It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building Custom Bumper - Updated 3/16 w/ new pics (page 2)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:33 pm 
LOST Member

I'm ready to start on this project now. The first cuts began today. I'm building a design that is a cross between the SC rockstar, the Trailready bumper, and an ARB. I'm taking the advantages of each and combining them into one bumper. I haven't decided on 1/8" steel or 3/16" steel yet, but I'm leaning towards 3/16" - Might as well make it beefy.

So far I've pull the bumper skin off and decided how I am mounting the winch. I'm going to run 2"X2" 1/4" thick angle (or square tube) steel down the center of the frame tubes. to accomodate that I will have to cut (a little more than is shown in the picture below). the angle iron will be mounted by grade 8 hardware (4 bolts per side) from underneath. I'm going to weld the nuts to the angle and run bolts up. This angle then extends out the front about 7 or 8 inches then I will use a piece of 1/2" or 1/4" channel that will bridge across the two pieces of angle. This will create the winch mount. Then I will skin across the front and wrap it around the sides like the rockstar. There will be a bull bar over the top of the winch.

As an added feature, I am going to try to totally encase portions of the bumper and make them air tight. The intent is to create an air tank for the OBA system. I will to the same with the back bumper. I don't know if I will tie the two of them together, probably will.

The frame mount will end in a D-ring mounting point.

By the way, the metal you see in the picture were just for demonstration. That is not what I am using. I am buying the metal I will use this week.

Feedback, suggestions, and advice are welcome.

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Last edited by rescu2000 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like you've definitely put some thought into what you're planning to do. That can be a great start. Keep us updated with photos.

Are you planning to make a mock-up first or design pieces on paper first or how are you planning to work out the sizing of each raw piece of material? I ask, because if you don't make it into the KK section, you may want to check out this thread where a KK owner made a mock-up of his bumper first in cardboard to help him work out the shape he wanted and thus the sizing of each raw piece. Just trying to help.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

I will start on the mock up in the morning. I gotta go get some posterboard. I'll have a finished mockup by Friday. I'll keep posting pics as I progress.

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:57 pm 
Bush Hunter

:shock: Those are some FUNKY wheels there! I didn't know they made wheels like that to fit a Jeep?

Curt class III/IV hitch, and wireing
O.K. Offroad steel reciever shackle
Zune 80 gig for the tunes,
(Do Jeep slush mats count?)
Life size Amstaff terrier bobble head in rear seat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:07 am 
LOST Member

Yea, they are BBS RX wheels. They were on there when I bought it. Last time I checked, they sold for $400 each! I'm going to measure the backspacing on them tomorrow, but they are 16". There is almost NO clearance on the inside. If I keep them, I'm going to put some spacers in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I cant wait to see what your design is, are you going to incorporate turn signals into the bumper? I think that would be hard to keep it air tight unless its not going to be part of the air tight section.

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:35 am 
LOST Junkie

i'm working on almost the same idea air and all... but i know how i am going to connect it all :wink: , i have my foam board mock up done and pictures will be up when i am finished... oh just got the new miller matic 212 friday it is awesome... aluminum gun included

'05 Limited CRD Inferno Red Pearl Coat
Home made provent installed @ 35443, SEGR installed @ 35466, Fumoto valve @ 37500, trans and transfer case skid, In tank pump installed @ 43500, Suncoast TC & Transgo Shift Kit @ 44730, EGT, Boost, Trans temp gauges, Samco hoses, Rebuilt Trans w/ HD454RFE kit @ 56K, Inmotion Stage 2 @ 56K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i think it's a neat idea you've got going there, as an alternative to trying to make it air tight, would it possibly be more beneficial to mount like a 2 ft oxygen cyl or something in the bumper instead? could have a plate on the bottom with 4 bolts or something to remove to drop the plate for access to the bottle itself for repair or maint. purposes

i was just thinking should you damage the bumper it could rupture your 'tank'

with the bumper encasing a cyl it would be a bit safer and probably less prone to leaks?

just a thought, still, you got some really cool ideas going here

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:49 am 
LOST Addict

rescu2000 wrote:
Yea, they are BBS RX wheels. They were on there when I bought it. Last time I checked, they sold for $400 each! I'm going to measure the backspacing on them tomorrow, but they are 16". There is almost NO clearance on the inside. If I keep them, I'm going to put some spacers in there.

Clean them up and sell them and use the money to buy some new wheels.

Looking good on the bumper. Looking forward for some more updates and pictures!! :D

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:36 am 
LOST Member

Why don't you mount the winch on the wrangler at the left? :lol: :lol: paint it pink and call it a day 8)

Daystar Lift
Rancho 9000X
ARB Rear Locker & OBA
Thule Aero
Santiago-Chile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:24 pm 
LOST Member

I mocked up the passenger side today. I'll do the driver's side tonight and post pics tomorrow. I like the way it looks so far. My only complaint is those darn places where the stock lights are on mine (2003). They are going to be a PITA. I think I'm going to just block them off. I'm looking at using the stock turn signals integrated into the steel bumper (like the trailready bumper) With some sort of pattern cutout or just a big hole that they mount in.

As for the air tank idea, that may be an option, but I will lose airspace that I could gain with an irregular shape. I don't think the pressures I'll have in it need a cylinder shape (around 100PSI). I have considered lining the inside with fiberglass to improve the air-tight characteristics.

I'm not overly concerned about damage, holes, etc. worst case is it doesn't work and I still have a fully functional custom steel bumper...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thats true, i mean should it not work, or not work like you need it, or develop a leak, worst worst ya just make a cut and mount a cyl if need be

my uncle used to have one of those really old broncos with the fat tube bumpers and he replaced the rear bumper with a tube/airtank

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

sounds like a kick-ace bumper, cant't wait to check it out. :idea:

02' Limited
3.7 Veesick..quart oil filter.
Coleman Safari Basket..axe...shovel
a whole lotta Hella FF's with R.C.C. quick aiming system.
15" American Racing Outlaw 1's
235/75/15 ..gps,mp3,dvd...etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:31 pm 
LOST Member

I mocked up the drivers side different from the passenger side. The drivers side is more like an ARB. I'll put up pics tomorrow and get feedback on which rough design people like. Then I'll build a full mockup and start on the metal cutting next week. I am going to relocate the washer bottle.It is just sitting way too low. I have a couple of options for it that I am considering.
I picked up a welder today. I'm hoping it is big enough. It is a Lincoln 3200HD. I plan on having a friend (pro welder) do the bsae mount that will connect the winch, winch cradle, and the frame. Then I'll take it from there. I don't want my inexperience to cost me later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:10 pm 
LOST Member

Here are the first couple of styles. I've decided NOT to put the turn signal in the side (like is shown below). I am thinking about buying new turn signals. These rounded ones will be a pain to fit in a square bumper.

NOTE: There are two different style bumpers in the picture (left vs. right) I am not planning on building it like the pics below. I'm deciding on which I like and I will make both sides match.

Also, I'm leaning towards the ARB looking one. If I go with the one on the passenger side, I'll extend it out past the flare kind of like a rockstar.

Last edited by rescu2000 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

if you are going for tank space, do the one on the driver side... Personally I like the passenger side a whole lot more

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:26 pm 
LOST Member

I've decided to just make the back bumper the air tank. It's shape is a better fit for it. Plus, it will be less likely to get damaged. I'll mount the Air compressor back there somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:44 pm 
LOST Member

What do you guys think of these turn signals? I am thinking these would look good out on the outside edge. I can cut a matching pattern in the steel and sink them in a little or even flush mount them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Love the lights!!!
on the bumper, I'd try to angle the piece instead of those designs
but if I had to choose, I'd go with the passenger side!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I like the passengers side also, are you going to add a grille guard also?

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/