It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wax on Gray Plastic Pieces on Liberty Sport
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I waxed my Jeep for the first time and a lot of wax migrated to the plastic fenders and other gray plastic exterior parts a week later. How do you keep this from happening and how do you remove the wax?

Does anyone else wax their Sports? I saw a used Liberty at a dealer that had the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:52 pm 
LOST Addict

"Mothers Back to Black" will work. It's not just for black. You can go to Autozone or Wallymart and read the label. Check it out.

Post subject: A product that you never heard of!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Check with a local paint store look for a product made by Flood Company that is called Penatrol. This product is used by old time painters to add to oil base paint to help it flow out smoother to give a nice smooth finish. But a little known fact is if you use it like Armor-All it will perform the same but last a lot longer. Use just a damp cloth with Penetrol use it sparingly and don't put too much on. But it works a whole lot better then Armor-All, but if you put to much on it will flake off like a thin coat of varnish. Keep it thin and light coats, it also works great on rusted parts. It is not well known since more EPA appropriate products. But back in the time of oil base paint it was a standard in any painters tool kit. But use it like
Armor-All and instead of lasting only a couple of weeks, Penatrol lasts a couple months if not longer.
I may not know much about KJ's or other vehicles I'm just an old school shade tree machanic but irf we want to talk about paint ,interior house ,exterior house, or automotive. I can advise because I've been their done that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

i Use turtle wax Ice on my sport. it is synthetic and designed to be used on paint and plastic.
people are surprised to hear that it is an 04 and not newer.

i made a quick post on ICE in the subject titled 'Product Review: turtle wax ice'...

i swear by it so far (6 months) will let you all know if my opinion changes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:00 pm 
I wax mine...But I've been fairly successful in keeping the wax off my plastics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:04 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

mines waxed about 5 times a year you just have to be careful around the plastic and yes Mothers Back To Black works great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Or you can do this:

Tape it all off!

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:25 pm 
I was gonna say "Too much work" and then I saw that super-clean XJ...do you wheel your rigs??

Post subject: ICE, and Black Magic
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:21 pm 
LOST Member

I would like to add to the vote for ICE. This is great stuff. You don't see any white powder if you miss a spot. It works great on all parts, painted or unpainted. It's better than Amorall.
I like to give my libby a good coat of Black Magic liquid rated number one by consumer reports and by me.

ICE is great becasue you can do it in the bright sunlight. Black Magic is good because it gives a nice deep wet shine with good protection and takes out swirl marks.

Finally I like to use Wax as you dry between serious waxings. It allows for a nice wet shine without having to dry the Jeep first. Just spray it on then wipe.

It's a JEEP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:31 am 
Biodiesel Enthusiast
Biodiesel Enthusiast

I used Mr. Clean Magic Easer to get the white crud off my grey trim. I have a video of me cleaning one spot on my work computer. I'll post it up here.

L.O.S.T. # 068768
Rock Lizard Skink Sliders, Skid Row tranny skid, Wet Okole seat covers, Black Widow roof basket, front tow hooks, cargo/pet partition, all Amsoil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
I was gonna say "Too much work" and then I saw that super-clean XJ...do you wheel your rigs??

Not the xj but I do my Kj.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I use the Turtle Wax Ice on my Wife's Liberty for that exact reason...you can use it on the plastic.....its easy to use like everyone is saying. The only down side to it is that I dont think it lasts very long.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

brymac76 wrote:
I use the Turtle Wax Ice on my Wife's Liberty for that exact reason...you can use it on the plastic.....its easy to use like everyone is saying. The only down side to it is that I dont think it lasts very long.

Good luck.

i keep reading everybody saying that TW Ice isn't long lasting.... i just hastily laid on a coat this week after two rainy, salty, sandy-mud-in-the-road months and it still was holding a bead while i was washing same report from a friend with a WRX a week earlier i think that's pretty ok ... two months... i kinda wash and wax more than once most warmer months anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:17 am 
LOST Member

Avoid the new Turtle Wax Liquid Wax. It only lasts until the 1st rain and it will leave white marks after the rain washes it off. I have noticed that Back to Black will keep the real wax off of the plastic if applied a few days prior to waxing. FYI, Gasoline will remove B2Black if needed. Stupid filler hose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:42 am 
LOST Member

I'll cast a vote for the TW ICE. Tried it when it came out and love it. I'll vote for any TW product. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

MidnightLiberty wrote:
Avoid the new Turtle Wax Liquid Wax. It only lasts until the 1st rain and it will leave white marks after the rain washes it off. I have noticed that Back to Black will keep the real wax off of the plastic if applied a few days prior to waxing. FYI, Gasoline will remove B2Black if needed. Stupid filler hose.

i had that happen in a couple of spots. you just have to do the plastic in sections so that you're sure to remove it all. it's not complicated. even my plastic still beads months after waxing. of course i stop by the automatic car wash for the cheap soap and scrub every 2-3 weeks. i have tried a couple of other products this season but TW ICE is still my favorite after a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 pm 

I have used Meguirs for years on my DDs and show vehicles (back when I did that) but kept reading about the new Turtle Wax liquid which you could use everywhere. So tired it and I am not impressed at all, washed mine all up, applied it in the garage in the shade etc and well not getting the shine or anything like I always have with Meguirs products.
So I wasted 16 bucks it looks like :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

tried TW ICE liquid... not very impressed... seems to act as a "quick detailer" still a fan of the TW ICE paste. I am planning a full clay bar then a side by side comparison. half liquid half paste... will post results.

Post subject: wax on bumpers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:51 pm 
LOST Member

An easy trick I learned was using WD40 to remove wax from gray bumpers. The I use Black Magic Pro Protectant. WD40 takes the wax right off.

Mopar hooks
Class 3 hitch
comming soon mopar plates
rock rails
http://www.myjeepspace.com/user/iambob/gallery

Post subject: still...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

not many ppl checking in this topic any more... but i am in fact still using Turtle wax ice... most of their line. i just picked up their claybar kit yesterday