It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Loco the test rat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bill.Barg wrote:
LocoCRD wrote:
I guess I'm the test rat...I ordered these parts from Mopar Parts America. I'll post pics of what I get.

So.... you get the goods?

They came yesterday. The pump is identical to the one gmctd posted pics of, even has the same part numbers on the top. The harness looks the same, but the first 2 part numbers on the tag are different, but the 3rd is the same. Will get some pics posted soon, and will puttem in when I run alittle more fuel though the beast for a lighter tank, and hopefully it will warm up some too.

SEGR ala TurboTim
255/70/16 Big O on Rubis minor trimming required
87k+ miles=3 factory TC's, 2 front pumps, 1 turbo, & drivers side wheel bearing/hub
Suncoast TC and Transgo Snake oil-41k
New Front Drive shaft-30K
Stage 2 InMotion Tune-54k, makes me go :)
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:58 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm interested to hear how it goes as it sounds like a nice clean mod. I've been meaning to check and see if I have the access panel or will need to drop the tank. Anyone know when they removed the service panel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you carefully pry up the rear gate trim panel, then the carpet, you can see that area of the floor - if the sound-deadening coating is smooth and unbroken, you don't get the service access panel - I 'spect it went away in '03-'04 - would make the job sort of easier (there's other stuff fastened thru the floor around that area), but dropping the tank on this newer vehicle was no problem

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As a point of interest, I frequent several Dodge forums - while posting success with the Dodge lift pump module, I noticed they were all having trouble with the high output add-on aftermarket super-lift-pump\filter bank systems, in that they all seemed to run out of fuel at ~1/4 tank - immediately deducing the problem at seeing the cheesy intank plumbing supplied by the various vendors, I posted pics of the Jeep fuel module, suggesting they use them, rather than merely disabling the Dodge pumps and drilling multiple holes in the fuel tank for the Kraft American plumbing - one guy immediately took up the challenge, installed one in his tank, and voila! - the accursed 1/4-tank fuel starvation problem solved - and all for only $96bucks at yer local fuel module emporium.

Excellent exchange of technology, eh what?

Yeah, I'm bad! I'm bad! I am simply too bad for my hat!

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes, you're bad, and for your penance you are in charge of setting up the Jeep Liberty CRD/Dodge Cummins fuel pickup unit swap program :twisted:

Seriously, thanks much for the insight you provide :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

05crd wrote:
Yes, you're bad, and for your penance you are in charge of setting up the Jeep Liberty CRD/Dodge Cummins fuel pickup unit swap program :twisted:

Seriously, thanks much for the insight you provide :D

X2 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's always satisfying when I can help, so it's very rewarding to see something come together like this, with a viable oem off-the-shelf solution for an oem-created problem - but to see the problem in one area become a solution in another area doesn't often happen.

The unbridled boyish exuberance helps keep the old ticker pumping - the cheesy humor......well, a captive audience is a terrible thing to waste...................

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

gmctd wrote:
As a point of interest, I frequent several Dodge forums - while posting success with the Dodge lift pump module, I noticed they were all having trouble with the high output add-on aftermarket super-lift-pump\filter bank systems, in that they all seemed to run out of fuel at ~1/4 tank - immediately deducing the problem at seeing the cheesy intank plumbing supplied by the various vendors, I posted pics of the Jeep fuel module, suggesting they use them, rather than merely disabling the Dodge pumps and drilling multiple holes in the fuel tank for the Kraft American plumbing - one guy immediately took up the challenge, installed one in his tank, and voila! - the accursed 1/4-tank fuel starvation problem solved - and all for only $96bucks at yer local fuel module emporium.

Excellent exchange of technology, eh what?

Yeah, I'm bad! I'm bad! I am simply too bad for my hat!

I'm slow on the uptake sometimes, so let me make sure I understand what you're saying here... Are you saying that the Dodge guys remove their OEM pumps in favor of aftermarket units... but then have a problem w/ pickup b/c they don't have a correctly manufactured replacement (sans pump) to put into the tank? Which... is exactly what our CRD floats/pickups are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

gmctd wrote:
[... wisdom] Yeah, I'm bad! I'm bad! I am simply too bad for my hat!

Amen, bro.

I picture a little jig taking place concurrently with the ditty! :lol:

diesels rule, gas drools... 8)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A little background may be required -

You may have noticed the tremendous revolution that has taken place on the dragstrips and other motorsports arenas across the nation and around the world: Diesel engines rock!

And with the simplest of modifications, Diesel engines rule!

Yer grampaw's Diesels, these ain't!!

The relatively small Cummins 5.9L turboDiesel exits the factory in a state of tune easily producing factory spec'ed 350hp and 560ftlbs torque - with very slight alteration, a simple ECM reflash, it will easily and reliably produce 500hp and ~800ftlbs torque, all the while remaining docile and tractable, easily driven on the street and returning excellent fuel economy.

The late factory fuel supply system, an order of magnitude improved over previous versions, will supply fuel to meet that demand.

That ain't the wall, tho - add a few more mods and you're looking at 960hp and ~1200ftlbs torque - few more and yer lookin at 1200hp and ~1800ftlbs torque - all from that little 360cuin 6cyl engine - ain't no gasser (patooie!) even comes close!

However, the excellent oem fuel supply has hit it's limit at the 500hp level, to which problem racers began bypassing the oem system in favor of external high output lift pump systems, to which the aftermarket has responded with many variants, all of which have resulted in a problem with fuel supply vs fuel level.
The simple tubing drop, where the tank is drilled and a piece of larger diameter pvc tubing is inserted for increased fuel pickup as required to feed the external pump\filter system, draws air when the fuel is sloshing at 1/4-tank levels, even moreso below that, where the fuel naturally foams and bubbles when sloshed around.

Enter the Jeep fuel module, identical to the Dodge except pumpless - it is specifically designed to prevent the foaming and aeration which is problematical with Diesel fuel systems, particularly when the fuel is at low levels in the tank.

I knew about their lift pump module - it solves our problem - and I knew about our anti-slosh module, so I figgered our module could solve that problem for them - and it does, and being ABS\PVC can be easily modified for adequate fuel supply to meet increased performance demand.

Seems as tho them DCX engineers do know more than the street guys give them credit for, eh?

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's an interesting read about the sending unit and fuel pump we are looking at putting in our Libertys.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/images/PDFs/IntankPumpExposed.pdf

Even though it has this issue, it still seems like a good thing to do. I am planning on doing this mod and adding an electric fuel pressure gauge inside the cab. Just waiting to see how the parts that Loco ordered work out so we have definite part numbers of what to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes, I read that upon suggestion of a Dodge forum member - it's interesting but off-base - dunno if that's because he didn't fully comprehend the concept, or as inducement to upgrade to their very expensive hi-output system - note that pic with all the foam in the bucket: very scary to a guy running his truck in competition, and you'll see some of those guys in Diesel Power and other mags, but equally scary to the street-racer or casual smoker - really sells fuel systems, imo.

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok fellas... It is still too cold and wet for me to be dropping the tank to play with these new parts. Hopefully the weather will warm up a little this week. Until then here's the pics I promised...

SEGR ala TurboTim
87k+ miles=3 factory TC's, 2 front pumps, 1 turbo, & drivers side wheel bearing/hub
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Loco, I think you may have said before (pages ago), but how much did those items cost you. If you don't mind. Oh, and thanks for the pics. :D

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good pics - here's whatcha got:

2nd pic - Excellent - includes new o-ring - replace during swapout

4th pic - '05 V6 KJ rear harness

5th pic - Correct p\n for '05 V6 KJ - mine was '07 V6 KJ w\14pin connector for 4wABS

6th pic - '05 10pin connector, needs to be reconfigured for Diesel, airc

7th pic - Unused connector, for V6 vacuum test module, not for Diesel

8th pic - Fuel module connector

9th pic - Speed sensor connector

10pin connector wiring for '05 Diesel
1 - n\c

2 - Grn\2Rd - lift pump

3 - n\c

4 - Grn\Blu - RWSS

5 - Grn - RWSS

6 - n\c, don't care

7 - n\c, don't care

8 - DkBlu - fuel guage sensor

9 - DkBlu\Yel - fuel guage sensor

10 - n\c

Lift pump ground is separate black wire attached to the floorpan, bypassing the 10pin connector

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Last edited by gmctd on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Goglio704 wrote:
Loco, I think you may have said before (pages ago), but how much did those items cost you. If you don't mind. Oh, and thanks for the pics. :D

1 ea 56050284AB Wire harness $35.85
1 ea 5143160AA Fuel Module $156.21
Shipping $15.36
Total $207.42

gmctd thanks for the pinout for the connector.

Dennis

SEGR ala TurboTim
B&M Tranny Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

gmtd

Once a couple of these mods have been sucessfully completed could a stickey be made including harness numbers for 05 or 06 and with or without ABS and and pin changes to the harness be made? Also do tire pressure monitors play into the harness selection?

Thanks
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good questions, Joe - what are your thoughts on posting the procedure with pics and p\n's in the TECH forum for permanent reference, rather than eating up dynamic real estate in the Q&A forum?

The tire pressure monitors are individual radio transmitters attached to the valve stem in each wheel - dunno where the receiver is, but it is not sourced thru that rear harness - that harness services only the -

'05 models -
- Fuel guage
- Proposed lift pump
- Vehicle Speed Sensor
- Vacuum Leak Detector in the V6 models

'06, '07 models
- ABS system
- Fuel guage
- Proposed lift pump
- Vehicle Speed Sensor

Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

gmctd wrote:
Good questions, Joe - what are your thoughts on posting the procedure with pics and p\n's in the TECH forum for permanent reference, rather than eating up dynamic real estate in the Q&A forum?

The tire pressure monitors are individual radio transmitters attached to the valve stem in each wheel - dunno where the receiver is, but it is not sourced thru that rear harness - that harness services only the -

'05 models -
- Fuel guage
- Proposed lift pump
- Vehicle Speed Sensor

'06, '07 models
- ABS system
- Fuel guage
- Proposed lift pump
- Vehicle Speed Sensor

Tech section sounds fine :D I can do the mod and take plenty of pictures but it won't be till spring and warmer weather. Could be sooner as my son has a very large heated garage :) Is there a possiblity of hooking up with a online parts dealer that would offer a group buy were members could mention LOST and get a couple of dollars off :lol: I've been holding off hoping, foolish I know, that there would be a recall but that's out now. I'm sure otherswere sitting on the fence waiting too :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Joe Romas wrote:
Tech section sounds fine :D I can do the mod and take plenty of pictures but it won't be till spring and warmer weather. Could be sooner as my son has a very large heated garage :) Is there a possiblity of hooking up with a online parts dealer that would offer a group buy were members could mention LOST and get a couple of dollars off :lol: I've been holding off hoping, foolish I know, that there would be a recall but that's out now. I'm sure otherswere sitting on the fence waiting too :cry:

Yep, I was sitting on that same fence. I'd absolutely love to see a nice writeup with pictures in the tech section. A group buy on the parts would be icing on the cake, if you were willing to make the phone calls.

- Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next