It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Late July/Early August Vacation & Wheelin' Trip in Color
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:19 am 
LOST Member

Cool deal SkyJump, hope you can! I posted this over on JF in the Colorado group and one guy doubts the KJ.......LOL!!! It's the only thing that irritates me about having this. So many think I'm the typical KJ owner and this is the 1st 4x4 I ever owned or drove offroad. Sure surprises them when I go in the same places they do, or they say "uh, you sure you wanna follow us?"

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:42 pm 

2mopar_diesels wrote:
Cool deal SkyJump, hope you can! I posted this over on JF in the Colorado group and one guy doubts the KJ.......LOL!!! It's the only thing that irritates me about having this. So many think I'm the typical KJ owner and this is the 1st 4x4 I ever owned or drove offroad. Sure surprises them when I go in the same places they do, or they say "uh, you sure you wanna follow us?"

There are always doubters...here's me doing Chinaman's IN THE RAIN. No problems...

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:47 pm 

I've got to say - the KJ is plenty capable, but it is more difficult to wheel than a Wrangler. However, it forces you to become a better driver. Ultimately, those driving skills mean more than what you wheel. Now that I'm in a JK on 35s I still plan to out wheel and out drive the guys on 37"+ tires. Those Wrangler guys just don't know what they've got or how to utilize its potential. They think going out and running Chinaman's is some big feat - gimme me a break.

Wheel it if ya got it - above all, have fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:58 pm 
LOST Member

Yeh, I know!!! I was wheeling and building XJ's long before they became popular and respected as they are now. In a crowd of like 50, mostly CJ's, Wranglers, and a few Yota's and old Bronco's.........I would be the only XJ and would get laughed at for bringing the grocery getter. Shut everyone up quick (except the Toyota's trucks, as they already knew the advantage extra wheelbase allowed), when they seen the lines I could make look easy compared to their shorter wheel base rigs. So, now I feel like I'm back at that point again and revel in it cause I know my rig, confident in the mods I've done, what it's capable of, and have the experience needed to get it through.

By the way, I'm pretty set on Buena Vista as my base camp while out there. But with Leadville and Brekenridge/Frisco just up the road, I could meet anyone for a day trip or overnight trek who wants to do a trail up that way. Such as Wheeler Lake, Radical Hill, Red Cone, or Twin Cones. Let me know, cause I won't have any set trails to do on any set days while I'm there. Just gonna try and wing it as I go.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:32 pm 

See that's the thing - every rig has strengths and weaknesses. For the driver the most important part is actually KNOWING what those things are. Yeah, my longer wheel base doesn't give me a great break over angle, but man can I climb hills! And of course there's a flip side to that...

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:29 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

2mopar_diesels wrote:
Yeh, I know!!! I was wheeling and building XJ's long before they became popular and respected as they are now. In a crowd of like 50, mostly CJ's, Wranglers, and a few Yota's and old Bronco's.........I would be the only XJ and would get laughed at for bringing the grocery getter. Shut everyone up quick (except the Toyota's trucks, as they already knew the advantage extra wheelbase allowed), when they seen the lines I could make look easy compared to their shorter wheel base rigs. So, now I feel like I'm back at that point again and revel in it cause I know my rig, confident in the mods I've done, what it's capable of, and have the experience needed to get it through.

By the way, I'm pretty set on Buena Vista as my base camp while out there. But with Leadville and Brekenridge/Frisco just up the road, I could meet anyone for a day trip or overnight trek who wants to do a trail up that way. Such as Wheeler Lake, Radical Hill, Red Cone, or Twin Cones. Let me know, cause I won't have any set trails to do on any set days while I'm there. Just gonna try and wing it as I go.

We're getting rain here in BV right now. It is snowing 300 feet above us.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:37 pm 

2mopar_diesels, I added a little something to your conversation over at JF. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:24 pm 
LOST Member

BVCRD wrote:

Hey, seeing how you live right there, can you recommend a good campground, or a place close where free dispersed camping on BLM or NF land is allowed?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Like i said Mopar if i am around me and Sky well take you down there bro. I need a place to test the CRD libby out after it's surgery. plus my rubi needs to stretch its legs a bit.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:51 am 
LOST Member

JeepBumm68 wrote:
Like i said Mopar if i am around me and Sky well take you down there bro. I need a place to test the CRD libby out after it's surgery. plus my rubi needs to stretch its legs a bit.

Look forward to it!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:58 pm 

2mopar_diesels wrote:
BVCRD wrote:

Hey, seeing how you live right there, can you recommend a good campground, or a place close where free dispersed camping on BLM or NF land is allowed?

There are many places. We go about 10 miles southwest of town, up past Cottonwood lake. We have also camped in the 4 mile area around Chinaman. Lots of pull offs. Also, on the north side of 285 just east of Johnson Village you can camp anywhere in there. Lots of trails too. From 285 about 6 miles east of Johnson Village, there is a road, dirt, (the same one you get to Chinaman on) that goes south for 30 miles down to Salida. It has trails off of it. I go elk hunting down there. Lots of camping spots. Cougar and bear in the area.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:50 pm 
LOST Member

BVCRD wrote:
There are many places. We go about 10 miles southwest of town, up past Cottonwood lake. We have also camped in the 4 mile area around Chinaman. Lots of pull offs. Also, on the north side of 285 just east of Johnson Village you can camp anywhere in there. Lots of trails too. From 285 about 6 miles east of Johnson Village, there is a road, dirt, (the same one you get to Chinaman on) that goes south for 30 miles down to Salida. It has trails off of it. I go elk hunting down there. Lots of camping spots. Cougar and bear in the area.

Yeh, I've been viewing that whole area on Google Earth, and looks like a great place to explore and get lost in!!! Your talking about FR187/FR185 and Ute Trail down into Salida right? You have any pics from around there?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:47 pm 

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreatio ... bins.shtml

I stayed here one hunting season. Bassam Cabin. It is about 4 miles as the crow flys from the camp sight I told you about.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q ... &FORM=BYFD

Camp on road 185

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:52 pm 

Cottonwood Lake
Description - At about 9,000' elevation, the area around Cottonwood Lake is worth exploring. Be sure to swing your scope or binoculars up to the cliffs opposite the lake. You might see mountain goats. Watch along the canyon for bighorn sheep. Camping is available here, too. Be sure to spend some time investigating the huge willow carr above the lake. Wilson's Snipe, Fox Sparrow, and Cooper's Hawk are known inhabitants.
Habitat - Pond/Lake/Reservoir, Mixed Conifer Forest, Streamside Willow, Krummholz, Alpine Tundra
Directions - From the traffic light in Buena Vista, go west on 306 (Cottonwood Pass Road) about 5.5 miles to Road 344 (dirt) and turn left. The lake is along this road in about three miles.

Great fishing here. Camp about 1-2 miles above the lake. Elevation is around 10,000'

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:39 am 
LOST Member

BVCRD wrote:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreation/reservations_rentals/historic_cabins.shtml

I stayed here one hunting season. Bassam Cabin. It is about 4 miles as the crow fly's from the camp sight I told you about.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q ... &FORM=BYFD

Camp on road 185

That area looks awesome to go camping and exploring in!!!! I can see alot of NFS roads in the area via Google Earth, that are not even detailed on the maping software. What are the condition of the roads in the area? I'm sure as long as I stick to numbered roads I'll be fine if it doesn't rain, but you've been out there and have a better idea of what to expect. We will probably camp and trail ride in that general area the 1st couple days before heading in closer to BV for the remainder of our trip.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:44 am 

The trail #185 headed south into Salida is rutted some as you get higher up. There are moderate rocks and it gets greasy right after a rain. Most trails out here are that way. They get slick but have a good bottom in them. You're not going to sink out of sight. TinCup Pass is mostly rock. Trails above timberline are like that. We get afternoon rain (Monsoon) most everyday in July. Not a great amount, but you can count of the brief T storm. You don't want to be afoot out in the open when they roll in. The lightning nails the unsuspecting tree hugger hiker out here every year. Lower trails are sandy in the bottoms. Many use dry stream beds. If you want to camp by water, I sugest the trail above Cottonwood lake. There is a nice sized stream with pull off camp sights all along it. There is a campground right above the lake it you want a bathroom. We just boondock camp and run down there to take a crap. Another area is the trails by St. Elmo. They're not too difficult, but have some old mining relics and ghost towns around them. It is near the east side of TinCup Pass. We have 2 hotsprings close by too. One is clothes optional after dark if you're into that.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 am 

Another nice ride is Hagerman Pass west of Leadville. Lot's of history there. The tunnel used to be the only way to go west from Denver. It is at the west end of Touquoise Lake. Road is off to the left. You follow an old railroad grade for a while. Scenery to no end. Heavy snow years like this one makes it impassible until late July.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:16 pm 
LOST Member

Mi
BVCRD wrote:
The trail #185 headed south into Salida is rutted some as you get higher up. There are moderate rocks and it gets greasy right after a rain. Most trails out here are that way. They get slick but have a good bottom in them. You're not going to sink out of sight. TinCup Pass is mostly rock. Trails above timberline are like that. We get afternoon rain (Monsoon) most everyday in July. Not a great amount, but you can count of the brief T storm. You don't want to be afoot out in the open when they roll in. The lightning nails the unsuspecting tree hugger hiker out here every year. Lower trails are sandy in the bottoms. Many use dry stream beds. If you want to camp by water, I sugest the trail above Cottonwood lake. There is a nice sized stream with pull off camp sights all along it. There is a campground right above the lake it you want a bathroom. We just boondock camp and run down there to take a crap. Another area is the trails by St. Elmo. They're not too difficult, but have some old mining relics and ghost towns around them. It is near the east side of TinCup Pass. We have 2 hotsprings close by too. One is clothes optional after dark if you're into that.

Thanks for the local trail report.......Im all too familiar with the high elevation trails around Colorado, as I've drove the Silverton/Ouray trail system five different times since 1st going there in 2001. I'm already getting psyched about just getting out there and driving to find out where the roads lead! Hope I can hook up with somebody so I dont have to go it alone while in the Arkansas Mts area. Since, as you've said, it tends to be pretty desolate.

I'm planning a route that leads into the hills just north of Texas Creek and head in a west-northwest direction eventually ending up in Castle Rock/Bassam Park. Then base out of there a couple days while exploring as many side roads and trails I can find.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:32 pm 

You could head up Hwy 9 towards Guffey. Before you reach Hartsel, there are numerous dirt roads that head west towards Bassam Park and the camp sight. That is a real pretty drive. We sometimes take Hwy 9 when we are going to Canon City. You could go to the Colorado Division of Wildlife page, and there are maps and trails on there of all over the state. You can get maps and GPS coordinates of the area. Zoom in or out, even aerial pics. One book that I never leave home without is the Colorado Atlas and Gazetter. It has topo maps of the entire state including public lands and back roads. GPS too.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Gazettee ... 0899332889

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:55 pm 
LOST Member

BVCRD wrote:
You could head up Hwy 9 towards Guffey. Before you reach Hartsel, there are numerous dirt roads that head west towards Bassam Park and the camp sight. That is a real pretty drive. We sometimes take Hwy 9 when we are going to Canon City. You could go to the Colorado Division of Wildlife page, and there are maps and trails on there of all over the state. You can get maps and GPS coordinates of the area. Zoom in or out, even aerial pics. One book that I never leave home without is the Colorado Atlas and Gazetter. It has topo maps of the entire state including public lands and back roads. GPS too.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Gazettee ... 0899332889

Yup! Already have that one and Charles Wells trail guide books of the state. In fact, the Colorado gazetteer is probably one of the best and most comprehensive in the series of all the states I own (approx 17 as of now). I have it all marked up with details I've written down on the trails I've done.

Will you be available to meet up when I get into town, sometime around the 28th of July?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next