It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toying with the idea of fabbing up a front bumper!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 pm 
LOST Member

I need some ideas guys, i'm pretty new to welding and have been practicing but my first real project i want to do a front bumper.
I've seem so good ideas from others, but what i really need to see is what you are tying/bracing it to??
Any pictures of the bracing for them??
I would like to have a front hitch, and maybe make a set of foglight holes.
Also where do you guys get your metal from for cheap??
Also its going to be for an 06 frontend!

Post subject: Re: Toying with the idea of fabbing up a front bumper!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Once you have your bumper off you will see 2 crush caps, take those off and you have a wonderfull location to slide tube or angle into for your mounting points.
Metal here in Toledo is not cheap unless you buy a lot of it at a time. I work for a welding/fabrication shop so I get it at cost and it is still pricey. I have almost $100 in steel for a little project I am doing for mine. Good luck. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

heck i would try some scrap yards in your area some places will sell it to you by the pound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

teckman02 wrote:
heck i would try some scrap yards in your area some places will sell it to you by the pound

metal is usually sold by the pound new or as scrap.

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 pm 
LOST Member

i know its going to be a while before i even start this, but i want to start drawing up some plans so when it comes time i will be ready, i was thinking of making a U shape and wrapping it around the subframe, but possibly putting square channel tubing into the subframe and bracing through it, sounds like a good idea, and ill deffinetly look into how i can do that.
Anyone with an ARB, RL, or custom bumper have close up pictures of how its mounted?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You may want to look around for some photos of how the front hitches and/or the detours backbone system mounts to the front of the KJ. It's not quite like a ladder-frame model like the TJ, but there are some reinforced sections that will serve well as bolting points. You DO want to make a system that can be removed, though. Most of the quality manufacturers have some kind of sub-frame that provides a good mounting/bolting surface for the front of the vehicle, then the bumper itself mounts to that.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Sent :) hope they help.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm working on one that uses the same style mount as the Backbone plus I changed up some. I'm looking at 14 bolts holding on my abbreviated bumper/front hitch/ winch.
http://www.detoursusa.com/kjbackbone.php
I'm still in the head scratching stage.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks good keep us posted.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's coming along. It's about all mounted, I gotta go get another 1/2 drill bit because I broke it! DOH! I have to add some gussets, cut in the clevis mount, weld it up, figure out transition from winch mount to OE bumper ends, paint it, Then I have to wire it up. That's all! :roll: I'm taking pictures and will make a post in a couple days. :JEEPIN:

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:22 pm 
LOST Member

I have a lot of pictures on my bumper thread. I have some that show the spot under the crush caps. I HIGHLY recommend using that spot. It is SUPER easy to do, convenient, and it allows you to slide the bumper on and then crawl underneath to bolt it up without anyone or anything else holding the bumper on. You will need to cut the holes just a little bit, but then you can slide 2" X 2" angle (1/4" thick) in there and mount it to the frame. I honestly think my bumper strengthens the whole front of my KJ.

Here is a link to my buildup. Back bumper too I think. If you are putting a winch in, I think my bumper will be as close to the front you can get without mounting the winch under the front frame support. You will see what I mean when you look at the pics. The sides sweep back to the frame at the corners also.

I would be happy to take any measurements or pics you need if you want to copy any of the design on mine. I do not plan on marketing them and the design is public domain as far as I'm concerned. I'll also think about what I might have done differently and make suggestions there also...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40660&p=569510#p569510

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Rescu. I've been following your thread and the design of the Backbone. My welder went down a couple of days ago and won't be back for a week or more. :cry: