It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Selec-Trac II (MP 3022) and CommandTrac II (MP 1522)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Select-Trac® II is the MP3022 two-speed, on-demand, active four-wheel drive transfer case that provides optimum traction for a wide range of conditions, while maximizing driver convenience. When operating in 4WD Auto mode, this sophisticated system anticipates and prevents slip by redirecting torque as necessary, up to 100 percent to either the front or rear axle if needed.

For added traction capability when traversing steep grades, rough terrain or extremely poor traction surfaces, the transfer case includes a 4WD Low mode. This second speed gear multiplies engine torque 2.72 times and locks the clutch pack for maximum traction.

Electric shifting between 4WD AUTO and 4WD Low is effected with a console-mounted switch. A pushpin button is used to shift to Neutral mode.

The MP3022 transfer case provides the following benefits:

Active, on-demand four-wheel drive requires no driver input.
Instantly anticipates slip and preemptively redirects torque as needed.
Vehicle stability under all conditions because torque is constantly being transferred.
4WD Low operation mode provides an advantage over vehicles equipped with a single-speed all-wheel drive transfer case.
Electric shifting between 4WD Auto and 4WD Low provides smooth operation and improved NVH control compared to systems with mechanical linkage.
Enhanced traction and stability provided by the Traction Control and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) working in tandem with four-wheel-drive.
A robust design and sealing for reliability.
Maintenance-free.
A neutral mode permits flat towing.
OPERATING RANGES
Transfer case operating ranges are:

Operating positions: 2WD - 4WD Auto - N - 4WD Low.
2WD = 2 wheel drive.
4WD Auto = Electronically controlled wet clutch for torque biasing.
N = Transfer case neutral for 4-wheel flat recreational towing.
4WD Low = Low range (2.72:1) part time mode.
The 4WD Low range is for off road use only. It is not for use on hard surface roads unless the road surface is wet, slippery, or covered by ice and snow.

The low range reduction gear system is operative in 4WD Low range only. This range is for extra pulling power in off road situations. Low range reduction ratio is 2.72:1.

Command Trac® II with the new MP1522 two-speed, part-time four-wheel drive transfer case is the entry level four-wheel drive system. Functionally, the system performs the same way as other two-speed, part-time transfer cases. The most significant difference is electric shift, engaged with a console-mounted switch.

Command Trac® II is a part-time four-wheel drive system — 2WD High is the usual driving mode, with the front axle spinning freely and a power directed to the road rear wheels. Selecting 4WD High Lock, via the console-mounted switch, locks the front and rear driveshafts together; the two then rotate at the same and provide a 50 front / 50 rear torque split. It is for use only on slippery or loose surfaces, such as snow or dirt. Driving on dry roads can result in driveline binding, resulting in undesirable driving dynamics and potential vehicle damage. It can be engaged at speeds under 55 MPH. A Neutral mode permits towing without having to disconnect the drive shafts. A pushpin button is provided to shift the transfer case into Neutral. For severe off-road situations, 4WD Low can be engaged at speeds of 2-3 MPH. The front and rear drive shafts are locked together, and a second gear set multiplies torque by 2.72:1, providing traditional Jeep capability.

The MP1522 transfer case provides the following benefits:

Electric shift operation, with a console-mounted switch that replaces the shift lever typical of systems with mechanical linkage.
Command Trac® II with smooth operation and improved NVH control compared to systems with mechanical linkage.
Traditional 2WD, 4WD Lock, Neutral and 4WD Low operation modes, and shift-on-the-fly capability.
4WD Low operation mode provides an advantage over vehicles equipped with a single-speed all-wheel drive transfer case.
Enhanced traction and stability provided by the Traction Control and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) working in tandem with four-wheel drive, including Hill Start Assist, Hill Descent Control and Trailer Sway Control.
Maintenance-free.

OPERATING RANGES
Transfer case operating ranges are:

Operating positions: 2WD - 4WD LOCK- N - 4WD LOW.
2WD - 2 Wheel Drive.
4WD LOCK- 4 High Part Time.
N - Transfer case neutral for 4-wheel flat recreational towing .
4WD LOW- Low range (2.72:1) part time mode

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:17 am 
LOST Addict

Thank you for the parts break down...Is 38 a belt on the MP1522 tcase?? also i would like to add the in order to engaged 4lo, you must be at a dead stop, other wise it wont engage. of for some reason it does, a loud thunk will occur..

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The new Selec-Trac II has no Part-Time 4WD Hi like the Selec-Trac on the KJs. I do think the AWD (Full-Time) system is more advanced tho.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:17 am 
LOST Member

I have to say, there's something fulfilling about pulling that lever and feeling it engage into 4wd - not that I don't like pushing bottons :P but I would have bought a Rav or alike.

L.O.S.T. Member# 173501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:28 pm 
This member has been Banned

I hope that they are better than the electronic shift T-cases that came on the Fords
I had a ford ranger with a little knob that you would turn for 4wd and it almost never worked for 4wd low
had to get it just right ,very picky
some one told me it was because of the 5 speed but I dont think that was it
the darn thing would jump from 4lo to 4hi with out any warning
loads of power to stalling truck
I know that my TJ and KJ will not do that ,they may jump to neutral but I can live with that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm 
LOST Addict

so far, i haven't had a problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:16 am 
LOST Member

who makes the new t-cases? mp i never heard of em? mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:59 pm 
LOST Member

k99jk99j wrote:
who makes the new t-cases? mp i never heard of em? mike

It's made by Magna International. They make lots of parts for the automotive industry, not just for Jeep.

http://www.magna.com/magna/en/products/ ... fault.aspx

Tow Package
Factory Skid Plates
[url=http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/828427318.png[/img[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:10 pm 
LOST Member

interesting! i never heard of them. i hope they can live up to the reputation of new process! mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:20 pm 
LOST Addict

k99jk99j wrote:
interesting! i never heard of them. i hope they can live up to the reputation of new process! mike

mine hasn't broken yet..and i think i have put it through some test :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Diggerfreek wrote:
k99jk99j wrote:

Not yet my young grasshopper :lol: :lol: !

Post subject: What A Coinsidence
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:02 am 
LOST Addict

I was just watching this weeks version of Autoweek and they reported on both the New KK Liberty but also the Volkwagon Touareg another Car/Suv. After the link to Magna they make the Transfer Case for both. :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:42 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Diggerfreek wrote:
k99jk99j wrote:

Not yet my young grasshopper :lol: :lol: !

key word was yet!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject: So which one is better?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:13 am 
LOST Junkie

So looking to get a 2008 liberty so what are the advantages of getting one or the other? Looking to to do a 3.5" lift and get nice meater tires. Why do the dealers don't have any select-tracs?

Lifted by JEEPIN BY AL - Get yours by following my link

Post subject: ANYONE
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:50 am 
LOST Junkie

so how do u like ur system? and which one do u have? can u keep up with the other system offroad????

Lifted by JEEPIN BY AL - Get yours by following my link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Take this FWIW (and note I have a manual trans*):

After dealing with trying to figure out how to turn the electronics and stupid "smart" features OFF in order to drive in mud and deeeeep snow there's no way I would want an even stupider "smarter" system.

IIRC there's a thread here that the ST's are not on lots b/c there was a production hold while they figured something out with the software system. More stupid "smart" stuff it sounds like.

*man trans = no ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you plan on using your Libby off-road, get Command Trac. Period. Selec-Trac is more for improved on-road traction on wet or snowy surfaces.. So if you're going to use your Jeep OFF-ROAD and you will be RELYING on 4x4 to get you through, pick Command Trac.

MyGig
Command Trac II 4x4
Tires
No Mods (yet)

Last edited by kkMonterey on Fri May 16, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:25 pm 
LOST Member

kkMonterey wrote:
If you plan on using your Libby off-road, get Command Trac. Period. Selec-Trac is more for improved on-road traction on wet or snowy surfaces.. The right and left wheels are not locked together like they are with Command Trac. You'll notice this if you try making a sharp turn on pavement in 4hi or 4lo with Command Trac. You will experience "binding" in the driveline. Basically, with the right and left wheels locked together in the front, when you turn, the outer tire must travel a further distance vis-a-vis the inside tire. Since they are locked, this is a problem and it will really hurt your powertrain!! This is where Selec-Trac has the advantage. It will allow slippage between the wheels so you may drive how you like on pavement (hence the term "Full Time" or AWD). I know some people who don't consider this to be a 4x4 mode, but a 4x3 because not all 4 wheels get equal power...

Anyway, that's a VERY basic breakdown. The choice is very clear though - if you're going to use your Jeep OFF-ROAD and you will be RELYING on 4x4 to get you through, pick Command Trac. With Selec-Trac, when you have 1 tire on the ground and 1 up in the air, the one on the ground won't even get power, while the one in the air just spins... Also, Selec-Trac was on Restriction earlier this year, so that's a bit scary. Restriction means production is temporarily suspended..

Dude,

As far as I know, the only thing that "locks" on the Command Trac is the center differential. The front differential doesn't lock, nor does the rear. To get this affect, you would need Lockers like those sold from ARB, or those that come equipped on the Wrangler. That is how you lock the left and right wheels, not through engaging 4WD on your Command Trac.

Why do you think people invest in limited-slip differentials and locking differentials?

The binding you refer to is happens because the front and rear wheels turn at the same rate (50-50 lock). This problem is pronounced when you make a turn. If you had locking differentials engaged on the front and rear, it would be even more pronounced.

Last edited by unclejjg on Fri May 16, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Agreed, the binding that causes jumping is not between right and left wheels (open diffs front and rear) but rather between front and rear drivelines at the t-case (it is locked on C-Ts always sending power to the front and the rear).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I knew I didn't have it correct, but I also knew it would be quicker and more accurate to be corrected here vs. looking it all up myself. Heh..

The point remains the same.. Front-Rear 50/50 is still much better for off-roading than the Selec-Trac

MyGig
Command Trac II 4x4
Tires
No Mods (yet)