It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update: A little help??(front driveshaft)
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:19 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I seem to be having some difficulty with my jeep. The past couple days I have had a noise coming from the front drivetrain. It is a "tink"ing sorta sound, like something is loose?? It only happens while in 4wd and even then it seems to not be very consistant. When I drove it around the parking lot in 4wd p/t, it would make the noise slightly then stop and then it would make it at odd times.. I am confused??? I have had a couple ppl at work look at it and they are stumped. Ppl told me cv's, transfer case, differential, driveshaft, but nooone is sure. And I cant start taking everything apart with no direction and to be honest, I am strapped for cash and can't take it to the mechanic at this point :( .

So, what I am asking, is there someone around the Arvada or Denver Metro area that might have a minute to give it a look?? Someone that has more knowledge than me i would hope. Hoping just to get someone to see whats going on with it when its driven around. Not asking anyone to roll around uner the vehicle, just to listen to it and give some input. I am willing to drive wherever need be and everything.

Thanks for reading my post and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated :D

Installed-Frankenlifted II Premie w/ daystar spacer in rear, Tow hooks, Mopar skids, Dura-Tracs on Soft 8's, amsoil lubricants in everything, weather tech mats, RRO UCA's, RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET). I know I am missing something...

Last edited by KJ in CO on Mon May 11, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm no expert, but I don't think you're supposed to drive around on pavement in PT. The noise your heard could be the drivetrain binding. I think if you keep driving around on high traction surfaces, the noise will eventually go away....... :D

But seriously.... you should stop.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:22 pm 
LOST Member

JL Rockies wrote:
I'm no expert, but I don't think you're supposed to drive around on pavement in PT. The noise your heard could be the drivetrain binding. I think if you keep driving around on high traction surfaces, the noise will eventually go away....... :D

HHmm, ppl keep telling me not to drive on the pavement.. I was just trying to drive it around the parkin lot to figure out what the sound was while I was on the dirt.. Probably not more than 3/4mile all together. Is that still gonna mess something up? And it hasn't made a sound in 2wd.. You wrote "I think if you keep driving around on high traction surfaces, the noise will eventually go away". Is that what you meant? So, I should keep driving around in 2wd on the road and the problem might be better the next time I go to the trail? How do I know if my drivetrain is binding up?? All I know is that I was hearing the sound, but nothing was going wrong otherwise? :oops:
Thanks for helpin out!! :D

Installed-Frankenlifted II Premie w/ daystar spacer in rear, Tow hooks, Mopar skids, Dura-Tracs on Soft 8's, amsoil lubricants in everything, weather tech mats, RRO UCA's, RRO rock rails(bought but not installed...YET). I know I am missing something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:59 pm 
LOST Addict

i am in Parker and can help you out. I can also have my buddy a Mechanic take a look at it also. just give me a pm alright

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ in CO wrote:
JL Rockies wrote:

HHmm, ppl keep telling me not to drive on the pavement.. I was just trying to drive it around the parkin lot to figure out what the sound was while I was on the dirt.. Probably not more than 3/4mile all together. Is that still gonna mess something up? And it hasn't made a sound in 2wd.. You wrote "I think if you keep driving around on high traction surfaces, the noise will eventually go away". Is that what you meant? So, I should keep driving around in 2wd on the road and the problem might be better the next time I go to the trail? How do I know if my drivetrain is binding up?? All I know is that I was hearing the sound, but nothing was going wrong otherwise? :oops:
You are binding the drivetrain in part time 4wd on pavement after about 10 feet traveled,worse when you start turning.Your testing for the noise should be done in a gravel area at least if in part time 4wd.Yes after repeated driving on pavement,even wet pavement,in part time 4wd will break stuff and prematurely wear items like u-joints and CV joints and can blow apart the t-case.

Your problem can be a number of things,anything from worn bushings to a bad t-case.I'd have to hear the noise and look at your KJ to tell you anything more,unfortunately I can not travel to you and I bet your not willing to drive all the way to the springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:40 pm 
LOST Addict

In my humble opinion, a drive to the Springs would be worth it. Don't know of anyone who knows more about the KJ than the above. Just remember, he likes Mountain Dew not red Gatorade. Don't make the mistake I did..... Don't poke the bear. :lol:

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:44 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
KJ in CO wrote:
JL Rockies wrote:

You are binding the drivetrain in part time 4wd on pavement after about 10 feet traveled,worse when you start turning.Your testing for the noise should be done in a gravel area at least if in part time 4wd.Yes after repeated driving on pavement,even wet pavement,in part time 4wd will break stuff and prematurely wear items like u-joints and CV joints and can blow apart the t-case.

Your problem can be a number of things,anything from worn bushings to a bad t-case.I'd have to hear the noise and look at your KJ to tell you anything more,unfortunately I can not travel to you and I bet your not willing to drive all the way to the springs.

I am definently listening to what you guys are saying. This makes alot of sense, that the drivetrain may be binding up. Should I drive the vehicle around the pavement and then give the 4wd a shot next time I am near some good loose gravel? And I will NOT drive in pt on the pavement anymore if it makes everyone and my KJ happy :lol: ... Thanks for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Start with the easy stuff.................

Grab the front driveshaft,try to move it up/down,side to side,and back and forth.
Grab each front CV shaft and do the same.
Grab the rear driveshaft and do the same.

If those are all tight.......................

Use a big screwdriver or prybar and applying minimal force on all the bushings in the front end.

My best guess is you will have some play on the passenger CV,the inner one,which could be caused by a bad inner CV cup and bad inner axle shaft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm 
LOST Member

Figured out what the krazy sound coming from my vehicle was.. Turns out it was my front driveshaft all along. It looked like the boot by th TC was alright to me, but my buddy showed me the crack and dirt inside... Does anyone maybe know of someone that could custom build a front driveshaft? Preferrably in the area at a good cost?? Thanks to everyone that helped me out in diagnosing the problem. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:09 pm 
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!

:lol: 9.......10......

Another one bites the dust! :roll:

How many did I say would be bad... 15 or 25? :shock: 8)

3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:12 pm 
LOST Member

03CDKJ wrote:

No Bueno... :( There must be something that can be done with all the old driveshafts.. Are they worth anything to anybody??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:26 pm 
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!

KJ in CO wrote:
03CDKJ wrote:

No Bueno... :( There must be something that can be done with all the old driveshafts.. Are they worth anything to anybody??

You can have it rebuilt... :wink:

3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:13 am 
LOST Addict

you can try to rebuild it, go to tom woods in UT for about 450 or go to napa and get one that uses the old round flanges but uses u joints. Cost depends on the lenght

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:24 am 
LOST Addict

There is also custom drivelines. There is one here in colorado up near santa fe i believe. I would have to look up the name real fast. Tom Woods is also a very good one. If you call Tom Woods they well tell you just to ship it, and they well repair it and ship it back. Shouldnt be that much to do.