It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back-up Lights???
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello, guys.

My name is Wil, and I'm using my wife's account here (i'm FlyingWil on the forums). Well I am installing Wen's back-up lights and tried to search here to find a some examples of what others have done.

We're putting a set of LightForce stubby's on the back of her new BajaRack, and we do not have Service Manual, which would help here! Well we'd like to have the lights connected to a 3-way rocker switch with the options being as follows: (on with reverse lights, off, on). Has anyone done this and if so how? Links, write ups? Any help would be appreciated as to where to tap into the reverse lights near the driver's seat. On my truck it was under the seat, but I have no clue where this puppy is on the KJ.

Well every thread is worthless with out Pictures... so here's her rack and the lights installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:29 pm 
LOST Member

http://colorado4wheel.com/allmanuals/Je ... KJ_FSM.pdf

This link will get you to a PDF Field Service Manual for the 2002. Just save it to your hard drive. Hope this helps.

K&N Air Filter
Full set Mopar skids
Sirius Sat Radio
Cheapa$$ Subwoofer
Custom pinstripes:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:34 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Wil,

I ahve a diagram here ( somewhere) that I am (goingto ) use someday but it shows what you want to do with your wifesKJ. Will did it up here later when I have some more time.
Off topic those are great looking racks, glad you are selling them now.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

I like it, gives me some great ideas. Somwhere in my garage I have a few pairs of cheap driving lamps that I've been planning to place on the side of my roof basket.

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

trailman wrote:
http://colorado4wheel.com/allmanuals/Jeep/KJ/02_KJ_FSM.pdf

This link will get you to a PDF Field Service Manual for the 2002. Just save it to your hard drive. Hope this helps.

Sweet! Thanks for the link!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey Wil, nice rack, lol just had to sorry. Tell Wen the Bajarack looks great, cant wait to see more of it. Good luck with the reverse lights, been meaning to do that to mine for a while.

mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:28 pm 
LOST Addict

do you have metal roof bars? b/c those don't look stock...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:09 pm 
LOST Member

You need an ON-OFF-ON switch. Ground to middle, one end to relay for back up lights, and other end to reverse switch and then back to relay for lights.

Or, wire the second 'ON' to a micro switch that is ON (closed) when you have the shifter in reverse. and then to the relay. This keeps you out of the factory wiring, and is also relatively easy to get to (not 100% sure where the factory reverse-light switch is), and you could just put the switch on the console near the shifter.

Sorry if those were kind of vague, but hopefully it gets you in the right direction. Let me know if you need more clarification.

I would wreck Kate Hudson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

riptricket wrote:

Yeah, just got them on... once I'm done with the lights, I'll make sure that Wen adds a write up on over here. The BajaRack by far exceeds my expectations so far. It was a good choice for replacement to the Con-Ferr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

HoppedUpOnGoofballs wrote:
You need an ON-OFF-ON switch. Ground to middle, one end to relay for back up lights, and other end to reverse switch and then back to relay for lights.

Or, wire the second 'ON' to a micro switch that is ON (closed) when you have the shifter in reverse. and then to the relay. This keeps you out of the factory wiring, and is also relatively easy to get to (not 100% sure where the factory reverse-light switch is), and you could just put the switch on the console near the shifter.

Sorry if those were kind of vague, but hopefully it gets you in the right direction. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Yeah, I fully understand that. I was more looking for a good spot to tap into the reverse lights that's located near the driver's side. We're going to go with on on-off-on switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:52 pm 
Got Groceries?

check out this thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... 3&start=20

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i have some cheap walmart fogs that I'm going to use to do the exact same thing. already have the rocker switch just gotta find the time

(SOLD) 2005 Liberty Renegade 4x4
2.5" Lift, Wrangler MT/R 245/75/16, Hella 500s, Black Widow Roof Rack, Stock Rock Rails, TJ Front Bumper, Flowmaster 44 Offroad

(SOLD) 2006 Liberty Limited 4x4
L.O.S.T. Stickers, Yokohama Geolander AT-S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:11 am 
Master of the Blender

riptricket wrote:

IIRC the Bajarack comes with it's own roof bars (like the con-ferr rack she had on there) that bolt into the mount points for the stock bars.

And yeah, that is one sweet looking rack 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 am 

She didn't have stock bars before on it, looked like early ones from AllJs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:09 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
She didn't have stock bars before on it, looked like early ones from AllJs

Nope, you are correct it was the early All J's that were welded to the Con-Ferr. Don't worry, we keept 'em in the LOST family.

The new ones were custom fabricated for us from BIIB Fab here in Mesa. I'll make sure Wen throws up a complete write up once we're 100% finished with this project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:07 pm 
LOST Addict

i bought the PIAA reverse light kit, with the 3-way switch, all wiring, relay, fuse, real easy to install. i just havent found the reverse light power wire yet lol. so i can have the lights automatically come on when i put the tranny in reverse. but everything else is hooked up and works awesome!

switch in the middle is OFF
switch up, is ON, key in or not
switch down, lights only come ON when the reverse lights come on(the wire i havent hooked up yet, its tyied up under the dash until i can find that power wire! lol)

these are the best pics i have of them so far. since then, i bought some PAINLESS wiring, wire loom and covered up the wires, its really nice wire loom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

flyingwen wrote:
I'll make sure Wen throws up a complete write up once we're 100% finished with this project.

We'll tell her to hurry up, or i'm going to have to make a road trip up. Not that it would be bad, but then I'd spend all my money buying up stuff from SE. :) Actually, cant wait to see it when it's all put together.

Those bars look nice too, matchs the rack style

later,mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 pm 
LOST Addict

that is an AWESOME rack and basket by the way! i love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Signcutter21 wrote:
flyingwen wrote:
I'll make sure Wen throws up a complete write up once we're 100% finished with this project.

We'll tell her to hurry up, or i'm going to have to make a road trip up. Not that it would be bad, but then I'd spend all my money buying up stuff from SE. :) Actually, cant wait to see it when it's all put together.

Those bars look nice too, matchs the rack style

later,mike

Umm first I need to figure out where to tap into the reverse lights. On the Tacoma it was super easy to find in the manual, and then find the wire under the driver's seat... bang bang done! This Jeep thing is all new to me!

Mike, if you want to come on up and lend a hand your more than welcome. Did I mention I hate wiring? Oh and maybe we can do a run in FJ sometime.

Thanks for the compliments on the BajaRack. I agree Wen did an awesome job picking out a new rack. Now, for those axe/shovel, and Hi-Lift mounts to get here and we're set!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:35 pm 
LOST Addict

when you find out where you tapped in for the reverse light, let us know! i really want to get mine hooked up. when i swing down that dash cover under the steering wheel, SOO many wires! haha :) i even tried finding the reverse wire by taking the taillight out and looking at the reverse power wire color, but cant find it under the dash, and not sure if its even the same color when it gets up to under the dash

i really want mine to come on when i pop it in reverse so i dont have to turn it on manually, i know its easy to flip a switch but still, it would be nice for that function to work when offroad at night, they have that 3rd switch fucntion for a reason lol