It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I see plenty of roof racks on the jeeps and about 1/2 of them are carring tires up there
now i understand if it is a spare spare tire but to remove the one off the rear and place it on the roof
does this make any sense ??? Now i know if your are doing hardcore climbing then the departure angle is better (i guess)
than with a tire but then you should have a aftermarket bumper......

So again if the tire is on the top there has got to be more of a wind break ......
Not to mention offroading the tire adds more weight higher on the jeep ...that cant be good ...higher center of gravity and all

So besides the "cool" factor why put the tire on the roof rack at all ?? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Really this is a real question ....Inquiring minds want to know

as always thanks for the help and time from all who respond

{Electric Stuttertone Emergency Horn}
strobe leds front and rear
2 way VHF radio (kenwood)
westin brush guard+ Hella 500's w/ 100w 3000k bulbs
back seat removed and shelf added
rolled and totaled dec 4 2010..(drunk driver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 am 
LOST Addict

Honestly I think the only reasons would be because you like the look, because you need it up there to hep with the angle while on trails and some really heavy tire and wheel combos can strain the rear door quite a bit. I think 2006 KJ keeps his on his roof when off road, and back on the rear when on road. He runs a stock rear bumper and he has needed the extra clearance that mounting the spare on the roof gives. I personally haven't run into the tire hanging me up yet, maybe if I do I'll fab up a mount for my roof rack, but until then it is staying on the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:27 am 

I've three reasons...
1. Increased departure angle.
2. Weight of the tire. The stock tire carrier is only rated to 50 pounds I believe. My rear door is already buckled from the weight of my 32.
3. 8) factor

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I found one time on the trail where having the tire on the roof was a draw back. There was a tree down across the trail, actually the top half. Everyone made it under just fine. I was pulling up the rear of a line of Jeeps. I made it but it was about 1 inch forward at a time with a bunch of guys spotting for me from all different directions. That tree just cleared by 1/2 an inch.

Now, the tire was up there for 2 reasons: #1. the cool factor (trail only) and #2. I didn't want the weight on the door when on ruff terrain. The bouncing weight I guess you could call it.

I have also carried 2 water cans and a can of gas up there. The water could have been put inside but not the gas! :lol:

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I tried carrying one on the roof for a while but after having to wrestle it on and off the rack on the side of a trail I quickly realized that the cool factor was overrated. Of course my goal on my Jeep now is to keep as much weight down low as possible. No more crap on my roof while on the trail.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

i only use the rack to get to the camp sit or trail...everything up top comes down...as far as a spare...i keep mine in the back, inside when off roading...it is there in case i need it and my departure angle...who need the wow factor when you drive a liberty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:10 pm 
LOST Addict

JJsKJ wrote:
I tried carrying one on the roof for a while but after having to wrestle it on and off the rack on the side of a trail I quickly realized that the cool factor was overrated. Of course my goal on my Jeep now is to keep as much weight down low as possible. No more crap on my roof while on the trail.

I do recall you leaving your rear "skidmark" crossing a crack or two in Moab :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:39 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

REAR SKIDMARK.......CRACK......... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

I left more than a rear skid mark crossing the Golden Crack. Tire got hung up by no more than the treads. When I pulled forward- CRUNCH. The result was a crushed tailgate. Needless to say the other guys quickly pulled the tires off the tailgate and tossed them over the crack.

Dont have much choice now but to keep tire up top for off road trips. Even a used new tail gate is $700+ and RL isn't doing any building right now. :(

later, mike

edit: thanks Carlos for the pic from FitS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Bummer about the tailgate. I am thinking I will keep my spare inside, strapped down as long as my cargo area is free from stuff and I am not carrying any passengers while off roading. If I have a bunch of gear and what not, I might consider doing the rack mount. It is just a pain to get it up there and down too. Plus I just took off my roof rack because I get better mpgs without it mounted. I need to figure a better quick release way of mounting it and then maybe I can get to the roof mounted tire. What I really want to do is figure out how to mount my fuel cans, axe, shovel and jack to a RL roof rack. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

incubus mike wrote:
Bummer about the tailgate. I am thinking I will keep my spare inside, strapped down as long as my cargo area is free from stuff and I am not carrying any passengers while off roading. If I have a bunch of gear and what not, I might consider doing the rack mount. It is just a pain to get it up there and down too. Plus I just took off my roof rack because I get better mpgs without it mounted. I need to figure a better quick release way of mounting it and then maybe I can get to the roof mounted tire. What I really want to do is figure out how to mount my fuel cans, axe, shovel and jack to a RL roof rack. 8)

Somewhere in my cyber travels I saw a mount for gas cans that allows mounting in any direction except upside down. I'll try to figure out where it was and post it in the General Section.