It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 pm 
LOST Member

Yes. I'm planning on adding a bull bar over the winch. I want to put some lights in it too. I'm thinking square maybe.

Just ordered 4 d-ring Mounts. Hopefully they will get here this week. I opted for the squared off ones. They look a little more rugged.

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looking great. Keep up the good work.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:09 pm 
LOST Addict

rescu2000 wrote:
Yes. I'm planning on adding a bull bar over the winch. I want to put some lights in it too. I'm thinking square maybe.

Just ordered 4 d-ring Mounts. Hopefully they will get here this week. I opted for the squared off ones. They look a little more rugged.

Front bumper is looking good. Keep us updated. BTW can you post the link to where you got those D-ring mounts? Thos things look heavy duty :twisted:

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:38 pm 
LOST Member

Very nice. Like several other folks, I like the passenger side better than what you've mocked up for the driver's side.
Oh, and the turn lights! Awesome! Those are LED, right?
As for lights to go in the bullbar hoop... your other lights are round (kind of a Jeep thing, after all), I'd stick with round... Hellas or IPFs maybe. Maybe I'm just too hung up on consistency, but I just don't see squared lights looking right on the front end (I know someone's gunna get their nose outta joint now and post a dozen pics of the square lights... but, one man's opinion... take it for what it's worth).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:06 am 
LOST Member

I got the d-ring mounts off of ebay.

I am abandoning the ARB looking one, mainly due to the fact that it looks too much like an ARB.

Yes the lights are LED's.

I'm going to experiment with some ideas for the turn signals (in addition to the LED's). One idea that I have is to get some factory 2005 lights and see if I can make them fit into the fender flares and then block off the square spot. If I knew a 2005 grill would fit, I'd put one of those on to cover the holes. I think it mounts in a different angle. I'll try out the 05 lights and see how that works.

As for square lights. I will only mount them IN the bumper, if I put them on at all. Any lights mounted on the bar or above the bumper will be round.

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 am 
LOST Addict

rescu2000 wrote:
I am abandoning the ARB looking one, mainly due to the fact that it looks too much like an ARB.

Glad to hear to be honest. Why go custom if you are gonna make it look like one you can buy off a rack? Look forward to see what you come up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:25 pm 
LOST Member

OK. All my stuff is in. I should have this thing done tomorrow. I went with a combination of the two sides. There is a plate that slopes up from the front to cover the Turn Signal mounting area. It is kinda like an ARB with the top sloped downward. Then it sweeps back and outward to the fender flares. It's coming along nicely and I have added the ability to shoot a couple of bolts through the end pieces into the end of the front bumper frame. (if that makes sense) I will get pics up tomorrow.

GREAT NEWS ON THE TURN SIGNAL LIGHTS! The ones in the picture above look like they can be mounted in the fender flares (plastic) pretty easily. I think that they would look awesome there! I'll play around with it this weekend and post some pics. This is a very nice mod that anyone could do their rig. You could even mount them in the quarter panels. They mount by drilling a hole (looks to be 1/2") and then there is a plastic bolt built into the back of the light with a plastic nut. Very simple. They come with a rubber surround to form a gasket against the metal also. I think I gave $22 for both of them. I'm not sure how bright they will be. I may have to add some brighter turn signals in the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

great looking bumper
too throw my two cents into the pot I also like the passenger side
Is that mock up bumper poster board?

You just getting all sorts of creative 1st the speaker box under the seats
then the bumpers
Way to be creative .......Massive props dude...

{Electric Stuttertone Emergency Horn}
strobe leds front and rear
2 way VHF radio (kenwood)
westin brush guard+ Hella 500's w/ 100w 3000k bulbs
back seat removed and shelf added
rolled and totaled dec 4 2010..(drunk driver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:12 pm 
LOST Member

The mockup was done with 3/16" foam board (from a hobby store). Same thickness as the metal and very easy to work with.

Back Bumper (with integrated air tanks) is next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:25 pm 
LOST Member

As promised, here are some updated pics. I won't do the final welds until tomorrow. I am going to add a plate from the bottom back to the radiator support.

I also have to add the bull bar, but I can't bend it so I'll either have to get some 90 degree bent 2" conduit at lowes and weld it up or (preferably) have someone bend it for me. Then I'll add it.
I also do not have the Shackle mounts on. I plan on mounting them on a raised boss like the Rockstar bumper has on it. Not sure what I'll do on the turn signals yet...

I'll turn it into the sun and get some better pictures later this afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:43 pm 
LOST Addict

looks great!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:55 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks. This is my first attempt at building anything like this. I've got 2 more pieces to cut tomorrow and then I can pull it off and weld everything up. While it is off, I'll box in the underside and drill the mounting holes for the winch. I'm going to go to a junkyard tomorrow and find some more turn dignals. I've mounted the triangular ones on the fender flares. They fit pretty well there and they angle to the front a little. I'm going to get some Cherokee lights (the square ones) probably and mount them in the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:13 pm 
LOST Member

Thats very nice work and design Glad to see some fabrication on "Fabrication" If you need something bent check out this site lots of guys with benders. Might be someone near you that would bend your hoop.
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/index.php
Oh I hope you did your "finite anylasis " calc's on that baby.

3 Jeeps owned
Favorite Destination Gunnison Co.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry to hijack but I resemble that last remark...

Hey! I'm still workin on my fab project, about 4-5 hours a day. I'm a designer, I'm still designing.

Great link though. Thanks!

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:42 pm 
LOST Member

OK. The bumper is 99% done. All that is left is to weld the d-ring mounts on. I'm trying to design some raised bumper pads to house them. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Pics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
Pics?

Sheesh simmer down there Mike......
rescu2000 wrote:
I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Its still Today, not tomorrow. :P :lol:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:51 pm 
LOST Addict

JJsKJ wrote:
Inc wrote:
Pics?

Sheesh simmer down there Mike......
rescu2000 wrote:
I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Its still Today, not tomorrow. :P :lol:

All I saw was 99% finished. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 pm 
LOST Member

As Promised, Updated pics.
Still to do:
Get the hoop bent.
Weld on the D-ring mounts.
Mount the winch.
cut the winch cable slot
Mount the fairlead.
Maybe some different turn signals, but these work for now
PAINT (in the picture it is only primered) Haven't decided on color yet.

Of course my main objectives were functionality. I wanted as much tire clearance as possible and as much approach angle as possible and still have a winch on the front. The turn signals are the factory ones mounted inside the bumper for a little protection. There are some small triangular turn signals mounted in the fender flares. My plan is to have them burn solid when the parking lights are on and blink with the turn signals are on. They are only two-wire units, so I'll have to do that with a couple of relays. The color below is just the primer. I'm debating on what color to have the unit painted, but I won't paint it until I'm completely done (hoop, etc)

And here are the pics:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dude,That bumper is pimp shiz.I'd go with black.Great job.

Be sure to post a pic in the bumper section.