the other bypasses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

From my experience the OEM remote system works the same way after market ones do with transponder bypass.

I've asked myself the same question about disabling the anti-theft system.

Here's the thing though. The Sentry system, like other OEM systems, doesn't continuously change codes. Your vehicle is programed to recognize your keys. So there really is no other way around it. It's either use a bypass module, or no remote starter. Most bypass modules either have to be energized, or see ground before they work.
A would be theif would have to figure out how your make and model remote stater/bypass module work, and then know the system to be able to steel it.

The way I see it, a factory anti-theft is just a deterant to thieves.

Around here I don't really worry about theft.

2006 Liberty Sport

Post subject: I don't have the factory remote
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:48 pm 
LOST Addict

But I have an after market one installed.When you start remotely it's fine but the moment you touch the brake pedal it kills the engine. So you still need a key to drive

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject: aftermarket security
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:26 am 
LOST Member

OEM whether it be remote start, keyless entry, or being able to open your trunk with a push of a button
it is all based on aftermarket products. if you look at newer vehicles with keyless entry they only really
have a range between 15-50 ft while aftermarket provides distances up to 1000 ft. there are even programs
that will let you start your vehicle with your cell phone or even alert you of a break in. the more exspensive
the system the more complicated it actually gets. you can get a full set up that has multiple cameras that
activate during an alarm and will record it on a flash drive for later review. to get to the point unless you
live in a high auto theft area a keyless entry remote start combo would be for you but if you think you need
more how much are you willing to spend in terms of your cars well being? keep it simple and enjoy.

Yellow Top Optima Battery
RE XXX 12 subwoofer in 2.5 cubic ft slot vented box tuned to 32 hz
Earthquake PHD5000w amp
Earthquake 2 channel amp
MTX 6001 axe seperates 6 1/2 front speakers with 1" soft dome tweeters