It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Black's Custom Trailer Build
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

I figured I should make a new thread about the build and get your guy's input on it as well.

This is/was the basis where I got the idea of how easy it may actually be to build a trailer of my own. That build is exactly what I need. Simple and effective, looks nice and won't break the bank. I don't want or need anything really fancy, like an adventure trailer, just a "truck bed" of sorts that I can fill with gear when I have a jeep full of kids, wife and pup. With the jeep loaded with passengers, I need a way to carry all our stuff and so a trailer is the natural solution. I won't be beating on, or abusing it, just taking it on paved roads to established campsites. I am sure it'll see dirt roads, and maybe some mild wheeling, but I won't need it for the serious off roading I'll do.

This is what I am working with:

Fenders - I may trade them for squared off ones, but I like the round and will probably keep them.

The tub - it is roughly 48" square (upper lip measurements). It has a 1.5" inner boxed frame built into it on the bottom. I plan on crisscrossing the bottom with more of the same 1.5" tube. A buddy gave me a sheet of 1/4" thick ABS plastic, in black, and I am going to make the floor out of that. It will bolt in really easy and if I have issues with it, I can replace it with no problem. It will be 17" deep with the floor installed. The walls are made of 10 gauge steel.

The tub was actually 2 feet longer but I didn't want it that big so 2 feet were cut off and then the end welded back in. It turned out nice and clean:

As of now I only plan on running 32s on some stock "Canyon" Jeep wheels I picked up for free. I'll paint the wheels black (of course), and the trailer will be black and fenders will be gray. It should match the jeep nicely.

Ideally, I would have liked a tailgate, but this will work. I am debating on making a "rear bumper" for it to mount the turn signals in. If I do it will just be a 2"x 4" tube that will be welded to the rear of the tub and will have angled corners. For the tongue I want to do as the guy in the link I posted did, and use some square tube that will run from the "rear bumper" (if I make one it will be welded to it), and then extend about 40" past the front of the tub to the hitch coupler. I will weld the tongue to the floor cross-members I am going to weld in. I may use rear turn signals just like the ones the guy in the link did. I think I am just going to use a ball hitch as well.

I think I will be getting a custom axle, made to specs for the trailer. The guy quoted me $125 for it including hubs that will work with the 5x4.5 wheels I have. I am unsure what kind of springs I need to get the right height and spring rate though.

What does everyone think? I am doing this on the cheap, so I won't be going all out, but I am hoping it will still come out nicely. Lastly it will have JEEP in big gray letters on the back of it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Get one of those old CJ tailgates with "Jeep" stamped in it and make a drop-down tailgate :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:51 pm 
LOST Addict

djui5 wrote:
Get one of those old CJ tailgates with "Jeep" stamped in it and make a drop-down tailgate :D

I have a TJ tailgate, but it doesn't say jeep and its dented. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:35 am 
LOST Addict

pics no worky for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
djui5 wrote:

http://www.jeepparts4less.com/jeep-mark ... vu3t8nu8n6

I have a CJ tailgate but it don't say Jeep on it. I need one that says Jeep too for my CJ restoration, so if you decide you want a plain one let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:39 am 
LOST Addict

riptricket wrote:
pics no worky for me

Not sure, its the same webshots stuff I've used forever.

djui5 wrote:
Inc wrote:
djui5 wrote:

http://www.jeepparts4less.com/jeep-mark ... vu3t8nu8n6

I have a CJ tailgate but it don't say Jeep on it. I need one that says Jeep too for my CJ restoration, so if you decide you want a plain one let me know.

Thanks, I'll pass though, just because I am lazy and don't want the hassle of redoing it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:08 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

YJ front springs work pretty good, they are long, pretty flexy and ride good. Better than the short regular trailer springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
Thanks, I'll pass though, just because I am lazy and don't want the hassle of redoing it. :lol:

Can't blame ya there! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:36 am 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
YJ front springs work pretty good, they are long, pretty flexy and ride good. Better than the short regular trailer springs.

Would they be to stiff? This trailer will be pretty light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:23 pm 
LOST Addict

What did that trailer start off as? Was it a old M series trailer?

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 pm 
LOST Member

I am working on an 67 m416 1/4 ton jeep trailer. It uses CJ2A front springs and shackles. It is also equipped with oem shocks that I got from Napa. I thought that the springs would be to stiff as well, but after I fully loaded it with camping gear it road very well, not to bouncy and not to soft. I even test loaded the trailer with a 2 ton chunk of steel.

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:04 pm 
LOST Addict

i hate you dover.. .j/k
i want an m416 really badly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Sweeeeeeeet... I likey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Xodius wrote:
What did that trailer start off as? Was it a old M series trailer?

Well it started out as a trailer actually, then on to a truck bed and now back to a trailer.

This is what it was originally made for or meant to be made into, but the tub walls were made with too thick of a steel so it never made it into a finished product. The same guy that made this yellow trailer did my SFA work.

Then my buddy bought it and mocked it up to use for his flatfender build, but he decided to go another route.

Now I have it, and it is back to becoming a trailer.

DoverKJ wrote:
I am working on an 67 m416 1/4 ton jeep trailer. It uses CJ2A front springs and shackles. It is also equipped with oem shocks that I got from Napa. I thought that the springs would be to stiff as well, but after I fully loaded it with camping gear it road very well, not to bouncy and not to soft. I even test loaded the trailer with a 2 ton chunk of steel.

I don't believe I'll use shocks at all on mine, and I don't think I will ever need it to be strong enough to hold 2 tons either. The whole thing will weigh less than 1,000 pounds and will most likely never hold that much weight either.

durangotang wrote:
Sweeeeeeeet... I likey

I hope it turns out as nice as I see it in my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:17 pm 
LOST Member

My m416 weighs less then 600 lbs total and is only really suppose to hold 1/4 ton. The shocks believe it or not will keep it from bouncing all over the place off road and work real well. I thought that they would do the opposite, but I towed the trailer 300 miles in both direction over smooth ashalpt, gravel and big old pot holes. It road very smooth and sometimes would forget it was back there. Just something to consider, especially if you are going to tow it offroad.

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:40 am 
LOST Addict

DoverKJ wrote:
My m416 weighs less then 600 lbs total and is only really suppose to hold 1/4 ton. The shocks believe it or not will keep it from bouncing all over the place off road and work real well. I thought that they would do the opposite, but I towed the trailer 300 miles in both direction over smooth ashalpt, gravel and big old pot holes. It road very smooth and sometimes would forget it was back there. Just something to consider, especially if you are going to tow it offroad.

I'll run it without shocks and see how it is, and if it bounces a bunch, then I'll get some. Thanks for the input and suggestions. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

I got a sheet of heavy duty ABS plastic from a buddy for free (the stuff is used to make the rear seat of cop cars)band I figured I could use it for the floor of the trailer. I cut it to size today and drilled holes into the plastic and the tub frame to mount the floor. I put the floor in and stood inside the tub. It wasn't bolted down, didn't have any center cross member supports and it still held my 200 pounds just find. I stood in it and walked around as the tub was supported on jack stands, so the plastic floor will work nicely and keep the weight down.

I also went to harbor freight today and picked up a trailer jack and a tongue coupler. I figure since it won't be seeing a lot or any heavy duty wheeling, the regular ball mount will work just fine. I got both of them for $35, which is $15 or more less than everywhere else I checked, just for a trailer jack.

So I need to buy some 1.5 tube to finish the tub floor, I need to buy some 3"x3" c-channel or square tube for the tongue, I need to find some rear turn and brake lights, I need to decide how to mount m side markers, and I need to buy a custom axle and springs.

It is coming along nicely so far, and I'll post some pictures later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Pics as promised:

I mounted the fenders with button-head allen bolts. That way they wouldn't snag as easily on stuff loaded in the trailer. I will be using flat head allen bolts to mount the floor, so nothing snags again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:57 am 
LOST Addict

I still wish that I could see your pics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:07 am 
LOST Addict

riptricket wrote:
I still wish that I could see your pics...

Did you try clicking on the red x or blue box w/ a ? in it?

Try copying the image address of the red x or whatever you see and post it in another tab or window. See if that works. Sorry you can't see them, ad I have no idea why you can't. :?