It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Montana trails?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 am 
LOST Addict

I have a friend in Kalispell I can ask but in that area it seems off-road means snow mobiles and boats.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:22 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Once in the park, you can take a run up to Kintla Lake. Not difficult but worth the trip. Bring bug spray.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/c ... tla%20Lake

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:16 pm 

yellocoyote wrote:
JL Rockies wrote:
I have a friend in Kalispell I can ask but in that area it seems off-road means snow mobiles and boats.

That would be helpful - thanks! :D

BVCRD wrote:
Once in the park, you can take a run up to Kintla Lake. Not difficult but worth the trip. Bring bug spray.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/c ... tla%20Lake

I think we were in that area last time, but we never drove to the lake. Maybe we should this time. Thanks for that info.

I used to live at East Glacier MT on the Blackfoot Rez for a while. Once while on the way to Kintla, we saw a cougar crossing the road. We got to the lake and were swarmed by mosquitos. We literally ran to the truck, closed the doors and windows and fought them off from the inside. They were hungry that day for sure. There was an old biker stoner sitting on a table and he was just watching us. Apparently, he wasn't affected by them. If you are into hiking, try the Avalanche Lake trail. It is about 1 1/2 miles to it one way, but the most beautiful place on earth that I have seen. There are 7 waterfalls at the head of the lake. It is a wolly overgrown trail, and feels like a Grizz can just reach out from the willows and grab you. We wore bear bells and yelled a lot, mostly to satisfy our own fears. Bears were probably LTAO. I intend for my ashes to scattered up there.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:55 pm 

The Rez was a good place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there. Browning is the armpit of the rez. Do NOT get brokendown there!!! East Glacier Park is mostly owned by non-natives, but rez law still rules. They have their own sort of laws and the cops and lawyers do not have to be licensed. Read some of Lewis and Clark's journals and you will see what they had to say about the Blackfeet. I could tell you some stories for sure. Still, EGP was a real pretty town, and the folks were nice. I saw Robin Williams and Cuba Jr there while they were making the movie "What Dreams May Come." Robin nodded to me as he walked by. Cuba rented the house across from ours.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:41 pm 

yellocoyote wrote:
BVCRD wrote:
I saw Robin Williams and Cuba Jr there while they were making the movie "What Dreams May Come." Robin nodded to me as he walked by. Cuba rented the house across from ours.

That's pretty cool! 8)

What landed you on the reservation?

Wife is a Principal. She was 27 at the time with her Masters and zero experience. Had to go to the less desireable locations to pay her due.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BVCRD wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:

Wife is a Principal. She was 27 at the time with her Masters and zero experience. Had to go to the less desireable locations to pay her due.

Myself and BVCRD have lived on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico and the Reservation in Montana. I’m now 34 years old, and still the youngest Special Education Director in the State of Montana. :shock: Our Superintendent (who just turned 29) is the youngest Superintendent in the State. :shock: And one of our high school principals is 28 and the other is 30. :shock: You should see people’s reactions when we go recruit for teachers. :ROTFL:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:25 pm 

dieselenthusiast wrote:
BVCRD wrote:
yellocoyote wrote:

Myself and BVCRD have lived on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico and the Reservation in Montana. I’m now 34 years old, and still the youngest Special Education Director in the State of Montana. :shock: Our Superintendent (who just turned 29) is the youngest Superintendent in the State. :shock: And one of our high school principals is 28 and the other is 30. :shock: You should see people’s reactions when we go recruit for teachers. :ROTFL:

My wife used to get that. It was hard for some 50ish year old teachers to take direction from a 28 year old Administrator. Had to show a few on them the door when we were in bush Alaska. She is now approaching 50, and is once again an "exception" being that so many in the education profession has moved on to other interests.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:
I think I'm kind of a geek. :roll:

I was flipping through a book that I have of scenic trails through MT, and found that one takes you near a town called "Libby" in the NW corner of the state.... and my first thought was that I need to park next to the town sign and take a picture to post here later. :lol:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, there’s a road right off I-70 going through Kansas called “Jeep Road”. I told my wife that the next time we pass through, I want to stop and take a picture of our Jeep next to the sign.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:47 pm 

yellocoyote wrote:
I think I'm kind of a geek. :roll:

I was flipping through a book that I have of scenic trails through MT, and found that one takes you near a town called "Libby" in the NW corner of the state.... and my first thought was that I need to park next to the town sign and take a picture to post here later. :lol:

I have been through Libby, on my way to Seattle once. I highly recommend the drive if you ever find yourself in the exploring mood. Wild rasberries along side the road most of the way there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:57 am 

That's a good place to be for sure. Try to get down to Flathead Lake if you can. Real pretty down there. Also, about half way between Kalispel and East Glacier Park, there is a small town called Hungry Horse. There are some roads that lead south out of there that require further exploration. I used to stop in Hungry Horse for Cappuccino and dognuts.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Okay Jayme, I did some homework for you. This is what a Montana XJ forum member told me:

"www.M4x4a.org is a good place to start. Wild Bill OHV area is pretty close by and challenging. Link to a thread on Pirate here. The FS loop road around the Hungry Horse Reservoir is a pretty cool drive too. I've driven the trail up by Polebridge and it is pretty fun to. Other than those, I know there is a ton of FS roads up there."

The link mentioned above is: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686662

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:39 pm 

Also, when in Hungry Horse, a must have is the huckleberry shakes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:

Someone on another site gave me a tidbit of info about Beartooth Highway and Beartooth Pass (near MT/WY border)... they said there were a fair amount of mild/moderate OHV trails available off of the highway. Anyone know anything more about these?

Morrison Jeep Trail is located in the Clarks Fork Canyon area.

Here's a review:
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/features/1 ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yellocoyote wrote:
Only 9 days to go! :pepper:

Hopefully you can beat the first frost. The Wildflowers are awesome this year! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't wait to see the pictures. 8)

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient