It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hillbilly way to mount a magnetic CB antenna
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:15 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Have had several request to see how I mount my CB antenna on the spare tire so here we go

I had it on top but parking garages and my own garage kept knocking it off, so one evening came up with this for a short time fix, a year and a half later it still is there, why fix something that is not broken

Remove the spare tire holder, took a piece of angle ( comes with all the holes in it, yes it has a name but can't think of it, mount it behind the carrier bracket.

next I took some flat metal stock I had drilled one hole in the end of it and bent it at the end so I could bolt it to the piece that I just installed. Then remounted the tire and bent the piece up over the tire so it laid flat on top of the tire.

The mag mount attaches to the flat stock piece and never comes loose at all, clears the window when opening, touches a small amount but no big deal.
Ran the wires behind the tire mount under the door, behind the plastic cover inside over towards the hinge, and then inside the cabin area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

nice simple mod. The angle with the holes in it is shelving bracket/angle. Usually can find it by the shelving or where the bulk steel/all thread/angle is at in HD or Lowes.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:11 pm 

TAHOE wrote:
nice simple mod. The angle with the holes in it is shelving bracket/angle. Usually can find it by the shelving or where the bulk steel/all thread/angle is at in HD or Lowes.

Thanks I knew it had a name , bought mine at a Sears that was closing down got all different widths, sizes etc flat metal, rods , bars, angle, shelving brackets I dont know what all for 25 bucks all brand new, had to make five trips to carry it all out to the Jeep, all brand new stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:40 am 
LOST Junkie

Looks good Tom. One question (assuming you don't have issues removing the spare tire with the bracket so close to the top of the tire), do you have kink issues running the coax under the door like that?

I like this idea, but I'm thinking I will use / modify a bracket such as yellocoyote's similar to your basic mounting design only because I don't want a magnetic mount antenna.