It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:04 pm 
LOST Addict

that looks really good! if anyone else wants to try it i have a stock TJ front and a stock TJ rear bumper that can be sold !

Post subject: New thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm gunna go ahead and take the advice and start a thread so this info can be found easier. More people will see it. If you have any info you want out there on it it'll be put into it's own thread.

15X8 pro comp rock crawler 51
Thrush welded muffler
Custom front bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:15 pm 
LOST Addict

I had a chance to test the rails out last week. I specifically wanted to come down hard on them, and I did, quite hard. They held up perfectly. I am extremely pleased. There may be pics out there of me putting them to good use, but unfortunately I didn't take any. I think one or two other guys may have though and I'll put some up if they post them.

When I tested them I was in Vegas wheeling with doug and poormtkid from here on LOST. Doug has a new 2 door JK with 35" KM2s and a 2.5" lift. I stood next to his rock rails on his jeep and measured them next to my knee. Then I stood next to my new rock rails and measured them next to the same knee. Even with Doug sitting on like new 35s and me sitting on really worn 31s, my rock rails only sat 1/2" lower than his, from the outer corner edge of the rail. Talk about extra clearance. 8) :D

So who is going to be next and do this mod to their jeep? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:00 pm 
LOST Member

its got me interested definatly i just have to find all the money and time and a welder to do it lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

wish i had welding tools...think .120" steel would be strong enough?

tow hooks & strap
CB
Mud
Upcoming:
1. tires and lift
2. armor!
3. rack and lights
4. other mods to fit my style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:17 am 
LOST Addict

TruLiberty wrote:

I wouldn't go any thinner than .1875".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TruLiberty wrote:

I bet it would and it would be easier to weld, but I would agree with Inc and I would do 3/16"

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:22 pm 
LOST Addict

jsc7002 wrote:
TruLiberty wrote:

I bet it would and it would be easier to weld, but I would agree with Inc and I would do 3/16"

I was looking at my .120 wall 2x2 rock rails that I took off to do this mod. They are dented and one side is actually bent, ever so slightly upwards. Granted I bent it on a massive boulder, the size of the front tire, going like 5 mph and wasn't paying attention. I hit it, went up in the air, bounced twice on the rock rail and slid off. When I got out to see what I did I thought for sure I screwed the rails up, the rocker panels and the doors, luckily it didn't. I never noticed the dent or bend but when I built these I didn't want to take the chance of bending or getting dents in something I built into my jeep's body. I can't go back and unbolt these to replace them so I wanted something that will out last the rest of the jeep when I abuse it. So I went overkill. The hard part to weld was the body panels, not the rails. The rails took nice deep burns easily, but the body would melt even on the welder's lowest setting if I wasn't really careful.

Go for 3/16" if you are concerned about cost and weight, or 1/4" if you aren't worried and don't want to worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:35 am 
LOST Addict

I had a chance to thoroughly test them out today, both sides. Both held fine and didn't bunch a millimeter. Working great. I crunched on both of them many times and the extra 4" of clearance was amazing. Places I know I would have been hung up on, I glided right through. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
I had a chance to thoroughly test them out today, both sides. Both held fine and didn't bunch a millimeter. Working great. I crunched on both of them many times and the extra 4" of clearance was amazing. Places I know I would have been hung up on, I glided right through. :D

pics or never happened. :twisted:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok before i mouth off i want to say that looks like one hell of a bang up job, and i'm not talking about the trail rash :lol:

Now to the more serious stuff.....since your not working on anything else right now except that measley little SFA project of yours (I mean really nothing at all) you should fab up an extra set of those rails for a fellow L.O.S.T. member kinda free o' charge like:D

But really nice job, if i ever get the time (or money) i'd love to fix something like that up for myself.

Goodyear Duratrac's 245/75/R16 on Cregar soft 8's, Full Skids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:49 pm 
LOST Addict

tumanator wrote:
Ok before i mouth off i want to say that looks like one hell of a bang up job, and i'm not talking about the trail rash :lol:

Now to the more serious stuff.....since your not working on anything else right now except that measley little SFA project of yours (I mean really nothing at all) you should fab up an extra set of those rails for a fellow L.O.S.T. member kinda free o' charge like:D

But really nice job, if i ever get the time (or money) i'd love to fix something like that up for myself.

In all honesty, the hard part is the body cutting and then the long welded seams which take forever. All that stuff has to be done on jeep and you'd have to knock that out. The bar cutting and end cap welding is really easy and fast. Those are about the only things I could do if someone wanted me to send them some. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:00 pm 
LOST Member

why nobody ever thought of this... so what if i just take those plastic things off? and leave it bare like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:57 pm 
LOST Addict

htkrph wrote:
why nobody ever thought of this... so what if i just take those plastic things off? and leave it bare like that?

I assume you meant the rocker panel cover? A lot of the earlier KJs come that way, no plastic cover. The ones that do come with it have holes where they mount to once you remove them. I'm not sure what just leaving it bare would accomplish, so I'm not sure I understand your suggestion/question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8