It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crazy LED Tailamp Idea!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok guys listen up,

So I was outside today measuring my roof and all for the roof rack and I decided to start measuring stuff and came upon the tailamp. I measured the brake/turn signal and it measured roughly around 5 inches.

My question is this.... What if....

I install this inside:

Yes I know someone here will tell me... Just buy the LED tails... My problem is this... I want something that looks low key and OEM. Only problem I see with it would be making that one LED to turn signal, brake and regular light due to it being two seperate lights becoming one.

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 pm 
LOST Addict

i like it.. go for it!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

All I have to do is get an extra pair of tails to work on. The connection on these LED lights are a 3 pin pigtail harness. If I can splice a 3 pin pigtail to an OEM tailamp harness it may work but I have to figure out how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:09 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

so you are wanting one lamp to serve as parking, brake, stop , turn? or are you wanting the red ones for parking, stop and yellow for turn? Couple of ways to do it, let me know what or which way you are heading and I maybe able to help. If you look at LEDs for trucks they come with a rubber grommet around them, think about just cutting the light itself and mouting them in the light ( instead of inside the body of the light) and then paint the rest of the light body color

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I know about these lights because I drive a truck myself.

The rubber grommet around them is seperate from the light housing itself. I am actualy thinking of taking the round light apart and using it's components (LED light not the housing) to put inside my tailamps (Cutting the inside of the housing to fit the round dimensions of these). And finally using this one 4" round LED light to do both functions of the brake light and turn signal. Get me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:21 pm 

MIA_02Liberty wrote:
Well I know about these lights because I drive a truck myself.

The rubber grommet around them is seperate from the light housing itself. I am actualy thinking of taking the round light apart and using it's components (LED light not the housing) to put inside my tailamps (Cutting the inside of the housing to fit the round dimensions of these). And finally using this one 4" round LED light to do both functions of the brake light and turn signal. Get me?

Part of the problem will be running the LEDS inside and shining through the red lens of the outside of your current light, for some reason it causes it to look funky I think. May want to check that out, seems most will tell you to run a white LED bulb inside the red lense.

LEDs on a truck do look cool for sure, I stopped driving 6 years ago but had 98LEDs on the cab and sleeper of my Pete alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:03 pm 
LOST Member

Red LED's will be correct through red lenses white will not do as well I have made sets for my boat . utility and camper trailer from scratch and experimented wilh white leds. Its a wavelength thing ! A super bright Cree 3 watt led does ok but the small leds like are in the post not so good.
I have 2 of the 3 watt leds in my bike lite I built in a Mag Lite head it out shines a 20w halogen and only draws .35 amps I use 4 AA nmh 2500
ma cells not a big 12v gel cell like the halogens use. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php? use this link for LED and Lighting concerns.

3 Jeeps owned
Favorite Destination Gunnison Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LED have a very narrow band of light - so Yellow LED's in a red plastic lens - may have all light blocked by the lens
even white LED's in red or yellow.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:33 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

If you scroll about halfway done you will see a guy cut holes in his stock XJ taillights and mounted LED's: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.p ... hts&page=2

I'll have to look later, but there is another XJ guy the did what you were thinking but emptying his housing an putting LED's in it. Turned out pretty good. Now if someone would just make steel taillights for the KJ with LED's, that might be something. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

any updates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

haha, I had this idea like a long time ago.. never went through with it though because the LED lights I found were too expensive, and if I messed up my tailights, I didn't want to spend even more money buying new ones..
I was also thinking about making a fiberglass or something along those lines to replace the whole tailight itself.. nothing happened..
lol..

-Dean

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

infernicus wrote:
haha, I had this idea like a long time ago.. never went through with it though because the LED lights I found were too expensive, and if I messed up my tailights, I didn't want to spend even more money buying new ones..
I was also thinking about making a fiberglass or something along those lines to replace the whole tailight itself.. nothing happened..
lol..

-Dean

I got a set of taillights Ill sell ya cheap if you need them.

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I just use OEM LED replacements and they work just fine. The rears are complete LED.