It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RRO Adventure Rack....err adventure
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My sweet wife bought me the RRO adventure rack for Chistmas and gave the hint to other family members to get me some of the accessories for it. Here are some pics and a little review.

First, since there are a lot of bad opinions about RRO, I was skeptical about the purchase having not dealt with them previously. But I liked the look and price so decided to go with it anyway.

The rack all came and installed very easily, but I did have one back piece of luck that the box had a hole in it and a few bolts and parts for the hi-lift mount were missing. So, I feared having to call their customer service number.
But I have to say that they handled it very well. Just asked my to describe what I received so they could figure out what was missing. They shipped the missing parts out that same day and just a few days later I was able to finish the setup.

Basic rack...

rack with accessories... I didn't have a shovel or axe handy, but you never know when you might need a BFH or when a hockey game might break out.

Post subject: Re: RRO Adventure Rack....err adventure
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:41 pm 
LOST Addict

not bad

i was thinkin about getting one also but ive been kinda run off by other peoples experiences from this site, or so people have said anyway

i wish i could weld though so i could just build my own stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Not bad 8)

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wolverine wrote:
but you never know when you might need a BFH or when a hockey game might break out.

Great words to live by :-)r Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 pm 
LOST Member

Looks awesome and a confidence builder. Great job

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the update Wolverine. Glad it all went well.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 pm 
LOST Member

Looks good! Love the hockey stick! :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

The more I see that rack, the more I like it. And the mounting brackets for accessories don't cost an arm and a leg.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I ordered one this weekend so I can get it installed before going to LOST's GTG in Moab in April.

P.S. Boiler, I'll still be interested in your aluminum roof rack when you get a version ready for the KK.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:ALONE:

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:57 am 
LOST Addict

Boiler wrote:

It's not that different from a KJ... :SOMBRERO:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Im def getting one, The price is VERY reasonable and the accessories dont empty the bank

JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids

Post subject: Re: RRO Adventure Rack....err adventure - MtnLuvr's Install
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Last weekend I installed RRO's adventure roof rack and this weekend test fit some of the accessories.

Below are a few photos and comments on my RRO Roof Rack experience:

This is how the roof rack main piece and steel side rails came. Some of the ends of the rails and cross members had paint chipped off before it was packaged like this as while carefully opening the packaging and inspecting each item, I found multiple areas where the paint was chipped. Disappointing, as the packaging seemed to very well protect the product during shipment.

The loose parts, accessories and fasteners. I was more fortunate than wolverine as my box arrived intact.

I was one of the first to buy and install RRO's Rock Rail Sliders and, although I'm pleased with how they've held up offroad and how they look, the lacking instructions and quality issues were a disappointment. Unfortunately, the RRO Roof Rack isn't any better. It came with zero instructions and had fit-up issues:
The side rail mounting plates didn't fit well in the KK's roof rail channels. These photos show the best they fit -- it is even worse if you swap rails to the opposite sides. Although the rails were stamped "A" and "B", without any instructions I wasn't sure which they intended for which side so I had to test fit everything to figure out how it was intended to go together. I really like the fact that RRO supports the KK aftermarket and was pretty much one of the first and is pretty much one of the only options presently available for KK slider rails and roof racks. However, I am still dissapointed with some of their lacking quality. Gonna stop now before I get on a vent session.....

Close-up of the steel roof rail mounting after installation. The roof rails are (apparently) just suppossed to bolt directly down to the steel of the KK roof channel, but I cut and installed some thin gasket material to go between the two. Again, am I crazy in thinking that before you bolt a piece of steel to your painted steel KK that maybe it would be a good idea to have a little buffer material in between? Seems like anything you can do to minimize risk of paint chips on your OEM paint job, even if just during installation of a non-moving part, is a good thing, cuz once the paint is penetrated, you've exposed your vehicle's body to begin the oxidation / rust process. To get the side rails to fit as well as I did, I had to ream out 2 (of 8 total) mounting holes and bend 3 (of 4) inner ends of rail plates. The plates do also suck down when tightening down the nuts on the studs welded into the KK's roof.

The roof rack proper comes with hex head bolts to secure the cross member / rack "deck" to the end assemblies which u-bolt to the side rail. Because of the length of the hex head bolts, they wind up sticking up 1/2" or so. Seems like just another catch point when you're trying to use your roof rack. I replaced these hex head bolts with set screws which sit a little below flush in the top of the end cap assembly.

Here's how the back end looks. Were someone going to make a roof rack just for the KK, I would certainly encourage Boiler, I mean whomever :wink: , to maximize the length of the rack deck surface. This was something that RL's racks for the KJ seemed to do well IIRC.

Clearance is about the same as the Jeep crossmembers I had before I installed the RRO Roof Rack.

See what I mean about the rack deck could easily extend further back were the side rails built as part of the rack and the rack designed just for the KK?

This weekend, I test fit some of the attachments:
Hi-Lift mounting.

Long-handled tool mounting (sorry didn't have hockey stick :wink: ).

With the Hi-Lift mount installed, I can just barely drive in and out of my garage. I'll have to install the Hi-Lift out in my driveway before heading off to wheel.

I'm glad to have an aftermarket roof rack to facilitate hauling items up on my KK's roof.

MtnLuvr wrote:
I ordered one this weekend so I can get it installed before going to LOST's GTG in Moab in April.

P.S. Boiler, I'll still be interested in your aluminum roof rack when you get a version ready for the KK.
Boiler wrote:

Boiler, I'm serious, I'd still spring for a version of your aluminum roof rack design, adapted for the KK, in a heartbeat. I like that it is aluminum, that you have an attention to detail and quality, that your rack has built-in siderails, etc. Let me know when you're ready to sell some racks to KK owners and we'll get you a test mule.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

How did you get your U-bolts to go in straight?
Mine want to go in at an angle and everything is caddywampus
RRO only gave me eight u-bolts, so they shorted me 4, oh and gave me no rail hex nuts. :furious:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

stubble88 wrote:
RRO only gave me eight u-bolts, so they shorted me 4, oh and gave me no rail hex nuts. :furious:

First, are your crossmember end cap pieces oriented like shown in my photo with the flat edge on bottom and parallel the roof (so the slight peak of the end plate that the U-bolts go through it pointing upward)?

After that, have you tried flipping the side rails to the opposite side of the vehicle? I don't recall which side "A" versus "B" went on, but my first guess was wrong so I had to move them to the opposite side for everything to look correct.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:01 am 
LOST Newbie

MtnLuvr wrote:
stubble88 wrote:

First, are your crossmember end cap pieces oriented like shown in my photo with the flat edge on bottom and parallel the roof (so the slight peak of the end plate that the U-bolts go through it pointing upward)?

After that, have you tried flipping the side rails to the opposite side of the vehicle? I don't recall which side "A" versus "B" went on, but my first guess was wrong so I had to move them to the opposite side for everything to look correct.

I have it the same way you do.
I put A on the drivers side, which would make sense but who knows.
It ended up in a good spot. Im going to leave it for now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my roof rails. Add a crossbar (OEM or Thule 45050), add a RRO adventure rack (basic), or add a Gecko Sports Rack (do to my location it would be created as a bolted model or I would pay insane shipping but this rack is top of my list).

I have read a lot of negatives about RRO racks and I want to ask the people who have bought and installed them, would you do it again or go another route?

Thanks

Selec-Trac II 4WD - Factory Tow Package - Sunroof - Front KJ Tow Hooks - Mopar Skids - Wrangler Light Bar - Baja Lights - Sony MEX-3100P - Sony XM-4s amp (under the rear seat) - Polk DB6501 components - Polk DB651s Coaxial - Husky Liners

http://www.michaelarussell.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

I ended up buying the RRO Adventure rack in 2010, now I wish i hadn't. What do others think who bought this rack.

Here is why I wish I went another way. This rack is defiantly for novices. The rack installed easy enough however I guess I didn't do something right because I now have water flowing in my roof. I took off the driver side roof rail and the roof is cracked. It seems that the RRO is pulling the roof apart. I took it to a body man and he says the factory bolts aren't proper for this heavy of a rack. so now the roof needs to be welded, the bots are going to be changed and they are going to make a bracket to support the rack. The second issue I have it the RRO rack is rusting which is getting in my paint.

I'm sure more experienced people wouldn't off had the issues I did with this rack, I just want to warn the novices that it isn't as easy as it looks.
Thanks
Michael

Selec-Trac II 4WD - Factory Tow Package - Sunroof - Front KJ Tow Hooks - Mopar Skids - Wrangler Light Bar - Baja Lights - Sony MEX-3100P - Sony XM-4s amp (under the rear seat) - Polk DB6501 components - Polk DB651s Coaxial - Husky Liners

http://www.michaelarussell.com