It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fender Flare Rivets
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

During my last trail run I managed to do some damage to my front passenger side fender flare. I don't think there is really any damage, but rather some of the plastic rivets were damaged. What type of rivets would I need, where would I get them, and how would I go about removing the rest? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i used hillman 7/16 push pin reuseable plastic rivets from Lowes

feathered body panel rivets held everything together long enough for me to go get somethin better

my flares don't budge, i can grab them and shake the whole vehicle and they don't pull, which is supprising considering im missing a few of the square flare to fender retainer clips in the front on both sides

you can use a pair of wirecutters, dykes, needlenose with cutters towards the back or a drill or cutters and a drill to remove damaged or other ones you want to replace, the stud of the oem rivet usually falls away when you cut the head but the bit can be helpful if you need to push it out or clean the hole up a little

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:48 pm 
LOST Addict

You can get the official plastic rivet at NAPA ( part no 770-2871 ), or you could use a Christmas tree clip

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, I'm missing three of the square clips on the fender in question and I have like three damaged regular clips (2 near the fog light, 1 on the bottom. Do you think replacing those three with the ones you posted would solve the issue or would I need to find some of those square jobs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the suggestions, by the way. I don't think I'll use the OME; they seem pretty... Blah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

im missin like 3 or 4 of those square deals and my flares are tight as doo doo with good fasteners in the wheel well

L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Awesome! I'll go to the store tomorrow and pick up some of those rivets and replace them. Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i hope youll turn out as relieved as i was, tryin to get those square f***ers out is a pain

thus why theres a few missing and broken :lol:

apparently theres some friggin TOOL for them that i did not have nor could find anything in my shop that would suffice other than poking at the ribbed retainer claws with a thin screw driver :P

but anyway, the way yours look is about how mine were fitting when i was missing about 4 or 5 rivets on each side plus the broken fender retainers, after the bottom 2 fascia/bumper to flare rivets were put in they were fittin better by the time i put in the rivets that are top dead center of the flare in the wheel well, i knew i wasnt going to need to deal with those fender fasteners

i don't know how some people just snatch both theirs off and slap them back on in like 3 minutes and have them fit but i've seen it done

L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject: Re: Fender Flare Rivets
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 am 
LOST Newbie

I've been lurking these forums for a while, but I had to register if only to thank JeepinJarhead03 for finally ending my fender flare headache. We tore off the passenger side flare two years ago on the trail (well, I guess the tree did most of the "tearing off"), and the driver's side joined it after crossing a fairly deep puddle (yes, that's right: a *mud puddle* tore the flare clean off the fender) earlier this spring. Now, I don't mind how many heads the Liberty has been turning around town (trail-damaged Jeeps are the norm around here, but never Liberties; they're safely relegated to soccer-mom status), but I've tried a half-dozen styles of fasteners and retainers to try to get at least the one flare attached, to no avail. I read this post yesterday, immediately headed to Lowe's, and picked up a dozen rivets. My fiance actually giggled when I pulled on the newly-attached flare and the entire metal fender started flexing! Every other retainer we tried, you could hardly breathe near the flare without fear of knocking it loose. Anyway, long story short: thanks for the information!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:54 pm 
LOST Addict

The plastic rivet setting tool is NAPA #770-2864 found here.

I bought one (and a box of 20 plastic rivets which cost me about $6) from NAPA when I had to take my bumper off to put the front receiver hitch on. Worth the price to get the rivets back on tight. :wink:

LOST#85291
"Blue Bunny"
04 KJ Sport 3.7L AT 4x4
Steel IFS/DL&DTT/4.10s/Tow Pkg/Mopar-Rusty's-Skid Row skids&sliders/OME struts&springs/Rancho shocks/Terraflex bumpstops/Landy FRH/Gen Steel/Grabber AT2s/Spidertrax/Rockcrusher/Hella/Smittybilt XRC8/Bulldog wiring/NAPA brakes/JBA UCAs&spacers/Deka Intimidator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:57 am 
LOST Addict

I bought the rivet tool from Harbor Freight and it came with an assortment of rivets. I think I paid $15 for the kit.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.