It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rockies rebuilding
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:20 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

At this point, LOST Rockies is on life support. Due to this, elections were cancelled because there were only 4/5 individuals participating in nominations and those nominated were the same as the last few years.
We also do not have many current (paid) members, correct me if wrong Dave.
For this reason we will keep the officers as follows:
Pres & VP: USAFCOP/TJKJ2002 (Joint deal)
Events: RockLizard
Treasurer & Secretary: Tokyojoe (Hope you don't mind, but Bylaws state these jobs can be joined)
Conservation Chair: KWAV8R

I know winter is upon us, and Spring/Summer is our busy time for the club, but we need to get members in. To do this, we need to figure out what we can offer as a group that others can't or if others do, how we are a better fit for the individual. Anyone with ideas please state them. Dieselenthusiast, I know you really want to be active, I do too, and Durangotang (heading up the Ourray excursion) and I thank both of you. Unfortunately, the economy I think is part of our problem, as I know it has affected my wheeling/maintenance habits for the Jeep, and many I have tried to recruit into the club locally have stated similar reasons for not joining.
So, we need ideas and plans. Many are busy with 2 jobs and no time just to get by, so we need to find a way to build friendships and advertise as an escape method to relax. So long story short, we need to revitalize this club, and I do not know how to do it, so help me help you, this is YOUR club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:03 am 
I live here
I live here

In 2007, a lot of trail rides were offered for stock and for more aggressive vehicles (each month offered one for stock and one for the aggressives). In 2008, gas prices skyrocketing, people deployed, some vehicles breaking down, and the club fell apart. I was gone or involved with my military duties, and retirement most of the Summer/Fall also.

Ideas:

1. Promote non-KJ's to visit LOST Forum and not focus on the KJ.
2. Spread the trail events around more evenly. What I mean by this is locations. Similar to #4 below. A lot of trails in Colorado to try.
3. Get a LOST Rockies-Colorado website and update it on a regular basis with trail rides, events, etc.
4. Spread meetings around. Rotate them, Coloroado Springs, Denver Metro, Boulder. Unless we got a lot from up in the mountain region, I can't see offering any way out there except during a trail run. This might help raise and keep the interest up this way and to the North.
5. Stop deploying :lol:
6. Get those darn business cards completed (We never decided on an official look after the first couple designs shown).
7. Get with some local Jeep Dealers to see if they will let us do a mini show/display of our vehicles as promo for their Jeeps. A BBQ/tailgate on a Saturday at their dealership. Hand out our business cards and website links. We would have to have a number of our club members involved, not just one or two. I would say a minimum of four vehicles and they are cleaned up inside and out.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:13 am 
LOST Member

How about a once a month tailgater at a ski area. Keep people in touch and interested thru the winter months.

265/75/16 GreenDiamond Icelander M/T
ASA wheels
ARB front bumper
Off Road Package
Tow Package
Custom Interior Rack
LoadWarrior basket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:10 pm 

Tokyojoe wrote:
In 2007, a lot of trail rides were offered for stock and for more aggressive vehicles (each month offered one for stock and one for the aggressives). In 2008, gas prices skyrocketing, people deployed, some vehicles breaking down, and the club fell apart. I was gone or involved with my military duties, and retirement most of the Summer/Fall also.

Ideas:

1. Promote non-KJ's to visit LOST Forum and not focus on the KJ.
2. Spread the trail events around more evenly. What I mean by this is locations. Similar to #4 below. A lot of trails in Colorado to try.
3. Get a LOST Rockies-Colorado website and update it on a regular basis with trail rides, events, etc.
4. Spread meetings around. Rotate them, Coloroado Springs, Denver Metro, Boulder. Unless we got a lot from up in the mountain region, I can't see offering any way out there except during a trail run. This might help raise and keep the interest up this way and to the North.
5. Stop deploying :lol:
6. Get those darn business cards completed (We never decided on an official look after the first couple designs shown).
7. Get with some local Jeep Dealers to see if they will let us do a mini show/display of our vehicles as promo for their Jeeps. A BBQ/tailgate on a Saturday at their dealership. Hand out our business cards and website links. We would have to have a number of our club members involved, not just one or two. I would say a minimum of four vehicles and they are cleaned up inside and out.

Well number 5 is good for me for 4 years due to new job...

Now since the question was raised, All Dues pay for prizes to donate at the LOST MOAB (this year Ourray) runs. Yes the by-laws state regular meetings. It also states the meetings can be tied to trail runs, which is what we did with our stock friendly runs each month, and meetings were every other month during the winter as Meet n greats. As for what happened to stop meetings, we had the same 5 people show up everytime, so we used the forum to discuss items of interest.
If anyone who seriously would like to support the club not just words and statements like "I would do this" and wish to commit, by paying dues as required(if we had dues, we could afford to do more than just pay for raffle prizes). Please PM me your email address, and I will send a copy of the by-laws to anyone. If you think I pulled them out of my rear, here is a hint, these were written by many and used parts from other clubs who helped us get started.

The ideas by powder and Tokyo are a good start! Anyone want to start committees to see about the logistics and feasibility of any particular ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:56 pm 
LOST Addict

When I get out there by summer 2009, you can count on my full support as it is. My proximity to the Springs makes it difficult to attend a weekday meeting, but you can count on me to attend any official club rides on the weekends. I really don't have any advice since technically, I was an invited guest on your rides in 07 so I don't know the mechanics of the club. I would have no problems paying dues even though I understand my choice to live in UT makes me not eligible to hold an office; I'd just like to help especially since you guys were so nice to me the civilian flat-lander off-road noob I am.

My experience was obviously different than Dawson's and the one ride I did go on with him, I didn't notice anything wrong, it seemed like everyone was having fun (except that brief moment when I thought Ted's dog was going to run off a cliff). I don't remember the trail, but it was very high, not too difficult and there was ice up there in the summer.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sarah and I made two runs in 2007 with Lost Rockies and signed up then. Obviously grad school has delayed our lack of participation this past wheeling season. I will never be a hardcore wheeler, rather more of an outdoor enthusiast that uses 4X4 to get me where I want to go. It’s not so much that the CLUB needs me, but I need the club to learn more about JEEPS and their abilities off-road. My overall experience with the club has been positive. We consider several of you guys good friends. Obviously the Club could be much more organized, but that’s not a reflection of the officers as much as it is a reflection of the dedicated time that we have to offer in our already busy lives.

Here are my suggestions in addition to those mentioned above:

1. Before and after each wheeling season, the club could meet to perform a rig check.
Objective: To maintain a safe rig and protect our investment by assessing the rig for leaks, damage, and perform general maintenance. Kind of like a wrench party. :D Checking and tightening suspension parts, ball joints, brakes, and other random parts.

FYI - I sent Green Renegade “Chase” a PM the other day just to check up with him. He’s now living in Castle Rock and busy with his new job. He’s hoping to hook back up with the club again once his life settles down. Chase will be another “active” club member perhaps this next wheeling season.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:04 am 
LOST Addict

I'm down to lend my support from my side of the divide... not sure what I can do though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:11 am 
LOST Member

I'd like to get involved. Sometimes it seems like I'm in another world, living in the mtns but I'm only an hour and change away from Denver and pretty close to some good wheeling. What can I do? What does membership involve? Really, I'm a pretty nice guy :lol:

265/75/16 GreenDiamond Icelander M/T
ASA wheels
ARB front bumper
Off Road Package
Tow Package
Custom Interior Rack
LoadWarrior basket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll do what I can whenever I can. Been attending the MHJC meetings for the past month and went on a run with patrol #2 to Red Elephant Hill/Mill Creek/Bill More lake - great time/run - kept up with the 'big' boys. Their meeting place is literally a mile from my house.

However, I would still like to get together with the ole' group - we had good times.

I would be willing to host a meeting and/or wrench-a-thon at my house some time too.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:22 pm 

MHJC is pretty big and successful. John, have you seen anything they do that may help us? This would be great intel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

USAFCOP wrote:
MHJC is pretty big and successful. John, have you seen anything they do that may help us? This would be great intel.
Ted, They are in the low 100's of members but only 40-50 show up for any given meeting at best. Many of their patrols are in need of new members and are very inactive because of it. Partol #2 seems to be the most regularly active as they have wheeling trips several times a month just about every month of the year. They seem to be suffering in numbers of members as well...they had quite a few at one time from what I understand.

MHJC

I think what they offer that gives the most draw is that they are one of the first serious 4-wheeling clubs in the country with a history dating back to the 1950's. There are guys whe have been in the club for 40 years! It is definitely and older club (age of members) in general but there are a newer group of people in the 30-40 age range as well. They are quite active with the US Forest Service in that each patrol has at least one trail that they maintain. Some in the group have also been working to GPS all the regular wheeling trails in CO as the US Forest service is producing a new map of Forest Service Roads and will close all roads that are not GPS'ed after the end date...which I think is sometime at the end of this year or early next year.

Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) Information

They also put on a yearly event called the "All For Fun Weekend" I believe is the name. This event aparrently has quite a national draw.

They also suffer from lack of people wanting to be officers.

I think if we are to sustain ourselves we need to look at more than Jeep Libertys - for obvious reasons.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications