It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to lube sway bar bushings?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:21 am 
LOST Member

Hey guys

Theres a lot of noise in the front end when going over speed bumps, only when the wheels are perfectly straight. Its like a very loud noise like a tire was hitting the plastic fender lining. I took that out so I know its not that but the dealership and two other shops say my sway bar bushings need to be lubed. The cheapest is $70 and I don't think its worth $70 to lube something up.

Can you guys recommend a good way to lube them up without taking everything all apart and stuff? Also which bushings are the specific sway bar bushings so I can see if I can isolated it to that.

Thanks,

Ryan

EDIT: Just remembered that the noise goes away after I wash the car and everything is all wet...so I know its not the struts. Also if I spray silicon on all the bushings it goes away for a couple days then comes back.

Rusty's 2.5in Lift
Lund Air Deflector
Hella 500 Series Lights (6)
Sirius Sat. Radio; Garmin GPS System
Amer. Racing ATX Chamber w/Teflon; Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 265/70/16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you look up at the front crossmember, just above the leading edge of the front skid, you will see the two swaybar mounting bushings mounting the bar to the crossmember. Remove those 4 nuts w/ an 18mm socket and you should be able to pull off the metal covers and then pop off the bushings and lube them up prior to reinstalling. It is a good idea to clean them of any rust or dirt you might find too. You can use the silicon spray but I coat mine w/ a heavy chassis grease.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:11 am 
LOST Member

Somebody somewhere had a write-up on adding grease zerks to your sway bar bushing mounts so you could grease them. It was a cool mod that I've been meaning to do...

But thanks to the wonderful search function on this board I can't find it for the life of me...maybe someone will remember who did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 pm 
LOST Member

JJsKJ wrote:
If you look up at the front crossmember, just above the leading edge of the front skid, you will see the two swaybar mounting bushings mounting the bar to the crossmember. Remove those 4 nuts w/ an 18mm socket and you should be able to pull off the metal covers and then pop off the bushings and lube them up prior to reinstalling. It is a good idea to clean them of any rust or dirt you might find too. You can use the silicon spray but I coat mine w/ a heavy chassis grease.

Thanks JJ, will do that today. Any specific lube you would recommend more than the other or is any chassis grease good enough?

And prospect62, heres that thread. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=12494&highlight=grease+zerks+sway+bar. Use Google to search the forum. Put in your search terms "sway bar bushing grease zerks" then "site:http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/" all in the search bar and it will only search that forum.

Ryan

Rusty's 2.5in Lift
Lund Air Deflector
Hella 500 Series Lights (6)
Sirius Sat. Radio; Garmin GPS System
Amer. Racing ATX Chamber w/Teflon; Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 265/70/16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

you know, thinking about what I wrote, I was speaking about the poly ones I had for grease, I think you might be better of cleaning the factory rubber ones good and using silcon on them. I don't know if some greases would bother the factory rubber or not.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

Zerks are the way to go. A pretty simple one hour mod!

TL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

phxtoad wrote:
Zerks are the way to go. A pretty simple one hour mod!

TL

agreed, that is what I had on mine and you Had to grease those noisy poly bushings.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:21 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

some greases and rubber do not mix well and the bushings will deteriorate faster . I just use silicone spray every month or so and no squeaks yet main thing is to keep them clean and the dirt out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:22 pm 
LOST Addict

This is a great mod, I did it roughly two years ago and never had to worry or hear the noise again.

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just spray silicone in there every time I change the oil. Sometimes I hear them once the silicone wears off but its not really a big deal. Ive taken them off before and put Silicone grease on them before too, it does the thing a pretty good while.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster