It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moab Trip - With Pictures
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, My son and I are gettin all our gear together and should be on our way Thursday afternoon. We have 4 jeeps in the group, I'm the lone KJ, all the others are Wranglers. We are meeting the rest of the group in Colorado on Sunday morning, so we are meandering across Iowa and Nebraska stopping to see some family on the way.

Plan to head down the Hole-In-The-Rock trail on Monday, entering from the SE side, camping about 2/3 down the trail. Head out of there Wednesday afternoon. Thursday, Friday and Saturday we are hoping to hit two trails a day. plan is for Fins and Things, Kane Creek, Hell's Revenge , Gold Bar Rim, Elephant Hill and Moab Rim, but the list will probably change between now and then.

I'm going to try to keep a log and post pictures when I find network access along the way. If I miss a day, don't worry, I'll be sure to post the whole trip report when I'm back.

My son is off to the Navy in early June so this is our last bash together for a while. Looking forward to showing him the mountains of Colorado and the beautiful desert in southeast Utah.

Cheers

Last edited by bugnout on Thu May 01, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mind if I crash your party? I'm thinking maybe I'll take that Friday off (April 25, right?) and hit the trails on Friday and Saturday.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:08 pm 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

I envy you Troy
jebus.... just a couple hrs driving and enjoying MOAB?
Darn....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

pm'd ya,

Troysterr wrote:
Mind if I crash your party? I'm thinking maybe I'll take that Friday off (April 25, right?) and hit the trails on Friday and Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

Have fun Scott...I'm guessing the weather is perfect out there...

Be safe and snap alot of pics!

-Evan

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK first report ....... I didn't leave Thursday.:D

Decided I had time to do one more project on the KJ, I installed the Cummins lift pump in my fuel tank. Had to drop the hitch, skid and fuel tank. Took me most of the day, but got it done in time to take the wife out for dinner. CRD starts like a dream now. I was having issues with hard starts due to air in the lines.

Soooo. My son and I leave first thing in the morning. Should be in Omaha tomorrow night. Loveland on Saturday at my buddies house and leave for Moab first thing Sunday Morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Woke up to a report of an earth quake, I slept right through it so it must not have been a big deal.

Today We drove Chicago to Kearney Nebraska, Home of the Great Platte River Road Archway. We did about 600 miles. Most of the way was in the rain. Stopped in Wahoo Nebraska just outside of Omaha to introduce my son to his ancestors. We have three generations starting with my great grandfather buried in the Marietta church cemetery. He was interested to see the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) emblems on his GGG gpa and GGGG gpa's graves. Both served in the same Missouri cavalry unit and survived the war. This was one of my main goals of this last road trip with my son before he heads out to basic in June.

I love the 75 mph speed limits in Nebraska. Tomorrow its off to Loveland CO about 5 hours away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yesterday was Uneventful, 5 hours to Loveland, enjoyed fish tacos, and a good microbrew Stout at my buddies house.

Its 6.07am and we are off to Colorado Springs to pick up the rest of the party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Took the scenic route.

Loveland to Colorado Springs on 25 to pick up one more member of the crew. Then we ran by Garden of the Gods (didn't stop, just went through), up US 24 through Woodland Park. West to 291, south to 50 then up across Monarch Pass and across Blue Mesa to Montrose.

From Montrose, took US 550 South to County 62 to CO 145 then CO 141 to US 491 into Monticello UT. Finally turning south on US 191 to Blanding. Picked up the 4th member of party here. 3 Wranglers and a Liberty.

Beautiful country, lots of variety, mountain passes and high mesa prairies, the skies are clear and blue. Still lots of snow on the ground in the mountains, the wind is a little gusty. All in All a very good day.

Enjoying a Black Jack Porter and off to dinner in 1/2 hour. We hit the Hole-In-The-Rock trail about 9:00am tomorrow. Should be making camp about 3:00pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bugnout wrote:
We hit the Hole-In-The-Rock trail about 9:00am tomorrow. Should be making camp about 3:00pm.

I hear this one's a great trail. I'd love to see it in person. Be sure to take (and post) a lot of pictures.

L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, On the way home tonight, thought I'd post a quick update.

Hole in the Rock was great, we entered using the traditional route just past the airport. There is a new route and by next year, probably won't be able to get in the traditional way. Just west of first camping area, the entire valley is being washed out, there is only a small section of valley floor where you turn to go up the blasted out road up to the mesa. The new route up the side of the valley is almost as interesting and off camber as the old way.

Day two, to the end of the trail, Lots of great obstacles including the chute and some great slick rock area's to test the new lockers. We got to the end of the trail quite early so we explored one of the side trails up on gray mesa. Tried to get to the lake, but ran out of time before we could get there and turned back. The side trail was very scenic and worth the trip. Drove out the next day and up to Moab.

Day 4, We ran Hell's Revenge and Fin's and Things. Bronco Safari was going on so we worked on doing trails they were not running. I got talked into doing the Hell's gate obstacle. Let my son drive most of the Fin's and Things trail.

Day 5, We ran Kane Creek and Moab Rim. Kane creek was pretty tame, but Moab Rim made up for it. I didn't get the KJ all the way up. Made it through Devil's Crack, made two attempts at the Z turn shelf's, but just couldn't get the line. Since it was Friday night, there was a traffic jam behind me waiting to get by so I parked the KJ and rode the rest of the trail in my buddy's YJ. On the way down, I banged up my rear bumper as I negotiated Devil's Crack, but I'm not worried, have a new bumper waiting in Colorado Springs. Ate dinner at Moab Brewery, Afterwards we stood on the street and watched the classic cars parade by. (Hot Rod show was this weekend)

Day 6, We headed south to Canyonlands National Park and ran Elephant Hill. This was an interesting trail, not too difficult. The park actually maintains this trail and you can see evidence of asphalt and concrete used to make the trail rating a little easier. Ate at McStiffs, afterwards watched the hot rods drive by.

Day 7 Got up early and headed east. Had an appointment at RockLizards to get my new rear bumper installed. Took about 2 1/2 hours. Left about 4:30 and got as far as Kearny NE.

As soon as I get a chance I'll post the pictures. I've got about 600 email's in my work inbox so It might not be until the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The cliff dwelling on the way into the trail

Last edited by bugnout on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The way in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

More of the way in

Our Camp
Day 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

More Day 2

Last edited by bugnout on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is the washout area. That small piece of sandy area at the bottom is undercut and probably will be at the bottom of the valley by the end of the year. Couple of good rains and it will be impassable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like some awesome wheeling.

L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:30 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

THANKS for sharing the pictures.
Love that trailer with the RTT on it , someday I want one like that, nice set up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is the Bowl at the top of the Chute, A couple of ways in and out, I was talked into a pretty steep line.
Heading down the Chute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:54 pm 

and the pucker factor from 1 to 10 was ????? :lol: :lol: :lol: