It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PVC roof cross rails idea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:54 pm 
LOST Addict

well.. i've realized a few times that i could use roof rails.. but i want ones that are low and sleek (not above the rail).. plus they dont have to be VERY strong.. but i would like it to be stong enough for a rack and my spare tire up there.

so theres what i came up with.. i know it will shock a lot of you.. but i think it might work.

pvc pipe... 2in OD with .225in wall (120 schedule). my rails are 2 1/8 in OD. so the 2in pvc will be notched to fit over the roof rail... you know like cut a 2 1/8in half circle out of the end so it can be forcefully wedged between the 2 roof rails. then i plan to make 2 slots in the PVC near the edge where it will attach to the roof rails with a large hose clamp. the kind you screw in the tighten. this will make for movable rails and should be strong enough to tackle anything i'll have up there.

i hope to get the supplies tomorrow and work on it this weekend. i figure the PVC pipe is strong enough for me to stand on and jump up and down without even thinking about budging (180lbs).. it's prob. strong enough for a spare tire. and by indexing it then securing it with a clamp i'm sure it wont be going anywhere on the rail.

of course the pvc will be painted maybe silver but prob. flat black. and remember this is on the renegade roof rails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Might work! Another member made a roof basket out of pvc http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6921, he say's it's strong and works well for his needs.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm 
LOST Addict

after realizing pvc pipe gets very brittle when it's real cold i'm scrapping this idea... and maybe just going with 1in square stock instead. steel is stronger anyway :)