It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:50 am 
LOST Member

i weld for the navy and any questions about welding i would gladly answer. i think stick is the hardest as it is a pain to weld vertical. vertical with tig is cake. anybody can mig as long as it is setup right. brazing can be difficult as alot of factors can make a seemingly good looking braze a very bad one and brazing dissimilar metals like carbon steel to nickel copper is fairly difficult but i just tig it with some grade 3 filler material instead of using the oxy-actyl. the best way to get a good bead is to get comfy cause if you're not bad things happen.

Yellow Top Optima Battery
RE XXX 12 subwoofer in 2.5 cubic ft slot vented box tuned to 32 hz
Earthquake PHD5000w amp
Earthquake 2 channel amp
MTX 6001 axe seperates 6 1/2 front speakers with 1" soft dome tweeters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have not made anything yet, but I'm starting a list. Stick is definitely different, but I'm getting the hang of it. took me all night, but the last two welds I did were very good. nice to end on a high note, but I'm itchin to get back in the shop and practice.

I'm going to wire the garage for 220 in the next couple of weeks. Haven't bought a welder yet, thought I'd wait until the spring after I've gotten some experience with MIG and TIG. Love to get an inverter type welder, but will probably settle for a cheaper analog power source that can do stick and MIG. I've been looking on ebay and craigslist for a good used victor torch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did about a year at my local votech. $300 per semester (gi bill paid me $900 a month). Had to start with oxy/fuel cutting, then 7024 stick. did just a but of 6010 stick, then moved to TIG. Tig isn't as hard as many think at first, but it does require understanding what you're doing with the heat. I personally think running 6010, or 6013 is much more challenging.
I'm a mechanic at a factory, and welding/fab is needed. MIG is designed for anyone to get about 30 min of training and go. Tig is for prototype or delicate, and stick is for heavy strength.

BTW- I spent a few years at Guam in the Navy's employ...I loved it there

Diver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:20 pm 
LOST Member

i've been here 2 years and it kinda grows on ya. the thing i hate most is the heat. it's a never ending cycle of hot sticky weather. it's like then it rains and you want to keep it raining cause if the sun comes out the humidity is going to be through the roof. we're not allowed to run 60 series rod and i really don't like to either cause it just doesn't leave a good looking bead. 7018 M is my rod of choice and tig is for heavy duty too. heh just the other day my buddy welded a stantion type deal and he went to go put it up to keep our tarp up to keep the sun off of us but it ended up snapping (due to lack of fusion, running cold, perosity, and just plain bad welding) and knocked our other guy on the head. we ended up just laughing at him cause he still wanted to weld it together and make it hold but eventually had him take it down to the shop and throw it in the scrap bin. you can never run too hot...

Earthquake PHD5000w amp
Earthquake 2 channel amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:55 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

Frostednutz wrote:
i weld for the navy and any questions about welding i would gladly answer. i think stick is the hardest as it is a pain to weld vertical. vertical with tig is cake. anybody can mig as long as it is setup right. brazing can be difficult as alot of factors can make a seemingly good looking braze a very bad one and brazing dissimilar metals like carbon steel to nickel copper is fairly difficult but i just tig it with some grade 3 filler material instead of using the oxy-actyl. the best way to get a good bead is to get comfy cause if you're not bad things happen.

What can you tell me about flux core wire feed welders? I used to be a steel fitter in a previous life so I have worked with stick arc, and MIG. I would like an inexpensive welder but I don't really know anything about these things.

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:21 pm 
LOST Member

unfortunatly we do not use flux cord in the navy and i have not had any experience with it. i've seen some flux cord welds on my buddies eagle talon and it lasted for about 3 days before it broke also he welded stainless to carbon steel so it was going to fail eventually. tig will result in the best looking welds and it's easier to bridge gaps and stuff.

Earthquake PHD5000w amp
Earthquake 2 channel amp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I spent some time in Guam myself about 20 years ago. I know what you mean about hot. Was a crew member on a EC-135 and when they closed the doors it became a steam bath. All we could do was sit as still as possible and sweat until we got off the ground and got some cooling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:27 am 
LOST Newbie

I was an airdale. First at NAS Agana, then Anderson. working cramped up in the back of an S-3 at the end of the line was not pleasant.

Flux core has some advantages. It can be used in areas that MIG is not suitable for. It can run hot and weld dirty (galvanized, rusty, etc) same as 6010, or 6013 rod does.
It also runs like stick in that there is slag, and is easyier to use outside. You can run low hydrogen (like 7018) without needing to heat the electrode.
The ironworkers are moving over to flux core because of time. no rod changes, rod ovens.

My personal fav rod is 7014. fast easy, easy to slag, looks good. but it isn't structural.

For your tarp support, 6010 would have done a good job (its a stone bit** so run tho).

Diver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:43 am 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

Thanks for the clarification on the flux core diver. 7014 was always my favorite general use rod too. It's what my dad taught me with. It sounds like flux core has its place for general tacking and non-structural welding. It would probably suit my needs most of the time. I'm not good enough to trust my welds to anything that will carry much load anyway. I take anything like that to a shop and let the pros handle it.

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust