It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front Suspension Squeaking - Wiper fluid and rear wiper prob
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alright guys, this may just be a stupid question, but my front suspension is squeaking when going over large bumps on the road, and speed bumps. Could this just be a lubrication issue? Or is it an upper A-arm thing? I have never replaced or modified any of my suspension parts.

Second Q: I was in Tahoe, and during freezing weather I tried to use my wiper fluid. It stopped working completely, as well as the rear wiper. The front wipers still work fine. Could this be a blown fuse?

Thanks everyone! I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I can figure it out. -=Brian=-

Provent
Suncoast TC
Weeks Stage 2
3.7 airbox
5v bosch glow plugs
3" RRO lift/JBA upper A-arms
Steel roof rails/rack
Toyo Open Country ATIII 245/75r16
RRO kicker sliders
ARB lockers
Beefier brakes
NEXT ON THE LIST...
ARB Front bumper
WAM rear bumper
Skid plates

Post subject: Re: Front Suspension Squeaking - Wiper fluid and rear wiper
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 pm 
LOST Member

I had a similiar noise going over speed humps & thru dips at slow speeds, never heard it any other time. I wound up dropping the front skid plate under the engine after poking around under the vehicle. It was full of gravel, road debris, etc. Hosed it all off, haven't heard it again.

I know it sounds silly, but you might want to check that.

2006 Limited CRD 4x4 Inferno Red, GDE ECO tune

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lube the inside of the antisway bar bushing with some silicone, use the little extension tube. This only happens in cold weather and when the vehicle is driven over a bump. During the warm months the noise is non existent.

Give the wiper motor a little nudge by moving the wiper while you have it engaged, see if that doesn't put back on track.

Check wiper / motor connection, The ice may have held the wiper inplace disengaging it from the motor.

This is a start.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys. I have no skid plates, so it is definitely a suspension issue. I will try lubing it up a bit more. Are there any nipples that need lube in the a-arms or other suspension parts, or are they permanently lubricated? The wipers are not the issue, just the wiper fluid spray feature doesn't work. My guess is still fuses, but I cant get the buggers out to check them. Darn new-fangled contraptions...

Provent
Suncoast TC
Weeks Stage 2
3.7 airbox
5v bosch glow plugs
Steel roof rails/rack
RRO kicker sliders
ARB lockers
Beefier brakes
NEXT ON THE LIST...
ARB Front bumper
WAM rear bumper
Skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:26 pm 
LOST Addict

If only the wiper fluid stopped working I would guess that a hose popped off under the hood. This happened to me. If the pump does come on, hold it on for a minute and see if a puddle forms in your driveway. On mine it was a tube that goes through the panel in the back passenger corner of the engine bay.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

check lower ball joints, that is often the squeak you hear. if bad the dealer will repair for free (due to past recalls). That has been a few members on here.

The washer fluid, if the pump sound is there when you use it just have somebody run the pump and look for fluid leaving the body somewhere, follow the fluid to the issue and fix.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:47 am 
LOST Junkie

Just to clear up your problem....you are saying that the front wiper works but the front fluid does not spray?
And the rear wiper does not work and the rear spray does not work?

Just asking so I can delve into the wiring diagrams to see if I can help :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Billwill wrote:
Just to clear up your problem....you are saying that the front wiper works but the front fluid does not spray?
And the rear wiper does not work and the rear spray does not work?

Just asking so I can delve into the wiring diagrams to see if I can help :)

I actually have that same exact problem with mine! not to hijack the thread but if you could find out what could be wrong that would be awesome

31x10.5x15 BFG AT on black steels
Front and rear tow hooks
Polk audio db6501 full range speakers and tweeters
12" Kicker Comp CVR sub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

BILLWILL - To answer your question, YES! That is exactly right. Thanks for the help!

Provent
Suncoast TC
Weeks Stage 2
3.7 airbox
5v bosch glow plugs
Steel roof rails/rack
RRO kicker sliders
ARB lockers
Beefier brakes
NEXT ON THE LIST...
ARB Front bumper
WAM rear bumper
Skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:07 am 
LOST Junkie

OK unfortunately I cannot see any quick fix solution that would point to one common failure point that would give up the exact combination of failures as listed. I have many years of electronic/mechhanical experience behind me so I am sure that I could track down the problem myself but unfortunately I am a bit far away from you guys to directly help.
Firstly as far as the washer fluid not pumping either to the front or back; no common fuse involved...the reversable pump has an inbuilt thermo-switch which should reset itself upon cooling. The pump turns one way for the front jets and the other way for the rear jets. Do you hear the pump running in either direction? An obvious question is that the resevouir is full...dont always trust the 'low washer fluid" sensor!

As regards the front wipers working but not the rear, could be a seperate unrelated problem. Fuse 17 (15 A) in the junction box (inside the cab) controls the rear wiper but there are lots of other issues determining the operation of the rear wiper: door latched and glass latched for example and there is a lot of logic built into the actual rear wiper assembly.

Basicaly the most likely culprits are firstly the right side multifunction switch and the Body control Module which is screwed on the back of the Junction box within the cab. Fluid spray problems can allso be due to the water pipes/valve/nozzles being blocked which is why I ask if you can hear the washer motor running.

If you need to know how to get hold of the wiring diagram...which includes picture and locations of all the components...and includes a theory of operations/faultfinding chapter...then please PM me directly! :BANANA:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The squeak tends to be the front sway bar - it's enough of an issue that some people add grease zerks. (images are gone but you can still get the idea)
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=12494&highlight=grease+zerks+sway+bar
Grease lasts longer than the spray but same idea.
(and if you want Poly sway bar bushings - All-J's sells them)

Skid plates tend to make echo chambers so any driveline noise is louder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

X2 on lubing the sway bar bushings and control/ A arm bushings to quite the squeaking. I use PB BLASTER on all rubber bushings. It claims to restore rubber bushings and O-rings.

Note that it can also damage rubber if left to soak completely submerged in it for a long time. I have found that simply spraying it on liberally then wipe off the excess causes no damage. I sprayed it on all of my dry rotted Volvo 240 suspension bushings and it swelled them to like new. The ride was noticeably better. Same noises started on the CRD then i PB Blasted them and noises have not come back in two years. Don't know the chemistry behind it but I assume it puts some of the petro chemicals back into the rubber?

It also melts Styrofoam cups for the scientifically inclined :frankie: