It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A few pictures:

Cut, sanded and de-greased

Primer coat

Painted

Rubber tipped

I have to wait a couple of hours to let the rubber dry and then I can install them.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Installed:

Thanks for the great, money saving idea!!

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:54 pm 
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching

where did you get that Geocacher sticker? Looks cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, found it on Ebay last year, haven't seen any more though. You a Geocacher?

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:08 pm 
LOST Member

I was all set to purchase 1 1/4" pipe clamps but want to be sure I get the correct style. Are you all using this?
http://img-europe.electrocomponents.com ... 744-01.gif

If this is what you're using, then are the bolts simply to hold the clamps in place and keep them from sliding out on the rail? One last thing, if one uses U-bolts, would they be 1 1/4" u-bolts as well?
-c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I used U-Bolts with lock washers & Locking acorn nuts. I'll check the size in the morning, but I'm pretty sure they are 1¼". I also dipped them in the rubber handle dip (Plasti Dip from Lowes) to help from damaging the OEM rails.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not sure how you measure the U-bolts so here's what I did. I measured from center of bolt to center of bolt and it was 1½". I posted pictures of the racks mounted on the Libby at on cardomain page.

Just a side note:
During windy days, depending on how strong the cross winds are, I do get a whistling/ siren sound from them. If I raise my sunroof up the noise goes away. I'll have to make an air-dam to solve the problem.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just bought the uni-strut, u-bolts, washers, nylon nuts, spray can of bedliner, & can of plasti-dip today... all for less than $30. Once I get everything prepped/sprayed/dipped, I'll install my rails, then my Black Widow basket.

I'll post pics - I'm going to try & mount the x-rails on the bottom of the factory roof rails for a lower profile. Not sure it will work that way though.

Thank you everyone for sharing the wonderful ideas!!

L.O.S.T. #075255
Patriot Blue 2002 Sport, OME Lift, 245/75/16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Black Widow Basket, Magnaflow Exhaust, Sirius Radio, Alpine Blackbird GPS, Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, Homemade Cross Rails, Debadged, Amsoil Bumper-to-Bumper, More Mods to Come...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:37 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

PaU-MWolverine wrote:
Just bought the uni-strut, u-bolts, washers, nylon nuts, spray can of bedliner, & can of plasti-dip today... all for less than $30. Once I get everything prepped/sprayed/dipped, I'll install my rails, then my Black Widow basket.

I'll post pics - I'm going to try & mount the x-rails on the bottom of the factory roof rails for a lower profile. Not sure it will work that way though.

if you look at the curvature of the roof I dont think they will work that way, I havent used the unistrut but thats why I did mine the way I did. low as possible without a custom rack like RLs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
PaU-MWolverine wrote:

if you look at the curvature of the roof I dont think they will work that way, I havent used the unistrut but thats why I did mine the way I did. low as possible without a custom rack like RLs

Mr. Mudd, I value your opinion very much, seeing your various posts and wealth of knowledge. Thank you for the insight - after looking again, I believe you are correct! But, because I'm a knucklehead, I'm going to try anyway just for $h!+s & giggles... :D :wink:

L.O.S.T. #075255
Patriot Blue 2002 Sport, OME Lift, 245/75/16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Black Widow Basket, Magnaflow Exhaust, Sirius Radio, Alpine Blackbird GPS, Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, Homemade Cross Rails, Debadged, Amsoil Bumper-to-Bumper, More Mods to Come...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:43 am 

PaU-MWolverine wrote:
tommudd wrote:
PaU-MWolverine wrote:

Mr. Mudd, I value your opinion very much, seeing your various posts and wealth of knowledge. Thank you for the insight - after looking again, I believe you are correct! But, because I'm a knucklehead, I'm going to try anyway just for $h!+s & giggles... :D :wink:

No problem everyone needs some $h!+s & giggles every now and again!

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got everything sprayed/dipped yesterday, let it all cure overnight. This afternoon I installed the x-rails & the basket. Some pics below of the process:

After I put on the x-rails, I brushed on the Plasti-Dip:

Then the end result:

Thanks again sooo much for the great ideas!!! :D

L.O.S.T. #075255

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks great PaU-MWolverine!

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:52 pm 

OK Steve......thought I would see them on the bottom not the top , so disappointed :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just messing with ya

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
OK Steve......thought I would see them on the bottom not the top , so disappointed :cry:

just messing with ya

Tom

I tried... it wasn't the shape of the roof, but the "taper" of the roof rails - ~38-1/2" in the rear & ~42-1/2" in the front. I'm disappointed too. :(
Would have been a better look, but OK nevertheless. Thanks Tom. :D

L.O.S.T. #075255

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, this is going to be a goofy question.
Would one of you guys be able to build me a set of those roof rails? The nearest garage I have acess to is 150 miles @ the parents (It sucks living in a duplex ). I would definitely pay for labor & material cost.

Please PM me and we can work the details.

Thanks!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

buccilli15 wrote:
Ok, this is going to be a goofy question.
Would one of you guys be able to build me a set of those roof rails? The nearest garage I have acess to is 150 miles @ the parents (It sucks living in a duplex ). I would definitely pay for labor & material cost.

Please PM me and we can work the details.

Thanks!!! :D

Hey buccilli15 - I PM'ed you!!!

L.O.S.T. #075255

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:58 pm 
LOST Member

PaU-MWolverine wrote:
tommudd wrote:

just messing with ya

Tom

I tried... it wasn't the shape of the roof, but the "taper" of the roof rails - ~38-1/2" in the rear & ~42-1/2" in the front. I'm disappointed too. :(
Would have been a better look, but OK nevertheless. Thanks Tom. :D

Ha Ha, I tried that same exact thing, the rack wouldn't fit inside the rails. It is all good though and now that I look at my Jeep I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Up Next: Lift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:49 am 
LOST Newbie

What length unistrut are y'all using? When purchased, do you buy two pieces, or one long one then cut it yourself? Also, where is that stuff found in the store?

Last edited by jaysus on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:23 pm 
LOST Addict

You just buy the long sections (6 or 8 foot I think) If you are lucky you can get an employee to cut it to the length you need. They are in the electrical section by all of the conduit tubing. (Usually standing up)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next