It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOST Silverton Trip (July 24-31)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well since we got our new board, lets get this post going again

I'm going to most likely be arriving Sunday July 24th and will be leaving on Sunday the 31st of July.

I'll be camping in one of two BLM areas outside of Silverton. The first area is rather small and secluded, but a great couple sites. It's located about 3 miles east of Silverton right on the Animas River.

To get to the first area you would head east out of Silverton. Drive past the Mayflower mill where the road turns from pavement to dirt. Keep going. Just before the road crosses the Animas River there will be a dirt road heading back towards Silverton. Turn on the road and look for my KJ (Khaki Limited) or Rockwood pop-up trailer with NM plates.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n= ... atum=nad83

The second camping area is much larger and has two primitive bathrooms. To get to this area instead of turning on the dirt road continue on the main road across the Animas and through a small mining town called Howardsville. Keep going until you see a small sign that says Middleton. At that sign turn left and look for my KJ or my pop-up.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n= ... atum=nad83

There are no hookups or showers at any of these area, but it is just a great place to camp. Right in the middle of the mountains and along the river. Since it is BLM it is free and first come first serve.

Even if you are still stock you will be just fine. Most of the trails can be handled by a stock KJ.

Page with Trails and a map
http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

Trail conditions
http://www.57z.com/page/2786/page.html

If you are still undecided, maybe this picture will convince you. Image wheeling in camping in scenery like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Wow! I'm so jealous. We will be there then, but not having fun like you. We've rented a house outside of Ouray for that week with another family. Since we all can't fit in the Jeep, I'm hoping to sneak off some to explore some "stock Liberty" trails.

L.O.S.T.#000305
'03 Limited 4x4 Bright Silver Metalic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/496132
Lots of factory options, a couple of aftermarket things,
a big ol'car seat in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:30 pm 
I live here
I live here

I'll go up for the weekend but can't stay for the work week. I have a lot on my plate at work.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
I'll go up for the weekend but can't stay for the work week. I have a lot on my plate at work.

You coming the weekend of July 29? Anyone else going to make this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Darn! We can't make it that weekend, but are going to be down in that area from Aug 11th-14th. Anyone planning to be around then? We want to do the Black Bear and Ophir or Imogene...

~Sara

Custom rock rails & skids
Rubi tires and wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just passing through and the post caught my eye... You guys are gonna have a blast! We drove out from TN last July and ran several of the trails around there. And ran Black Bear pass with two other KJ's and a wrangler.

Just a word of caution though. Two people died on the trail pictured above just a few days after our lost group ran it. Two people also died on Imogene last year too so just take'er easy and give the trails your full attention and respect.

I sure wish I could load up and head west to meet up with you guys this year, but the better half wants to go wading with the sharks in florida. dangit. :roll:

Lost #37040
Boulder bars
Daystar 2" lift
Cobra 75-wxst
Cruiser Stainless light bar
Grey Husky Mats
Kenwood/Sirius Radio
Kenwood TM-D700A
Magnaflow exhaust
Truetrac front differential
Viair on-board air
245/70/16 Revos
Champion 8k lb. winch
Masterpull winch rope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:25 am 
I live here
I live here

I did not need to know that! darn! Where are the bunny trails now?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes, Imogene and especially Black Bear pass certainly require your full attention and respect b/c the exposure is extreme! But having been over both numerous times over the last 15 years, if you keep your wits about you, and follow instructions (ie backing up) you should do fine. The last time I was over Black Bear was last summer with my husband's parents in a stock Chevy TrailBlazer of all things. We did ok, but I would be nervous in anything wider than that, although I've seen it done. KJs have a distinct advantage in the width respect. I have to say it IS sobering to look down shells of old vehicles who didn't make it, though. But it's one of my favorite jeeping roads of all time. The scenery is just awesome.
~skh

Custom rock rails & skids
Rubi tires and wheels

Post subject: Hey TNKJ
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey, Man how you been.? I haven't seen you around much since Ouray last year. Make sure you take an Umbrella with you in florida and suit of chain mail..

Take it easy,
Ron S

Just a jeeper now but at one time there was nothing but LIBERTY!!! L.O.S.T. #297
Co-Founder of Lost Rockies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Long time no see Ron. We're all doing good here, Hope you and your's are too. :D

Lost #37040
Boulder bars
Daystar 2" lift
Cobra 75-wxst
Grey Husky Mats
Kenwood/Sirius Radio
Kenwood TM-D700A
Magnaflow exhaust
Viair on-board air
245/70/16 Revos
Champion 8k lb. winch
Masterpull winch rope

Post subject: Doin good
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I am glad to here that everything is going for you and yours---Take easy on your trip to Floridaw.

Later,
Ron

Just a jeeper now but at one time there was nothing but LIBERTY!!! L.O.S.T. #297
Co-Founder of Lost Rockies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I'm going to be leaving for this in less than a week. Seeing if anyone will be joining me atleast for the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

We returned this evening from 10 days in Silverton. Had a ball running trails and seeing the beautiful scenery.

The weather was great. 40's in the morning and 70's to 80's in the afternoon. It usually gets warm pretty quickly after sunup so a jacket is only necessary until about 9 AM.

Ran:

Engineer Pass
Cinnamon Pass
Arrastra Gulch
Maggie Gulch
California Gulch
Placer Gulch
Hurricane Pass
Picayne Gulch
Yankee Boy Basin
Clear Lake
Ophir Pass
Alta Lakes Trail
Red Mountain Mining
Cunningham Gulch and part of Stony Pass
and a few others.

Saw lots of Marmots from 10,000 feet and up. Chipmunks by the hundreds, and a few deer.

Watch the highways early and late. We had 3 deer run out in front of us Tuesday morning between 7 and 8 AM as we went from Silverton to Durango.

According to http://www.soajeep.com/home.html the only trails still closed are Governor's Basin and Poughkeepsie Gulch. They might be open by the time you get there, check locally.

One caveat: Poughkeepsie is the hardest trail in the area. If anyone runs it be sure you have a winch. It may still be muddy. When we saw it it still had a lot of snow on it and was definitely closed and impassable.

Sorry we couldn't delay our trip to go with the group but other ccommitments in the next few days made us come back today (took us 3 days traveling to get back to East Texas).

Lots of snow still on the ground this year.

Go forth and have a great time!

Bill Tolle
04 Sahara
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Bill,
Of the trails you mentioned, are any easily handled completely stock, with the wife and kid aboard?
We're leaving tomorrow for Ouray and will be in the area for the week.

L.O.S.T.#000305
'03 Limited 4x4 Bright Silver Metalic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/496132
Lots of factory options, a couple of aftermarket things,
a big ol'car seat in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is a list of the trails in the Sliverton/Ouray area from the Charles Well's "Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" (The best trail guide book I've seen. If you are looking for a guide this book is excellent, better than the other book by Massey & Willson IMO.)

AREA 1
Ouray, Silverton, Lake City, Telluride
1. Last Dollar Road (E)
2. Yankee Boy Basin (M)
3. Governor Basin (D)
4 .Imogene Pass (M)
5.Black Bear Pass (D)
6. Ophir Pass, Alta Lakes (M)
7. Clear Lake (E)
8. Mineral Creek (D)
9. Poughkeepsie Gulch (D)
10. Corkscrew Gulch (E)
11. Red Mtn. Mining Area (E)
12. California Gulch (E)
13. Engineer Pass (M)
14. Cinnamon Pass, Wager Gulch (M)
15. Picayne & Placer Gulches (E)
16. Eureka Gulch (E)
17. Stony Pass (E)

You will not have any problems with one of the easy trail at all. In fact the easy trail are truly graded dirt roads. You will see just regular front wheel drive cars on them.

I really can't remember what moderate trail I did do but I remember doing Cinnamon Pass and Yankee Boy Basin (really pretty trail, do this one) and they where basically a dirt road with equivalent of going over a curb every now and then. They have some rocks at times, but they are no more than a couple inches in diameter (3-4"). I've seen Subaru's on these trails without problems.

Alot of the trails are overrated and I would take a stock KJ on all of the except Poughkeepsie and probably BlackBear.

So in short you will be fone on any of the easy or moderate trails. If want someone to go wheeling with, give me a call (505-350-9673) or drop on by. You'll love it out there, happy wheeling.

Post subject: Trails
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Engineer pass is also pretty easy from animas forks over to mineral point, but from there on down to highway 550 is pretty bumpy. I acutally banged my skid plates more there than on black bear. The funny thing is we met a family on the trail there driving a rented stock chevy trail blazer! How they didn't high center that thing on a rock I'll never know. Here's a pic I took on a smooth section of that trail.

Lost #37040
Boulder bars
Daystar 2" lift
Cobra 75-wxst
Grey Husky Mats
Kenwood/Sirius Radio
Kenwood TM-D700A
Magnaflow exhaust
Viair on-board air
245/70/16 Revos