It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MPG and Vacuum Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

I was watching Horsepower TV and they used a vacuum gauge, like this one to monitor their fuel economy. They said to keep it in the green area on the gauge for best fuel economy.

What does everyone this of this? Where would you install it on the Liberty?

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:36 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I had a 62 Chevy with 3 speed and over drive that had one and as long as you kept it in the green area you did get a lot better mileage, it does help a lot.
I have fabbed up a switch/ gauge mount (out of cardboard for now, still working on it :( ) that mounts above the center air / heat outlets so this may be a great place to put it :roll:
Not sure where you could hook in on the Liberty though, have to look this evening :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:27 pm 
LOST Addict

I was thinking you could tap into the vacuum hose that goes between the brake booster to the throttle body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:35 pm 

jeepkj02 wrote:
I was thinking you could tap into the vacuum hose that goes between the brake booster to the throttle body.

yep think it would work there. In the OLD days you could just grab a port on the side of the carb, but anymore :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:22 pm 
LOST Member

For about $150 you can get a scangauge 2 that will read out about anything your obd2 cpu plug on KJ puts out . h20 temp,intake manifold air temp instantanious MPG has trip remaining fuel etc. I used mine this summer to drive to Gunnison Co. and it helped to stay in a good speed range for conditions while towing my popup.
You could see a jump in MPG when you drafted Semi's even quite far back.
http://www.scangauge.com/

3 Jeeps owned
Favorite Destination Gunnison Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:55 pm 

XC204 wrote:
For about $150 you can get a scangauge 2 that will read out about anything your obd2 cpu plug on KJ puts out . h20 temp,intake manifold air temp instantanious MPG has trip remaining fuel etc. I used mine this summer to drive to Gunnison Co. and it helped to stay in a good speed range for conditions while towing my popup.

I like the Scan Guage II but I think they are too high tech for me :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so what was the best speed pulling the popup?

I just bought a used GPS three weeks ago, not sure if I am ready for another high tech toy, finally got all the buttons fiqured out for the FM radio last week :wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:41 pm 
LOST Member

About what you would expect 60-65 which made me unpopular sometimes. But as for the scangauge 2 its about the simplest electronic device I have ever bought
I always have to find the manual but not with this. Wish it had trans temp.

3 Jeeps owned
Favorite Destination Gunnison Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:58 pm 
LOST Addict

XC204 wrote:

I was thinking about buying a SGII, but I think it a bit expensive. I can get a MPG reading by hand and vac gauge is pretty cheap.

Post subject: vacuum gauge addendum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

have always been a advocator of vacuum gauges, just never always got around to putting one in. Have an 05 Renegage w/all the whistles & have done most of the easy mods for mpg. Next up for this summer is the instrumentation thing, including this. Problem is lack of spade. Am going w/the Lotek pod, oil pressure & temp gauges there, wiring thru a 2 position switch to go to 2 sources w/each gauge. Pressure to engine oil & maybe trans oil, temp same. Got dual sensors for both. Since I need a 3rd location, I decided on a vacuum gauge in a 2 1/16" cup via adhesive pad on the dash in the corner below the pod to the left of the speedo/tach hump.
After this I'll use an EVIC for OD/ID temps, compass, etc., then maybe a Scangauge for whatever else is left (not much). I have worked in engineering w/data acquisition for 30 yrs & its' almost an obsession w/data. Try Egauge.com, the prices, selection & service are great.
I was a GM 4 wheeler for 35 yrs, always frustrated w/difficulty& expense of suspension, etc., mods. My better half got a KJ due to reliability/cost compared to her 03 Saab & after driving the KJ I was hooked! Jeeps were a major change for me, I never regretted it & wish GM luck, but wouldn't go back on a bet. My 05 Renegage is the most fun in the snow I ever had.