It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 02-03 Liberty UCA recall
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just in! Salt belt Libertys from 02-03 get new upper control arms!

NHTSA NOTICE

Vehicle Make / Model, Model Year(s):
JEEP / LIBERTY, 2002-2003

Manufacturer: CHRYSLER LLC
Mfr's Report Date: APR 07, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V119000
NHTSA Action Number: EA08008
Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 42469

Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 42,469 MY 2002-2003 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN SALT BELT STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IOWA, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MARYLAND, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA , WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. THE FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF LUBRICATION WHICH COULD LEAD TO CORROSION, ACCELERATED WEAR, AND POSSIBLE SEPARATION WHILE DRIVING.

Consequence:
FAILURE OF THE BALL JOINT COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF STEERING CAPABILITY, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM ASSEMBLIES FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes:
CHRYSLER RECALL NO. J17. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah only because your state uses salt which would be easily prevented by washing the undercarriage more then never like most people do.

Post subject: Washing under carrage in winter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Yeah only because your state uses salt which would be easily prevented by washing the undercarriage more then never like most people do.

Ever try it at -10f, water freezes. Grease works wonders and the Lithium in grease helps control Manic Depression with out drugs.

I plan to put grease fittings on my ball joints on my 06 just drill, tap, screw it in and pump it up with grease.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject: Re: Washing under carrage in winter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

warp2diesel wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Ever try it at -10f, water freezes. Grease works wonders and the Lithium in grease helps control Manic Depression with out drugs.

I plan to put grease fittings on my ball joints on my 06 just drill, tap, screw it in and pump it up with grease.
Sure have,I even washed my whole KJ in the middle of a blizzard and also when it has been -35 degrees actual temp.I wash my Jeep every sunday no matter what.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Sure have,I even washed my whole KJ in the middle of a blizzard and also when it has been -35 degrees actual temp.I wash my Jeep every sunday no matter what.

I don't see how that is possible the water would freeze in mid-air.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jeepkj02 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Not hot water at 4500psi.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
jeepkj02 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Hot water at 4500PSI can strip paint and cause corrosion more extensive corrosion when the steel is unprotected.
In the Midwest some of the car washes use recycled water that has salt mixed in, you need to be careful.
Washing salt off with salt water is a waste of time.
Fresh water is the best to use.
I dedicate my passion on how well my Jeep runs and feel the other things like washing in a blizzard only to drive in salty snow slush to get home to be a waste of time.
To get back to the real performance issue, regreasable ball joints are superior to non-regreesable ball joints of the same grade.
Moog has some really good ball joints.
When the originals are worn they will be replaced with Moog regreasable ball joints.
Replacing the upper control arms to do so is no big deal, it will be well worth my time and money..

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

warp2diesel wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
jeepkj02 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
warp2diesel wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Hot water at 4500PSI can strip paint and cause corrosion more extensive corrosion when the steel is unprotected.
In the Midwest some of the car washes use recycled water that has salt mixed in, you need to be careful.
Washing salt off with salt water is a waste of time.
Fresh water is the best to use.
I dedicate my passion on how well my Jeep runs and feel the other things like washing in a blizzard only to drive in salty snow slush to get home to be a waste of time.
To get back to the real performance issue, regreasable ball joints are superior to non-regreesable ball joints of the same grade.
Moog has some really good ball joints.
When the originals are worn they will be replaced with Moog regreasable ball joints.
Replacing the upper control arms to do so is no big deal, it will be well worth my time and money..
The only way your going to get greaseable UBJ's is to replace the UCA's with JBA's UCA's,no OEM style UCA's are greaseable and you need to be lifted to use the JBA UCA's.TRW makes the OEM UCA's which is part of MOOG,MOOG also makes the OEM LBJ's but both are made to Chryslers specs not MOOG's.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
you need to be lifted to use the JBA UCA's.

Marlin has UCA for stock KJs on his website.

JBA Gen 4.5 for Stock 02-07 KJs

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jeepkj02 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
you need to be lifted to use the JBA UCA's.

Marlin has UCA for stock KJs on his website.

JBA Gen 4.5 for Stock 02-07 KJs
So he finally came out with them,that opens up a big market for him,he needs to do some advertising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone received their notification on this recall? I replaced one a year and a half ago, was one of the complaints filed with the NHTSA. The front end on my '02 has been crap since new. I've had 4 sets of LBJ's, one that failed completely and one upper so far. I just called my dealer, Chrysler and the NHTSA to find out what's going on. Chrysler would only say that there is no open recall for my vehicle, and the NHTSA customer service rep was even less helpful. I just want to get the work done before I put new tires on it. I learned my lesson with the LBJ's. Ruined a pair of AT Revo's before I got smart enough to have a front end shop do my alignments. The dealer kept blaming road crown. This is the same dealer that refused to align it after a lower failed, ruining a wheel, inner fender liner, rotor, etc.

So just looking for feedback from anyone who has heard anything.

Thanks, Matt

L.O.S.T. #050943
2002 Liberty Sport 4x4, Black
K&N FIPK, Drain pipe ram air
235/70-16 A/T Revo
Optima red top
Rancho RS5000, no lift
Hidden Hitch w/Yakima Bighorn 4 bike rack
Vent shades and deflector.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wahoo650 wrote:
Has anyone received their notification on this recall? I replaced one a year and a half ago, was one of the complaints filed with the NHTSA. The front end on my '02 has been crap since new. I've had 4 sets of LBJ's, one that failed completely and one upper so far. I just called my dealer, Chrysler and the NHTSA to find out what's going on. Chrysler would only say that there is no open recall for my vehicle, and the NHTSA customer service rep was even less helpful. I just want to get the work done before I put new tires on it. I learned my lesson with the LBJ's. Ruined a pair of AT Revo's before I got smart enough to have a front end shop do my alignments. The dealer kept blaming road crown. This is the same dealer that refused to align it after a lower failed, ruining a wheel, inner fender liner, rotor, etc.

So just looking for feedback from anyone who has heard anything.

Thanks, Matt
Looks like it's just time to bit the bullet and buy the MOOG K3199 LBJ's and have them installed,no more LBJ problems after that as long as you grease them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:26 am 
LOST Newbie

My mistake for not being clear. I'm not asking about the LBJ's. That has come and gone (2 recalls and 4 sets later). I'm asking about the reason for this thread, the new recall on the UCA/upper ball joint.

ANYONE out there that has heard more on the UCA recal for '02-03?

Thanks, Matt

L.O.S.T. #050943
2002 Liberty Sport 4x4, Black
K&N FIPK, Drain pipe ram air
235/70-16 A/T Revo
Optima red top
Rancho RS5000, no lift
Hidden Hitch w/Yakima Bighorn 4 bike rack
Vent shades and deflector.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Post subject: Re: 02-03 Liberty UCA recall
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The original notice on this (1st post) was about a year ago. I stil haven't heard anything. Is this an actual recall or not? :?

I called my dlr. they said there is no such recall. :?:

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wahoo650 wrote:
My mistake for not being clear. I'm not asking about the LBJ's. That has come and gone (2 recalls and 4 sets later). I'm asking about the reason for this thread, the new recall on the UCA/upper ball joint.

ANYONE out there that has heard more on the UCA recal for '02-03?

Thanks, Matt

I just called Chrysler csr service after I went to the NHTSA web site.
They do acknowledge the recall is out there. Unfortunately for me it only includes models built between May 1 - September 30, 2002! ........Like they didn't have this problem on any others!

Even though this was first posted on the NHTSA website in April, Jeep wasn't starting owner notifications until October 2009!

I called my stealership back, they still insist (even though I was looking at the website and had spoken to Chrysler) that there is no such recall!

So. if your vehicle was manufactured between those dates, check your vin on the Chrysler site or call them!

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 am 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:

Easy for someone to say who doesn't live in the salt belt! I am pretty anal about washing my undercarriage (mine and my Jeep's) but rust kills no matter how much you rinse.

And by the way, rinsing anything off with hot water in the salt belt just accelerates corrosion. The heat is what triggers the chemical reaction between the salt and the metal.

Glad I got my JBA 4.5's!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Prospect62 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Easy for someone to say who doesn't live in the salt belt! I am pretty anal about washing my undercarriage (mine and my Jeep's) but rust kills no matter how much you rinse.

And by the way, rinsing anything off with hot water in the salt belt just accelerates corrosion. The heat is what triggers the chemical reaction between the salt and the metal.

Glad I got my JBA 4.5's!

My KJ spent 1.5 years in a salt use area,never had a issue since I wash my junk.That is also why every new vehicle sold in in my home state must be undercoated before leaving the dealership.

Post subject: Re: 02-03 Liberty UCA recall
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:07 am 
LOST Newbie

I got my recall letter in the mail last Friday. Called the dealership on Monday. My hubby took it in and the dealership told him they have to order the parts and they wouldn't be able to fix it for a month and would mail me a letter letting me know that the parts were in. Is this normal for a recall or should I just go to another dealership?