It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: disable traction control
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:36 am 
LOST Newbie

I hate traction control, where i live its kicking in all the time most often at the wrong time. The ESP disable button seems to be there as a decoration. Is there anyway of disabling the traction control short of buying a 2005?

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD - DRL's activated, Moab wheels and 215/85/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Frankenlifted, Cummins Lift pump, Magnaflow 2.5" all the way back, no cat , suncoast, Viper command start, Valentine One.
1967 Jeep M725 - a real cream puff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

the only way I know of is to pull the ABS pump fuse; but then you loose ABS (duh) which is a drawback.

I think I remember seeing somebody wire a switch inline with the fuse so they could disable it from inside the vehicle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 pm 
LOST Member

some chrysler cars have a switch to disable.
you could un plug abs module but you loose abs/ esp

Post subject: Re: disable traction control
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:30 pm 
LOST Addict

bigcoupee wrote:
I hate traction control, where i live its kicking in all the time most often at the wrong time. The ESP disable button seems to be there as a decoration. Is there anyway of disabling the traction control short of buying a 2005?

Traction control kicking in means that it's time to put it in full time 4X4. :lol:

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did not know the 06 had trac control, especially one that can not be switched off...even happier that I have an 05.

1980 Corvette Purple 400hp
2001 HD soft tail Deuce Black
1985 Honda ATC 250SX Red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

ESP has been fantastic on icy roads in our 2006. I tried throwing the vehicle into hard turns and giving throttle to get it to spin out, but it really kept its composure. I have not been a fan of traction control systems on other vehicles, but I am impressed with how well ESP works in 4WD-FT on the CRD.

- Chris

Suncoast TC, Transgo shift kit, Inmotion, ORM, EHM, Magnaflow SS exhaust, Fumoto valve, EVIC added, Hensley TruControl brake controller, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LR-D in spring/summer/fall, FIA winter front and Blizzaks in winter

Post subject: ESP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The only time I found shutting off the ESP helped, was when I was towing the OLD VW Van with a tow bar. The ESP would over correct for what the Van was doing to the Liberty with a strong side wind. As soon as I got home, I unhooked the tow bar and I turned the ESP back on. The only time my ESP light comes on is under slippery conditions, if the road is super slick I put it into Part Time 4WD and for normal slick I go with Full Time 4WD, so I don't get the drive train wind up.
I have driven rental cars with Traction Control that I could not rock out of being stuck with out shutting off the Traction Control. Unlike Traction Control, I have not had the Big Brother is helping the nut behind the wheel feeling with ESP.

One place often overlooked as being a slick spot, is at intersections where the old clunker Semis and Garbage Trucks drip oil onto the pavement. When it is dry, the oil is absorbed by the asphalt, but when it is wet, the water brings some of the oil, not yet absorbed out of the asphalt pockets and up to where the tires contact the pavement, making the wheels spin and setting off the ESP.

If you want to have some fun, this is a time you can put the transfer case selector into Part Time 4WD and humiliate the Big Block Tahoe, Suburban,or Expedition next to you at the light with your CRD (been there done that) :idea:

I have never had my ESP light come on when I have it in Part Time 4WD :wink:

BTW, BlackLibertyCRD has the right fix too.

Steve

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've had my traction control come on and try to control the jeep doing 50 mph on Baja washboard roads had to turn it off, it made it real squirelly.