It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone ever replace A/C compressor Bearing on 2002 Liberty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2002 Liberty with 112K miles. The A/C still works great and the clutch activates fine, however it has just developed a metal on metal noise which I have narrowed down to the compressor pully bearing. I have heard of people just replacing the bearing with the ompressor still in the vehicle so no freon is lost. Is this possible, and if so, could you direct me to the proper write up or procedure.
Much appreciated,
Denton Wingeier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm pretty sure you have to replace the compresser, my bearings were making noise last fall and I had to replace the whole compresser.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

mines makin the noise too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:46 am 
Replace the whole compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube. If you do not replace the accumulator and orifice tube, your lifetime warranty or whatever you have on your compressor is

VOID

Have a shop that knows what they're doing do an evac before, and recharge after. If you don't

Don't say you weren't warned :lol:

Anyway, you're lookin at around $700 all said and done...it's not that huge of a difference between that and what you're paying for parts...so might as well take it somewhere and have a P&L warranty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am pretty handy. Could I just have a shop evac it. The I replace the needed parts, then have them recharge it?
If so, how much do you think I am looking at $$ wise for the shops labor? Any ideass on the best place to purchase these parts?
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:01 pm 
LOST Addict

im going to keep an eye on this thread, i have my new-shorter-belt, re-routed to bypass the ac compressor with the pulley taken off the compressor, so i can still drive my jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:22 am 
99xjclassic wrote:
I am pretty handy. Could I just have a shop evac it. The I replace the needed parts, then have them recharge it?
If so, how much do you think I am looking at $$ wise for the shops labor? Any ideass on the best place to purchase these parts?
Thanks!

Yeah, the work itself isn't hard...on most cars, no harder than changing the alternator in an 84-02 2.2L OHV Cavalier.

For warranty reasons, ThunderbirdJunkie (even if he were paying retail prices) would buy from a local parts store (that isn't Autozone or Advance) to avoid having to ship something in the event of a warranty issue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RAYMAN975 wrote:
im going to keep an eye on this thread, i have my new-shorter-belt, re-routed to bypass the ac compressor with the pulley take
n off the compressor, so i can still drive my jeep

could you give part#,this might be worth knowing in future,thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:33 am 
LOST Junkie

RAYMAN975 wrote:
im going to keep an eye on this thread, i have my new-shorter-belt, re-routed to bypass the ac compressor with the pulley taken off the compressor, so i can still drive my jeep

where did you get that from? im thinking about doing that until i can get a new compressor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:00 am 
LOST Addict

i got it from advance autoparts, its a 6 rib belt, 13/16" wide, 82.5" long. ill double check here a little later, but if i remember correctly, that info is 99.9% correct. ill also get pics of how it is routed to keep everything spinning the correct direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

i was gonna replace the bearing/clutch on our 02 but found that i could get the whole compressor remaned for very close to the same price. i just replaced the whole thing. pretty simple, then let the jeep dealer do the vac test and recharge for $110.

i figured why not have it all new...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you go to maker of the compressor's web site, Sundan or something like that, you can get and print repair manuals on how to replace just the clutch bearings. Yes, if space is available, the bearings can be replaced in the car and not loose the charge :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Joe Romas wrote:
If you go to maker of the compressor's web site, Sundan or something like that, you can get and print repair manuals on how to replace just the clutch bearings. Yes, if space is available, the bearings can be replaced in the car and not loose the charge :D

This is what I am going to try to do. I will let you all know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Well i bought a used compressor from a 2005 liberty rubicon for $50 shipped off of ebay :D
I tuck the clutch and pully of that and put it on my 2002. Works great.
Best part is I never had to tap into the freon, and it only cost me $50!
Thanks everyone!